1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Go ahead and flip me off!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Irunnoft, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Irunnoft

Irunnoft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok, so I've had my 2008 Prius since 11/05/07 and I'm loving it. I live in the mountains of Western NC and have a 64 mile commute (one way) to work. The terrain is mountainous (probably not as pronounced as, say, Colorado) with lots of ups and downs and few plain old flat stretches of road.

Since I purchased my Prius, I've been reading this forum and pouring over all kinds of posts. Just thought I'd post my observations....don't worry, the provocative thread title will all make sense in a moment.

Back in early November, it was unseasonably warm here in NC and I got super gas mileage out of my car. I believe the temps were still in the upper 60's and even lower 70's in the daytime. I pulled very close to 600mpg out of my first tank of gas. Since then, the temps have now dropped and we are starting to get very cold nighttime lows again.

I've got an engine block heater on order and expect it to be shipped within the next week and a half. I've also blocked my front grill leaving only the bottom two slots open. I thought I would try driving the same route to and from work and test the mpg at various speeds. Just for clarification, I drive with the cruise control on. I have only a total of three stop signs in the commute. Almost all of the 64 miles are interstate. I don't start my car up to "warm up" the car before heading out. I use an ice scraper and then turn the air on the next setting up from low, set at 72 and on the "feet and defrost" mode. I do this until the windshield is clear (all ice melted and not fogged up) and then I turn it off. When the windshield becomes fogged again, which it eventually does, I turn the air back on the same setting, but on the lowest possible fan speed.

Driving 55MPH, I average about 54.5MPG on a tank of gas. I also can drive about 513-517 miles on a tank of gas before I feel like I'm pushing my luck with the last blinking pip on the fuel meter.

Getting tired of having everybody riding up my tailpipe and passing me, I thought I'd try travelling at 58MPH on the next tank of gas. I'd only driven about 130-140 miles before I'd burned through half a tank of gas. I averaged only about 47MPG. on this tank of gas. I had about three pips left on the gas meter and I'd driven about 320 miles before I filled up again.

On this current tank of gas, I'm driving 53MPH and I'm averaging 60.1MPG. I haven't finished this tank of gas yet, but I'm at 300 miles on half a tank so that's great, in my estimation. I was VERY surprised to find the difference between 55MPH and 53MPH. I'm seeing around or slightly over a 10MPG gain by driving 53 vs. 58. Just five miles an hour makes a big difference in the average fuel consumed. WOW! I'd never have guessed that. Funny how the Prius has totally changed the way I approach driving. I'm much more aware of my speed and even the routes I drive. I was also surprised at the difference in MPG I achieved by just lowering my speed from 55 to 53!

So why the title for this thread? I got passed by a grandmaw yesterday....well, I don't know if she was an actual grandmaw, but she was an elderly lady. As she throttled her Buick Riviera past me, her bony middle finger stuck up in the cabin of her car - the unmistakeable driver's salute - that indicated her displeasure with my cruising speed. However, looking at that 60.1 average (and at times in the life of this tank of gas, it's been as high as 62.4) I say, go ahead and flip me off. I'll laugh at you when I pass by the gas station and you're filling up!

As a side note, I don't think I'll push my luck and try driving any slower than 53MPH on the highway, but the posted speed limit for half of my commute is 55MPH, so I can kind of get away with it. The other half has a posted speed of 60MPH.

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Irunnoft @ Nov 29 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]545738[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you might keep a $100 bill handy to wave at them. I don't know what gas is going for in your neck of the woods, but in the S.F. Bay Area, it will be $100 a fill for the Riviera by next Memorial Day weekend. If you like the $100 bill idea, get the new ones with the big numbers and pictures, so there is no mistake about what you are waving.

3. Irunnoft

Irunnoft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Nov 29 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]545750[/snapback]</div>

The last time I filled up, I paid $2.99 a gallon for gas. That station has since raised the price to $3.02 for regular unleaded. The highest I've seen gas yet around here was $3.17 a gallon. For those of you who use Apple computers, there is a gas widget you can install on your dashboard of your mac. I found the widget by searching widgets on the apple webpage. I forgot the exact name, but you'll find it if you search. For my neck of the woods, this widget has been very accurate. It lists the name of the gas station, the address and the prices for the various grades of fuel.

I like the $100 bill idea, but I don't know how many of the local yokels around here could count to a 'hunderd! ;) :D

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Irunnoft @ Nov 29 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]545738[/snapback]</div>
    This might help:
    [​IMG]

Click up your speed a couple of mph going downgrade and click down your speed a couple of mph going upgrade and you'll also see good performance by avoiding high engine rpms.

As for defrosting, often you can bring in outside air and warm it up a bit and take out the humidity. I'm also testing interior RAIN-X that seems to work IF you can stand the internal streaks. At least you're no longer staring through the fogged up windows . . . now they are just streaked up with the trails from the last fogging drops. The fog droplets coalesce into larger drops that run down the inside of the glass.

