1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM sets up 'Used' Volt Batteries in PV Storage System

Discussion in 'GM Hybrids and EVs' started by SageBrush, Jun 25, 2015.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Used Chevy Volt Batteries Power GM Data Center - Gas 2

Details are sparse, and I presume this is really just a proof of concept/Advert, but a little voice in my head kept saying "Wait. They already have dead batteries ?" Perhaps the batteries are not from retail Volts.

One can only hope.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if they regenerate them in some way, or if 80% is not good enough for driving.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't understand what you mean by regenerate, but don't worry too much about the 80% figure. Note the lawyerly 'up to' preceeding the number.

I presume GM has some sort of time amortized table they use to decide if a battery is unsuitable for car use. E.g, if a battery less than a year old has already lost 20% or more of capacity it may qualify as defective, whereas 20% in an older battery would not.

#3 SageBrush, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right. i'm just thinking there might be a way to replace the bad cells and balance the pack.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Any retail packs found defective already would be under warranty. So far as I know GM has not reserved itself the right to refurbish packs as a warranty fulfillment in the way you describe. Neither has Toyota, for that matter. And neither company has any way to sell such a refurbished pack.

As we have seen here dozens of times, refurbishment is a very hit or miss game -- more miss than hit I think. And, it is quite labor intensive. I'll be amazed if any car manufacturer ever gets involved in refurbs.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, i was thinking refurb for the new use, not to put back in the car. it is labor intensive, but if anyone can do it, it would be the manufacturers, certainly better than the shade tree battery refurb wannabe's.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ah.

Simpler and cheaper I suspect to just limit the SOC range. In any case, I'm pretty convinced that this is just a proof of concept (or stunt, for the more cynical.) I very much doubt anybody asked if it could turn a business profit

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pretty sure I read not too long ago that Toyota was refurbishing plants with solar panels and using old Prius packs for the battery peak storage. I think it was in some article about them reclaiming an archaic machine from Brazil or something so that its workers know how to build everything again and not just watch a machine.

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There was post here, back when, about Toyota using old hybrid packs to peak shave or time shift a stores daily power use to night time. No PV involved, but it does save of electric rates.

I believe, likely for life cycle studies, that a BEVs pack is 'dead' at 80% capacity. Whatever, the classification is, the battery still can be used for other purposes. Experiments with hybrid packs for energy storage where going on back when I had the gen2.

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's in this two year old video, so it's nothing new.