1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Godiva's accident: Whose fault?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Dec 3, 2005.

?
  1. It was an act of Godiva. Her fault for not driving defensively.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. His fault for not yielding on a yield.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both, 50/50.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It was the government's fault for designing a stupid intersection.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The PriusChat jury has now been impaneled to reach a decision in the case of:

Godiva vs. The "Very Nice Sailor."

Transcripts of the trial may be found here:
    http://priuschat.com/OUCHand33-My-poor-baby-t13164.html

Being a civil case, it only takes a simple majority to convict.

2. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hate to say it, but this sounds very much like a case of rear-ending = following too closely by definition. The fact that he stopped abruptly with no apparent cause doesn't matter. Any car you follow could stop for reasons unknown (or even unknowable) to you, act accordingly.

Best of luck with the sleaziest industry on the planet (insurance). I sure hope they get your car back in shape with minimal stress to you! It will be interesting to see how the repairs go on the Prius!

Good luck!

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    HEY!!!
    How did you respond?
    I marked this as a "Poll Only" . . . replies were not supposed to happen, so as to keep all discussions on Godiva's post only.

Vote here, but please respond only on Godiva’s post. We wouldn’t want a mistrial due to a procedural error.
    :p

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Who cares? and what difference does it make?

Since I was the one behind I will automatically be assigned "fault" and my insurance will pay.

Unless the guy was drunk or uninsured, which he was neither, I will automatically be "at fault" because I was in back.

It doesn't matter if the intersection is marked really stupid.

It doesn't matter if he was speeding.

It doesn't matter if I had entered the intersection first and had the right of way.

It doesn't matter if he suddenly stopped in the middle of the road.

I was stopped.

And according to my mother it is illegal to honk your horn for any reason, not even to warn someone of danger.

Other people posted pictures of their damaged prii and haven't generated the discussion this one.

It was an accident. Get over it.

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

None of those options apply.

If I had to assign a percentage to it, it would be 70/30...

:ph34r:

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is NOT "illegal to honk your horn for any reason." Proper usage is to honk to warn of imminent danger. Also, on blind curves, to warn that you are approaching the curve (which is really just a subcategory of the above). We are not supposed to honk to express anger.

If you were honking to say, "Hey, we're about to collide; take evasive action," then you honked appropriately. If you honked to say, "Hey you so-and-so, I had right-of-way," then it was not appropriate.

I express no opinion as to fault. But it does seem odd to have a stop sign at one corner and a yield at another! So, following my normal anarchist inclination, I'll vote that it was the government's fault. I blame everything on the government. If it wasn't for the government, there would be no war, poverty, illness, unrequited love, earthquakes, tornados, famines, or punk rock.

Some states have a law that, regardless of right-of-way, the person who had the last opportunity to avoid an accident is at fault.

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Agreed, if it were illegal to honk your horn for any reason...why would cars have horns?

I also agree that this thread is pretty pointless...

8. Schmika

Schmika New Member

:lol:

Welcome to a forum. Once you post it, everyone else owns it. Personally Godiva, I think you did a good thing by posting this as a lot of education came about.

In the interest of full disclosure, I voted you were at fault (whaddya expect...I'm a cop)

I feel bad this happened, no one deserves such trouble. Very few of the posters were hostile...just wanted to vent their personal opinions.

9. LA FREEWAY

LA FREEWAY New Member

Godiva,

I know you are upset about all of the people on PriusChat talking about your own post regarding your accident with the stupid driver, but this subject would never had started if you had not posted the information regarding your accident. It's your own fault!
    You really can't be mad at the people on Prius Chat talking gossip all about your accident.

10. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Probably because you are a polular and for the most part well liked Prius poster.