1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM's Hybrid/EV engineering director Bob Kruse resigns

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Oct 2, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  2. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Kruse will be replaced by Micky Bly, who has been director of hybrid vehicle integration.....More recently, the Volt integration work has also been part of Bly's responsibilities."

Is this good or not ?

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    how could it be bad?? a change in leadership on a program that at best can be classified "in neutral" and could be classified as "in reverse"

with a program like that, i believe change is the FIRST option

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you think Kruse was the cause.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    he was in charge of the program, all decisions ultimately went thru him. sure he has to answer to someone, but if i am paying someone to get something done and all they can do is bring me unacceptable options, what am i gonna do??

6. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It makes sense to me. Consider the MPG benefits of a Prius, Civic Hybrid, or Ford Fusion Hybrid versus the MPG of a Malibu or Suburban hybrid. The current leader of hybrid technology at GM has failed. It is time to dismiss him from his job and get someone else in there that has fresh ambition and will actually make something happen that will be on par with the competition.

I will always remember when gasoline was at $4.00 per gallon and I walked onto a Chevy dealer lot to look at the Tahoe hybrid and realized that it only got about 3mpg better than the non-hybrid version. When I mentioned it to a group of salesmen that were talking amongst themselves, they all laughed and said "Yep. It's only about 3mpg better." When you have employees laughing at their own product, something is wrong.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    And yet, in part this is an artifact of how badly MPG serves us as a guide. If I travel 100 miles in a Yaris vs a Prius 100/33= 3 100/50 = 2
    I have save 1 gallon in 100 miles

But in a full sized pickup Gas 100/15 = 6.66 Hybrid 100/18 = 5.55
    I have saved 1.11 gallons every 100 miles but 18 vs 15 does not LOOK as impressive as 50 vs 33 in MPGs

1 person likes this.
  8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    An 18 mpg vehicle carrying one passenger on a city errand sucks fuel, hybrid or not. In fact, at about 3 times the rate of a Prius. And yes, I have heard all about that trip last year when the suv was loaded to the brim.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Jimbo, that's the exact same logic Lutz used a couple years back to explain why GM was focusing less on hybrids and high-efficiency vehicles and focusing instead on garnishing 1 - 2 mpg from their biggest guzzlers. Mathematically, it makes perfect sense. However, I would rather see people who honestly don't need those guzzlers trade them in for something more efficient. There should be a government program for that.

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Tony to some degree you are preaching to the choir, I own a Prius. But I support the idea that every segment needs reduced dependence on petroleum. Just like the idea that every single city dweller needs to own a Smart car to improve parking congestion, the idea that every single driver needs to be in a Prius to reduce petroleum usage ignores the reality that individuals have differing priorities.

My agricultural friends feel they need a vehicle that says F-150 on it. Better and better Prius will not help that, they WILL buy a work truck. (There are 3 Prius in a community of 18,000. I assume we are the non farmers)

I bemoan the fact that GM never completed the Saturn Vue Two Mode Hybrid, the car I really wanted was never sold. In 10 years when I am in the market again, perhaps some small SUV/station wagon will be hybidized, for now a hatchback is as close to my ideal as I can get.