Bob Wilson

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    People who drive 53 on the highway deserve to be flipped off. I routinely drive 65-80 as fast as "normal" traffic, and have a lifetime average of 51.5 mpgs over almost 2 years and 48,000 miles. You don't have to be a moving roadblock to get good mpgs.

EDIT: In LA where I drive "normal speed" is 75-80, posted or not.

6. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Irunnoft you do not deserve to be flipped off as long you are not stopping traffic.
    Drivers should remember that the speed limit is the maximum limit.
    Some think it is the minimum speed you can drive.
    These are the people that stay in the left lane.

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Nov 29 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]545810[/snapback]</div>
    C'mon. Nobody deserves to be flipped off for driving two MPH below the speed limit. If someone is driving 10 MPH below and is blocking a long line of traffic, well . . .

Chill and let our new driver enjoy the thrill of the MPG chase.

8. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Nov 29 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]545810[/snapback]</div>
    The OP's speed limit is either 55 mph or 60 mph, and not 65-75 mph as you may thought when you wrote this reply. So, driving at 53 mph is completely acceptable. I usually drive at 65 mph on michigan 70 mph highways.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just stay in the rightmost lane, and don't let yourself become part of a moving roadblock.

I like the $100 bill suggestion :_> but it seems like it would be hard to grab and wave it in time to be seen.

10. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Nov 29 2007, 12:44 PM) [snapback]545813[/snapback]</div>
    I drive 55 MPH in my Integra. I hate it. But, by slowing down from 70 mph to 55 mph, I've seen my MPG jump from ~ 32 mpg to ~ 38 mpg. I drive in the right lane (slow) and often have to deal with the "look" of people behind me who can't understand why I'm not driving at least 65 mph (posted max speed limit). They wait, shake their head, turn to their left and then pass....not too often I get "the bird" but I do often "get the look".

So, in a way, I do drive 10 mph below the speed limit....for cars.....but I am driving the speed limit for trucks and cars with trailers (despite the fact that I am neither). No one else is paying my gas bills ($3.50/gallon for regular unleaded in Pleasanton) and even if they did, the point isn't to make gas less expensive, it is to use less of it.

I can't wait until I can justify purchase of my next car (Prius).....but I'm going to have to. Bah!

11. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Nov 29 2007, 02:31 PM) [snapback]545810[/snapback]</div>
    First, western NC is a little different than LA. Second, you have no right to go 80 in a 60, even aside from the wasting gas issues. If you are trying to intimidate other drivers to get out of your way so you can do 80 in a 60, then you deserve to be flipped off.

I have never flipped off a driver for going a moderate speed, but I have given hand signals (the hands upraised "what are you doing??" sign) to people who sat on my tail even though I was doing the speed limit and speeding up wouldn't get either one of us to our destination any faster (eg. long lines before the traffic lights). And this goes back before my Prius days.

I used to commute at 68 mph on the main stretch, and I would arrive stressed, although I didn't really realize it. I tried as an experiment to go 64 for gas savings, and I was so much more relaxed, I was amazed. It turns out most people weren't driving 68 as I thought, and I was always frustrated by some idiot slowpoke in front of me. When I slowed down just 4 mph, I suddenly matched the speed of most people, and didn't need to change lanes and it didn't seem people were upset with me either.

Also, a lot of people think you need to keep close to the car in front or else people will jump in front of you. I find that is really not as prevalent as you may think. Some people cut in, but when traffic flow changes, they cut out just as fast. Look at an identifiable vehicle in the next lane, and see if you really gain or lose compared to them. If the lanes are equally full, it will take many miles to make a noticeable difference. Sometimes when the other lane stops/slows considerably, they can't get into the gap in front of you because they don't have the maneuvering room or they don't want to pull out in front of a vehicle moving noticeably faster than they are.

12. Irunnoft

Irunnoft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Nov 29 2007, 03:31 PM) [snapback]545810[/snapback]</div>

All it took was one look from where you live to understand your reaction. While, I must admit, I was a bit surprised to find such a caustic remark on this site, I must admit I'm new to this chat. I'm also new to the Prius. I feel like I just got my head taken clean off and that from a site where I thought I would be dealing with people that might at least understand where I was coming from.

That being said, I think you should understand that I'd rather not drive 53. Two cars ago, I had a Steeda Mustang with a Vortec Supercharger. I loved driving that car. I loved to drive it fast, Ricky Bobby! However, that car didn't make sense once I started working in Asheville. I got rid of it. I've actually factored in some more drive time for my ride in to work given that I'm not going 65-70mph. But, like a previous poster mentioned, nobody else is paying my gas bill.

While gas is much less expensive here in the mountains of WNC, I also don't have near the amount and level of traffic that you deal with in Los Angeles. My interstate is two lanes wide - two heading east and two heading west. I drive in the right lane. I've never been a "moving roadblock" and never even heard of that term before this thread. Of course, it doesn't take a rocket engineer to understand the meaning. However, like somebody else mentioned, I know I'm going to get "the look." I was immediately familiar with that look when the member mentioned it in this thread.

