1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM shows off their environmental image at the car show

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by morpheusx, Mar 8, 2008.

1. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I took these pics at the car show last week in Cleveland. I thought some fellow PriusChatters will enjoy these. By the way I grilled the Chevy rep about the Malibu Hybrid, He told me the EPA numbers are 24 MPG City, 32 MPG Hway. So I mentioned that I owned a Prius. He responded I bet you don't get close to the EPA numbers either do you, and I said actually I do. And then I got the Well the Prius isn't in the same class, its much too small for accurate comparisons. Must be the new GM propaganda, maybe Malorn will chime in and verify:). Anyway here are some pics of their "Clean Fuel" display.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h132/morpheusxtb1/IMG_0171.jpg
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h132/morpheusxtb1/IMG_0170.jpg
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h132/morpheusxtb1/IMG_0167.jpg
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h132/morpheusxtb1/IMG_0174.jpg

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course it isn't. The Malibu Hybrid is in a class of its own. The mild mild hybrids :high5::biggrin1:

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Was the Malibu on the top 10 worst car lists recently?

I see they're still pushing fuel cells. I guess someone didn't get the memo.

4. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i agree the malibu sucks compared to the prius but lets not forget it is a hybrid. This is a step in the right direction and GM should be commended for their efforts.

Just be glad its not a display of the latest and greatest gas guzzler.

5. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually, I don't know about that. The Malibu "hybrid" only boasts about a 2 MPG improvement over the non-hybrid version. Its key selling point is that it's a relatively cheap upgrade to the hybrid option.

In my view, GM deserves to get thwacked for the way they approached the Malibu "hybrid" because they created a car for people who want to say they bought the cheapest hybrid they could find, without getting any of the real benefits. It's for hybrid posers, if you will.

I guess he's right in a way. The Malibu doesn't appear to have a GPS option or a "Smart Key" equivalent and the Prius is a hatchback.

I hope, by the way, that he wasn't referring to interior space. In that respect, they're actually pretty comparable.

______________Malibu__________Prius
    Head room_____39.4/37.2_______39.1/37.3
    Leg room______42.2/37.6_______41.9/38.6
    Shoulder room_55.9/53.9_______55.0/52.9
    Hip room______53.0/52.1_______51.0/51.6

My mom had a Malibu. It felt more cramped to me than the Prius (I think because of the Prius' ample windows) and it was always having problems with the air conditioner (it had to be fixed several times while still under the warranty period).

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The only problem I have with the Malibu Hybrid is that it doesn't increase MPG (by much) and doesn't lower emissions either (compared to a non-hybrid version). So, when people finally realize this, they will think its a scam (it kinda is) and by association, they will think all hybrids are also a waste of money (like this one). Judging by comments I see on other auto blogs, a lot of people already feel this way (because they are ignorant).

Thanks GM. Doing for hybrids what you did for automotive diesels back in the 80's.

7. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually they even had a model / spokewoman on the microphone talking about the fuel cells and how the only emissions from the vehicle is "drinkable" water.

8. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

A hybrid in name only as others have already noted. It only serves to diminish what people perceive as the likely benefits of hybrids. It is really just a half-*** way of making hybrids to improve your green image.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  10. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Man if this car doesn't get close to it's EPA numbers we might as well go back to the days of throwing lumps of coal into a boiler and steaming down the road!

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but not at the expense of the other hybrids. Remember what happened to the diesels or the 4-6-8 engines?

Hopefully Toyota/Honda/Ford reputations are strong enough that the Malibu Hybrid and other BAS hybrids don't pull down the rest of us.

There's a reason why it's Canada's most affordable mid-sized hybrid. (funny thing is, at $26,995, the HCH-II isn't far behind at $26,200ish and is just as spacious and waaaaay better mileage)

12. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    environmental image my a$$!

24-32 mpg is better but neither good nor brilliant. GM must realise that you cannot just stick a hybrid badge on a car and think it'll make it all OK with the environmentalists. Car manufacturers are doing something that bothers me. They use hybrid technology to increase the power and acceleration instead of using the added efficiency to reduce fuel consumption.

And the Volt? I get the idea that GM execs are sniggering in their palms going: "Just keep them thinking we care about the planet while we keep selling fuel guzzlers".

13. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    GM had a very similar display at the San Francisco auto show a few months ago.
    Correct. GPS nav system isn't even an option nor is there a back-up camera option. The funny thing is the press tries to claim it's a competitor to Accord, Camry and Altima. All three have GPS nav system options while the latter two can have back-up cameras and smart key systems (standard even on non-hybrid Altimas).

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But it must be a green car, did you notice all the green on the display.

GM execs thinking,
    "It worked for diesel cars so it should work for hybrids then we can get back to making V8s."

16. fan-atic

fan-atic New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Boulder Bum was on the right track: interior volumes of the Prius and the new Malibu are almost the same. Prius has 96 cu-ft. The 2008 Malibu has 95 cu-ft according to the EPA website, or 97.7 cu-ft according to Edmonds.com. What does GM say? Well, they refuse to publish that particular spec....

17. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They must be doing it right becasue it is the North American Car of the Year.;)

My friend has a Malibu and it's very nice car.

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or mingling with the right people and putting money in the right pockets. ;)

19. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i like the styling, it would be great if it had the gs450h powertrain.

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believe OnStar has GPS capabilities. I wouldn't want to pay monthly fees, but when the updated map with the new highways to my parents' comes out for Garmin, it will likely run a $100 or more.

If BAS was downgraded to a basic auto stop, and made standard on all new models, then GM could be doing more than Toyota.