1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going crazy trying for a tank over 50

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by San_Carlos_Jeff, Jan 27, 2006.

1. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Earlier this week I compilied all my mileage numbers for the first 5000 miles of the car.

Confirmed that the mileage displayed on the MFD is pretty accurate (MFD average for 5000 miles was 46.0, actual was 45.2). Driving like I've always driven my low tank was 43.1 and the high was 49.0. Seeing that made me want to try for a tank over 50.

Well I'm 240+ miles into this tank and it's killing me! Trying to anticipate all stops, no bursts of acceleration, no short trips, etc. On this morning's commute the tank average dipped below 50 (49.9) and I've been bummed (well not really bummed, just mildly despondent) about it ever since. My commute is mostly on the freeway and now I'm actually hoping for some traffic! Oh well.....if it can't be done it can't be done, I'll live with the overall 45mpg average and be more than happy.

But......there's always the next tank :blink:

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds like Toyota will need to start preparing for lawsuits alleging psychological stress because many Prius owners will have lost control of their OCD......... ;)

MPGD= Milea Per Gallon Depression
    OGSS= Obcessive Gas Saver Syndrome

3. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Ah no worries. My mileage has slipped too, but just wait until the warmer monhts and it'll pick back up.

4. Pappy

Pappy New Member

Does anyone know a good shrink (who owns a Prius and understands our needs) to help me with my mild despondency over not breaking the 40 mpg mark?

5. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Cheer up folks. I just got back from lunch with a 15 mile trip at 66.8 mpg.
    This is not bad for summer, but today was so cold my engine started at some of the traffic lights.

My commute is too short to get great mpg for a tank. So I just go on a trip somewhere in warm weather, when I can drive under 50 mph. That way I can get a pretty good full tank mpg.
    So far for tanks my best was 58 but I expect to top 60 this spring.

6. QED

QED New Member

Going crazy trying for a tank over 45! :lol:

But, I don't have all that many tanks under my belt.

7. FrankBrock

FrankBrock New Member

My observations after putting about 1000 miles on my 2006:
    1) Even with a lead foot I can get nearly 45 MPG.
    2) With more conserative driving, I can get 50 MPG.
    3) Getting anything over 50 MPG takes considerable effort.

Technically, my commute is 90% highway miles, but during rush hour the Washington DC beltway is more like a parking lot than a highway.

8. tjbrooks

tjbrooks New Member

I must say that I have noticed about a 5 MPG increase since I've hit ~1000 miles. My first two tanks were 48.5/50.5 actual, the MFD was about 1/1.5 more.

For my third tank, the MFD currently reads 57 MPG, thanks to the "favorable" traffic conditions on the freeway. I have slow, but not stop and go traffic all the way home (22 miles, El Segundo to Orange County).

I think my days of 50+ are numbered however, as my check cleared for my carpool stickers, and that will have me going about 50-60 mph steadily for the majority of the drive.

I really think what makes the difference is driving conservatively. I just followed the great guide by the board member "efusco". I have completely changed me habits in three weeks. It feels weird driving with other people when they accelerate from stopped. When my girlfriend drive my Prius, the average takes a nice dive.

9. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

I got two things working against me at the moment. Lower temperatures, and shorter trips. When I can take a longer trip and the car gets thoroughly warmed up, the gas mileage is over 50mpg. When I just go to run errands, it's work to keep it up to about 43mpg. Sometimes I take the long way around when doing errands just for the fun of seeing the gas mileage go way up. I took a 250 mile trip a month or so ago, and got a total of 54mpg on that one, and it was most all highway.

This should be a bit better in the spring/summer/fall, since it won't take as long to warm up the car, but it does take a few miles to get it really nice and warm.

If your car isn't thoroughly warmed up, you can do all the pulse and glide, anticipation of signals and stop signs, and moderate acceleration that you want, and you're not going to get that great gas mileage that you're hoping for.

-Roger

10. pgorbas

pgorbas New Member

:blink: How are you coming up with you're data? While I know how much gas I pump into the tank, I never can know exactly how much gas is IN the tank. because the gas tank is a bladder with a variable fuel capacity, I have no way of knowing exactly how much gas gets used between fill-ups - and without that you can't calculate MPG???

11. FreshAirGuy

FreshAirGuy New Member

The bladder fuel "tank" is another good reason to measure gallons purchased and actual odometer (not MDF) miles. Both the gallons purchased and the odometer reading are by law required to be reliable. As all you scientists and engineers know you can't have validity without reliability. ;)

12. EricGo

EricGo New Member

In between fill-ups I rely on the MFD:
    Just calc petrol consumed, and divide into trip distance.

As for tank mpg, I try to always fill up to the first click using the lower auto flow notch on the pump nozzle. There is some variability as to what 'full' is, but over a couple of tanks it averages out. So for any one tank, the MFD minus 1 - 2% is your most accurate approach, but hand calcs are best for lifetime MPG.

13. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    That's why I'm keeping a cumulative MPG record. To come up with my overall mileage I used the total miles driven divided by the total gallons used. The MPG figues I calculate for each tank are pretty meaningless because of the bladder.

14. SirGreen

SirGreen New Member

I have keeped gas records on spreadsheets for almost 20 years now
    and I am able to see when I need an oil change.
    But here is one thing that happened when we started to get that reformulated gas.
    my milage would suffer 10 to 15%. If I go out of town I make sure I get there
    with an empty tank so I can fillup on good old regular gas.
    I just dumped my 05 Titan even though it was a beautiful ride and got a new 06 Prius.
    I cant wait to be able to change over to hydrogen.
    Quantum Fuel Systems is changing 06 Prius's to hydrogen now on the west coast.

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can not use short term tank to tank data. Averaging over 3-4 tanks of actual data is best. Milage will vary with gas used ( except in places that are really warm). You can not trust Tank to Tank data.

16. Hallowday

Hallowday New Member

That is so funny. 2000 miles on my Prius and I do the same thing for every tank. Try to beat 50 mpg. Finished one tank at 50.2 mpg. I even filled up to start a new tank at the beginning of the week since I get my best mileage to and from work. I can't wait until Spring to see if the 50's come easier.