1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM tries to unplug Volt hype

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Mar 23, 2007.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is anyone at all surprised? Anyone at all?

This is the sentence that pisses me off the most:
    I can't wait to see how malorn spins this...

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

and DC pissing away millions in partnership with Ballard the great money pit.
    Fuel Cell I'm guessing....... never.

4. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The reason that Toyota hasn't moved in to plug-ins is that the battery technology isn't there. GM came out with the Volt and didn't bother to mention that the battery technology isn't there. :rolleyes: I hope that they succeed with the Volt, I really do, but until it's on the dealer's lot, it's just a fantasy, unfortunately.

http://priuschat.com/Toyota-doesn-t-see-pl...oon-t28254.html

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And so it starts...

until they deliver something like the volt or a cutting edge hybrid to the market they have lost our family's money. We're looking to buy a new car in 2-4 years. Right now it looks like another toyota... :-(

6. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Mar 23 2007, 07:08 AM) [snapback]410767[/snapback]</div>
    Just to give the "Devil his Due", GM has stated from the Get-Go that the battery technology wasn't there yet.

7. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Mar 23 2007, 08:34 AM) [snapback]410797[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but the difference is that they went very close to promising to deliver it. I still hope a123 systems can solve the battery technology. This would be revolutionary car!

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Mar 23 2007, 08:34 AM) [snapback]410797[/snapback]</div>
    Right. I'll agree that they have but that's an easy out. I could argue that Plug-In Prii will be the greatest vehicles on the road when all of our energy is produced through green technologies. As long as I follow it up with "however, currently 79% of our energy comes from carbon-based fossil fuels and we're nowhere near the pie-in-the-sky dream of 100% green energy" it's all okay.

Oh, here's one:
    The overpolulation of the Earth will become history when we colonize the moon. Keep in mind that the technology isn't here yet.

Here's an article for history's sake:
    Ford bails out on hybrid promise

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 23 2007, 09:13 AM) [snapback]410814[/snapback]</div>
    Fortunately, some of us remember that history.

I was especially moved by this statement in the article: "In 2000, Ford promised to raise the fuel economy of its SUV fleet by 25 percent over five years, but abandoned that commitment three years later." Because when the 5 years had finally passed, their SUV fleet efficiency went down. That step backward made the hybrid promise even more frustrating. Then at year 6, they stated the hybrid program would be scaled back.

Promises are just words. Vehicles like Camry-Hybrid are the result of many years of action. Don't fall for the hype of concept vehicles. Far too often, they end up getting the label of vaporware.

10. jonathanrohr

jonathanrohr New Member

::tear::

We need a breaking heart emoticon.

Part of me wants to believe that they are calming things down in order to make the competition complacent, and will still come out with the car on time and at expectations. Yet, with automakers, their strategy almost always seems to be the other way around. Can anyone cite a time when a company has under-promised and over-delivered?

Good thing they're still doing the Camaro though <_<

now some of these :( :( :(

and one of these :angry: for you rick wagoner

11. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM: "Lithium battery technology just isn't there yet."

That's not what Toyota think. The president Watanabe himself has told the world that the next Prius (late next year) will be Lithium-ion, and the head of hybrid development has also said that it will have a 9-mile electric range.

GM will look pretty silly if they're still saying all this next year when the new Prius is in the showrooms.

12. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clett @ Mar 23 2007, 12:30 PM) [snapback]410926[/snapback]</div>
    Except didn't Toyota say less than 3 months ago that lithium-ion batteries aren't ready for plug-in hybrids?

http://info.detnews.com/newsblog/index.cfm?category=Toyota
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("article")</div>

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 23 2007, 03:11 AM) [snapback]410748[/snapback]</div>
    Speaking of the Devil (who said he'd deliver this steaming pile of vaporware to me personally), I don't have to wait for malorn's spin. I have an 'ignore' list of ONE. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Mar 23 2007, 07:08 AM) [snapback]410767[/snapback]</div>
    Wait! ... don't forget ~ GM's OWN HEAD Engineer contradicted the Head GM/Liar ... stating YES, the battery technology IS already here. (He's since been sent to outer most Siberia, most likely :lol: )

14. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Mar 23 2007, 01:31 PM) [snapback]410964[/snapback]</div>
    I don't remember GM emphasizing that the battery technology wasn't there yet. If they did, they didn't say it very loudly and drowned it out with their booming announcements of plans for having the Volt in dealer showrooms in two years. The words that they whispered didn't align with their showy displays and glowing promises.

15. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Mar 23 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]410976[/snapback]</div>
    Like most Priuschat members have always said.... GM wants us to believe the next GREAT thing is around the corner, and then to tell us to buy their SUV gas hogs. And when people take on their marketing hype and tell GM to sell it, they come out and say it is not YET ready... buy more of our SUVs.

:lol:

16. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Mar 23 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]410976[/snapback]</div>
    Then you weren't paying attention.

I did a google search of articles from January 7th when the Volt was first shown:

MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16503845/
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("MSNBC")</div>
    Edmunds.com: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...rticleId=119088
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Edmunds")</div>
    AutoblogGreen: http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/01/07/de...is-the-chevy-v/
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("AutoblogGreen")</div>
    CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2007/AUTOS/01/07/detroi...cept/index.html
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("CNN")</div>

17. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Here is the interview where Watanabe says next Prius will be lithium-ion:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/conte...10/b4024075.htm

And here is where Shinichi Abe, head of Toyota's hybrid division, states 9-miles without using petrol or diesel for the next Prius:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/japan/story/0,,1743808,00.html

It is a common Japanese company principle to keep new things very hush-hush and then announce them only very shortly before release. This is done partly to keep the competition guessing, but also because they do not like hype as much as companies in some other countries.

18. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Mar 23 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]411006[/snapback]</div>
    I guess I wasn't paying attention to those small paragraphs when the other 98% of the articles' space was all about the promises of the vehicle. I don't really care about it though - I guess I never really liked the ultra sportiness of the prototype anyways, too small dcksh of a design. What they need to do to win my money is make a sort of cobalt - sized hybrid with 80 mpg; then I will consider GM for my next car.

19. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Mar 23 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]411006[/snapback]</div>
    Oh gee, I guess I wasn't. Oh well. Guess I won't be buying one of their cars either. Oh well. :rolleyes:

20. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarkMN @ Mar 23 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]411037[/snapback]</div>
    Ah but JackDodge's point was the he believed GM hid the fact that the battery technology for the Volt doesn't exist yet or buried the message under all the hype. However, the fact is that just about every article you find from the Detroit Auto Show that is more than 2 paragraphs long, devotes at least a paragraph to the fact that the car isn't ready ready for production because the batteries don't exist yet. I would say that's a pretty good sign that GM put that message out for all to hear.