1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Go Pedal Position Thermometer Idea

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by douglas001001, Jun 2, 2008.

1. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got an idea last week after reading through Ken1784's PCM code, playing wii fit balance games, and watching the in car shots in formula one racing of the drivers steering wheel.

The discussion on acceleration rates, highway rpm, super highway mode, warp stealth, has gotten to a level where I think a project to combine that all into one module is possible.

What is the idea you ask?

A left to right thermometer, which displays where you have the go pedal, compared to pre-defined ranges which tell you if you need to press the pedal in or pull it back to hit these ranges to pick up speed, hold speed or which efficiency case to use. I see many threads of new drivers asking about specific cases, I think this is a way to combine all of the knowledge into one format for all cases.

I can build the vb code to do it in a few hours. But, I don't have the technical knowledge to define an engine position scale (a ranked scale of what state the engine is at between zero and redline rpm) to create the comparisons from. If the group can help me define or point me in the right direction to that, I'll make the time commitment to investigate and create the code.

My questions :
    1) Is there a CAN value which gives how far the Go Pedal is depressed?
    2) If so, would mapping this position by speed result in the same approximate engine state? (Address highway speed, vs below 40 separately)

If no to 1 and no to 2
    3) What are the variables which define the state the engine is in? RPM + IGN + ? ?
    4) Can the map of the variables from 3 be turned into a ranked scale say 0 to 100 (0 to redline rpm) which rank corresponds to pressing the pedal in and out (either variable or not variable by speed)?

5) Can someone explain or point me to an explanation of what is contained in a CAN value? prius codes.xls isn't helping, I'm not visualizing it from the descriptions there.

The suggested driving ranges would be in a spreadsheet/.csv file which the individual driver can change based on their preferences, so discussion of what those ranges are isn't needed yet. I'll be able to come up with approximate ranges on my own based on the engine position scale and test before needing to fine tune those.

I realize that this would be of little or no benefit to those that already know the answers and already have instrumentation, but
    as the price of ultra mobile pcs (which can be used for more than just driving) comes down, having an easy to understand and use tool I believe would be beneficial for all drivers and as a money saving investment versus driving blind.

If you have any ideas to help, please add them. Please keep them on subject regarding to coming up with a tool which will tell a driver whether or not they need to press in or pull back on the pedal to keep the car in an efficient range for whatever they want to do.

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    EnergyCS's prototypes had a display of that sort, with adjustable markers
    where various thresholds were such as the power request [at any given
    SoC] that would kick the engine back on. All read from CAN, I think.
    They did a lot of reversing and I'm sure they sucked Attila's data dry
    in the process as a starting point.

There is an OBDII-queryable accel position value parameter, not that I
    have any idea what the query on the wire actually looks like. But it
    is obtainable via CAN. I'm sure it also shows up in the running
    inter-ECU chatter, but I couldn't tell you where to look.

In the analog world, there are two pedal outputs that stay 0.8 volts
    apart, and the lower [main] one runs from 0.85 volts up to 3.something,
    I can't find the piece of paper I was logging all this on right now.
    Studying this is very preliminary to the possibility of building a
    "foot style" cruise control which would likely do significantly
    better than the stock one for highway MPG. A dangerous swamp full
    of alligators, when one starts hanging circuitry off something that
    could have very negative results upon failing stuck high, and will
    need several failsafe inputs.

_H*

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my Can-View data the pedal position is located in message 0x244 byte 6 if you start at 0. The value ranges from 0-200.

4. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully a plot of pedal position X rpm X speed is consistent and I'll be in business.

I have a working prototype with vba in excel with supplied values (I made a spreadsheet with a couple of minutes of data), canusb is on its way. If I can figure out the reading the can values piece I should have it by hybrid fest.

Has anyone played with the acceleration indicator can value? If that value can be used with rpm x speed to get low and high acceleration ranges (median value perhaps) the suggested ranges piece will be easier too.

Ultimate goal I thought about, wouldn't it be cool to present a working idea to toyota themselves to see if they'll add it to the mfd on gen3? Pipe dreams I guess. :)