1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM's Hybrid SUV was a FAKE!

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by naterprius, Jan 11, 2006.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, I know malorn is going to call this "BS," but this is not opinion, but a matter of fact, so there is nothing to disagree with.

The fact is, GM's two mode Hybrid powertrain was faked with a plastic cover labeled "Hybrid."

Here is my source: AUTOWEEK!

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...=73232253362074

Read the line about "We later learned the actual prototypes are out in the real world..." They mentioned that the car failed to demonstrate any hybrid functions.

The Truth About Cars mocks GM's claim that the Hybrids actually exist, and challenges someone to peel back the engine cover on the Tahoe Hybrid at the Auto Show:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/content/1...08925848489408/

So is the whole GM Hybrid a sham? It was faked for AutoWeek, was it faked for the Auto Show?

Nate

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I haven't read the articles yet but I would caution against asserting indisputable fact on the basis of two recently published articles (even if journalism standards were not in decline).

3. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Concept and show cars that don't have all the functions claimed? That is a shocker.

Next we'll hear that people in bars lie about their ages.

IMO this isn't newsworthy. The fact that GM actually has test mules driving around surprised me more than the supposed scandal of the show cars.

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The fact may be wrong, but it's still a question of fact. Can someone at the show look under the plastic cover please? We'll see for sure if there is anything under there.

Nate

5. wilco

wilco New Member

Same here.

6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Appears as the debut of the Tucker automobile, where Tucker was working against a lack of parts and money, just to meet a deadline. The deadline being a show to reveal his cars.

So new hat, old trick.

7. benighted

benighted New Member

"The real trick stuff on Graphyte is found inside the automatic transmission case where GM has built two small, efficient electric motors into the system. Powered by a 300-volt nickel metal-hydride pack under the rear seat, the motors are computer-controlled from under the hood. The two motors are less expensive than using one large one as in the Prius system, GM says, and are easier to package, plus they deliver a fuel economy benefit."

It looks like they are either being intentionally misleding or they don't know what they are talking about. Last time I checked the Prius had 2 electric motors too.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what the issue is here...did GM specifically state that the floor model was a working prototype? Otherwise I agree W/San Carlos....this is a non-issue. Many display vehicles at car shows don't actually work for a number of reasons.

9. benighted

benighted New Member

The floor model WAS a working prototype. What they meant was other prototypes are out driving around too, disguised as pickups.

10. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One 'show car' I saw on TV the other day had small electric motors at each wheel. If GM did that, then they are different than the Prius. The two motors in a Prius don't do exactly the same job.

I'd like a good warranty on the small motors, though. Larger makes me think it'll last longer, even if two smaller ones spread the same workload evenly...

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The issue is, no member of the public has seen the two-mode hybrid's parts and pieces. No one is allowed near it. When Autoweek was allowed to drive one, it turned out NOT to be a two-mode hybrid, but only a plastic engine compartment cover with the logo "hybrid" on it. Autoweek was then told that the REAL hybrids were out on road tests. So, where is the hybrid GM claims to have? Some are starting to suspect it doesn't actually exist.

Nate

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Who is some? You and EricGo? I am sure it is just all a big hoax. ;) The engineers at GM could never figure out how to assemble a hybrid system and make it work, they only know how to assemble 8, 10 and 12 cylinder powerplants that get less than 10 mpg.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see

14. slortz

slortz New Member

I understand the argument that concept cars are often not fully working models when they are showcased but in this particular situation, if it turns out that it is indeed true that there doesn't exist an actual working hybrid model of the SUV, it does feel like a bit of a cheat since that is really the whole point of that particular concept.
    I can be forgiving of some other concept car that is highlighting some new functionality, be it new aerodynamics or innovative doors or whatever, and then not have something like the engine in it since that is not really the point of the concept--but when the whole point of the concept is to say here is the new potential hybrid powered vehicle and then not have that in there--very weak.

Here is the new hydrogen fuel-cell hybrid-electric hovercar! Oh yeah, it's really just a regular car cause we haven't developed the technology yet. :huh:

15. slortz

slortz New Member

In searching for info on the Graphyte, came across this article by Christian J. Wardlaw. http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/ar...icle_id_int/228
    I can't believe he says this, "The concept vehicle is equipped with giant 22-inch wheels wearing Goodyear all-terrain tires, which reinforce the notion that the Graphyte is a real SUV designed for real off-roading." No one interested in off-roading would ever slap 22-inch rims on there. That's just dumb.

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You folks don't understand how important 'perception' is to the media. This is a great example.

17. slortz

slortz New Member

When you say "media" are you talking about GM's marketing media or outside media reporting like this guy's article?