Today was a pretty warm day and I got a good look at what my driving style will net me when warm weather sets in or when the temps rise like they did today. I'm not going to pretend to understand the terse, if not hostile response you made, but, in general, we aren't wound up nearly as tight here in the mountains as you folks are in LA. People are still decent here to each other, for the most part. They say a picture's worth a thousand words, so here's a pretty convincing argument. This was taken on my 53mph ride back home from work. I'm even more convinced that going just two mph under the posted speed (remember Subarutoo that most of my trip is spent on interstate where the limit is 55!) is the way to go. So again, flip me off if you must, but these numbers speak for themselves!

Attached Files:

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Irunnoft @ Nov 29 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]545738[/snapback]</div>
    :eek:

hahaha

14. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Irunnoft @ Nov 29 2007, 06:59 PM) [snapback]545877[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to PC! You'll need to reattach the head securely to receive the pats on the back for making a good choice in the purchase of an automobile.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Irunnoft @ Nov 29 2007, 06:59 PM) [snapback]545877[/snapback]</div>
    Nicely done! Sometimes one of us will fly off the handle a bit, but I think we're all (well, OK, mostly) good natured.

Really, I don't think the response to you was intended to be quite so harsh as you may have received it. Still, it was a tough shot to take in response to one of your first posting -- especially to your first thread.

Love the picture!

15. Irunnoft

Irunnoft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Nov 29 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]545888[/snapback]</div>

Thanks. Well, something nerfer said really struck a chord. He mentioned how stressed he felt after speeding in to work. You really wouldn't think that dropping a few MPH off your speed could affect your stress level, but it does. Maybe subarutoo had a tough day, maybe it wasn't meant to come off as blunt as it sounded, maybe that's just life in LA - I'm certainly not going to begrudge his opinion. I'm not here to argue or get into drama and I'm pretty sure he's got to be a decent fellow Prius enthusiast. No harm, no foul. Anyhow, driving 80mph might be stressing him out! :eek: I did notice that I'm not nearly as stressed out by the time I get to work or home from work. I certainly haven't felt compelled to yell at anybody poking along in front of me :rolleyes: so that stressor is gone! It's actually a very pleasant ride.

Knowing what I know now about the Prius, I'd never go back to the Mustang or the Expedition I used to own. I really love the Prius. It's a great car. It's a great road trip car with plenty of amenities plus, and I mean this with all sincerity, I feel really good about doing what I can to cut down on pollution. I know that sounds corny, but I live in a beautiful place and we see lots of tourist traffic in the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (I live about ten miles away from the Nat'l Park). Part of the reason the Great Smokies are so "smoky" is due to pollution in the air. Sure, I love getting the great gas mileage and saving money at the pump, but I also like saving something else. :)

16. cuttooth

cuttooth Aficionado

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good on ya! Welcome to the boards, too. :)

...and also, I'm insanely jealous. (I'm still waiting for mine)

17. Irunnoft

Irunnoft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cuttooth @ Nov 29 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]545910[/snapback]</div>

It's definitely worth the wait. You'll love you Prius when you get it! :D

18. Irunnoft

Irunnoft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cuttooth @ Nov 29 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]545910[/snapback]</div>

It's definitely worth the wait. You'll love you Prius when you get it! :D

19. MercerGirl

MercerGirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    55 good? yes and no

I agree that 55 or 53 should be an acceptable speed, but I'm afraid here in Fla. I would get run over.

Many years ago when I was driving another Toyota on the interstate in the hills of western NC I had my cruise set to 58 going up and down the foothills. It was a little under going up hill and a little over going downhill. A couple of Family Dollar store trucks kept passing me on the downgrade and I passed them on the uphill sides. Finally as one of them was pulling in behind me, he tipped my left rear quarter panel. This spun me around to kiss his front end and when he eventually got slowed down enough so I wasn't stuck to his grill, my car, still travelling in a forward direction but pointed horizontal to the interstate took a quick dip through the median and I finally got straightened up in the opposite lanes. Very fortunately for me the opposing traffic cleared and I was able to pull back into the median.

That wreck changed my life and caused a major career change as I could no longer perform my job duties. It also caused me to have a change of opinion about speed limits.

If I am in a string of traffic I follow a safe distance behind the car in front. If I am alone on the road, I drive the speed limit, or a few miles over.

I am looking forward to intelligent cruise control when you can set it to go the same speed as the doofus in front who wants to brake at every curve.

See you on the road!

20. elbweb

elbweb New Member

I am also down here in Florida, and feel like if I go the speed limit, I will get run over. Most people here don't understand the speed limit and (as stated earlier) they feel it is a minimum speed rather than a maximum.

Aside from that, a quick note on the 'intelligent' cruise control. It is already available commercially, and has been for a few years (with the German dealers like BMW and Mercedes) and I have just noticed either this year or last that Lexus has the option now on its cars. Seeing how they are the same company, I'm sure it will filter over in a few, just like the keyless entry did!