1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going 2way route - DLS Ultimate 6.5" OR Focal 136W 5 1/4" Components??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by vidoprof, Jul 22, 2011.

1. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I have a set of DLS Ultimate 6.5" components. I also have a set of Focal Utopia 5 1/4" components.

I am wondering what would be a better fit or which you guys would think sound better. I am going with a set of High Energy 6.5" Coaxials in the rear doors.

I am matting them with a 900/5 to power them with 100x4. and 500w for the sub.

Wasn't sure if anyone had experience with both of these and the Hertz.

I have heard both sets (obviously) but in totally different cars and just wasn't sure which might be better fits.

I ran the focals in a 4Runner in custom kickpanels with 200w per side and they were amazing but not sure if half the power would sound as good. The DLS's I ran at 150w a side and they too sounded great but they were in a custom kickpanel in an Acura TL. I am going stock door locations for these so not sure.

Thanks for any help

Ryan

2. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    6.5 will always bigger than 5.25

3. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd focus more on the cross-over point. Go with the set that has the lower cross-over point in the passive cross-over. You want a tweet that can go lower so that you can keep as much of the sound coming from the dash as possible.
    That said, the 6.5 obviously offers more output & low-end extension than the 5.25...but the sub should be handling most of the heavy lifting below 80Hz.

4. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yeah I was thinking the sub would pick up most of the bass but wasn't sure if anyone had some other input as well.

I am pretty sure I am going with the 6.5" just wasn't sure if other people could chime in.

Ryan

5. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For any coax the low position in the front/rear doors are not good for nice and crisp highs. The Focal are known to be more on the high end but I'd use 16.5cm in the rear and front. I use two sets of Rainbow 2-way systems with well designed crossover (not cheap but definitiely worth the money)