1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Go, Speed Racer, Go!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stev0, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So, has anyone here gotten a speeding ticket in your Prius yet?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    couple of close calls, but so far no.

[knock on wood]

;)

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 5 2006, 09:18 PM) [snapback]328750[/snapback]</div>
    How far over the limit? :)

5. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Why would driving a Prius change whether or not you would get a speeding ticket...oops, why am I saying that, i already decided if I stopped at Priuschatter, I would give them a warning.

6. bdirwin

bdirwin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Oct 5 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]328699[/snapback]</div>

I didn't realize how far it was from Boise Idaho to Vegas. When I updated the destination on the NAV and it said 2AM, I decided to STEP IT UP A BIT! The little Prius flew us to Vegas by 10PM. Thankfully no cops caught me. Did you know it'll climb a mountain at 90?

7. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    10 over in a school zone :-( :-( :-(

8. c4

c4 Active Member

I haven't yet, but I can imagine that if I do, it would also be for something stupid like 10 over in a school zone also.. I've got a Classic and the problem is that unlike the HSD version, the car is so darned inefficient at slower speeds. At lower speeds, it appears pulse driving is most efficient, but the problem is that I *hate* pulse-and-glide- I've tried it and simply don't like the constant variation in speed and prefer to feather to a constant speed, but unfortunately, feathering simply doesn't work well below a certain speed and I either have to go into stealth mode and use battery up (which then costs me when it has to recharge), or I have to be extremely lucky with the pedal to achieve deadband, otherwise driving around at slow speeds just eats gas (in relative terms)..

Therefore, for me, the easiest thing is just to go a tiny bit faster so that I can feather back to a reasonable consumption level.. On the Classic, I find that the slowest speed that I can feather to better than 48 MPG equivalent is about 50 km/h, or about 30 mph, but school zones are 30 km/h (about 20 mph) and some residential streets are 40 km/h, which are both too slow for efficient Classic Prius operation again, in feathered accelerator mode.. The school zones are actually less of a problem as they're only a block or two and generally don't hurt too much even if the battery gets used, but it's long residential streets that kill you.. At higher speeds, I don't worry about tickets because I seldom go over the speed limit now because the car is quite efficient and gives me great mileage at these speeds and speeding in this situation wastes gas vs. saving it..

9. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 5 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]328766[/snapback]</div>
    16 mph.

On occasion I've done 85 in a 55, on a section of freeway where they insist on keeping it low for some obscure reason.

I try to limit myself to 30 mph over.

10. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No and I never speed.

<he says while smiling innocently at the resident police officer> :p

11. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Oct 6 2006, 11:44 AM) [snapback]328935[/snapback]</div>

Hey, what is the definition of speeding? In my city, you are not speeding unitl you hit 11 over.

12. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Oct 6 2006, 08:37 PM) [snapback]329229[/snapback]</div>
    That's a very liberal policy. Officially you are speeding when you are 1 mph over.

13. Randall Rash

Randall Rash Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 6 2006, 08:37 PM) [snapback]329263[/snapback]</div>
    The day I drove it home from the dealer, I kept finding myself about 15 over the limit (85 in a 70) because of the lack of wind noise due to the aerodynamic design. I felt it would be embarrassing to get a speeding ticket in an electric car. (Yes I know the car is perfectly capable of going fast, it was a newbie feeling).

14. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Oct 6 2006, 08:37 PM) [snapback]329229[/snapback]</div>
    That matches the insurance companies definition. I usually run 7 or 8 over on the highway and have never had a problem. In town it is trickier and often depends on what kind of day the officer has had. A radio talk show host in Greensboro has been going on for weeks about his ticket for 3 mph over the limit.

15. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It also depends on the area... there's a couple of areas i can think of in cleveland that you would get a ticket for going 5 over, while the rest of the city doesn't give a damn if you're going 15 over.

That being said, i've had my share of tickets prior to the prius, but none since getting it... i find i'm just not driving as fast any more

16. aolm

aolm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had 6 years of no tickets with my Camery(s) and three tickets in a year with my Prius. I think cops see the Prius because it is a uncommon vehicle.

17. . a d a m

. a d a m New Member

Is that even possible?

18. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've had a few close calls, it's easy to not pay attention to the speed until you get more used to the car as the engine speed does not necessarily correspond to car speed because of the CVT. So if you are not focused on the digital speedo, it's easy to let the speed creep up, I've caught myself doing 80 on 540, I usually try to keep within 9 of the speed limit.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(. a d a m @ Nov 16 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]350622[/snapback]</div>
    Please leave troll. We know you have nothing to share with us other than short sentences that end in a question mark. (oh right, they're called questions...)

20. Thermo1223

Thermo1223 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 16 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]350637[/snapback]</div>
    Fairly harsh when you have no brackground of the person to make such a statement.

It is a fair statement or question depending on the context.

Is it possible? Sure but not as easy, which can be said for anycar making just over 100hp. You would notice that you were speeding long before it got "out of hand".

Obviously a 300-400hp car would get you in trouble in a hurry.