1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GOING ELECTRIC - From Bob Dylan to electric cars

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Arroyo, May 27, 2013.

1. Arroyo

Arroyo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    Going electric propulsion, converting to 240 volts, and installing a second meter

You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. – Bob Dylan

When Bob Dylan took out his Fender Stratocaster to play an electric version of “Maggie’s Farm” at the Newport Folk Festival on July 25, 1965, the reception was anything but warm. On the contrary, the folk music audience was in shock. By the time he played his electric version of “Like a Rolling Stone,” the festival-goers were booing, prompting Dylan to walk off the stage. On that day, history was made, and neither folk music nor rock ‘n roll would ever be the same.

Today, the public reception to electric cars has some interesting parallels to that day in 1965. A vocal segment of the editorial press has been trying to boo the electric car off of the automotive stage. The reasons range from government heavy-handedness (“why should my tax dollars subsidize your purchase of an electric car?”), to questionable cost benefits (“you’ll save more money buying a Nissan Versa”), to range anxiety itself.

On the virtues of government incentives for alternative fuel vehicles, we’ll leave that for the political pundits to wrassle over. On the issue of cost-effectiveness, a fuel efficient but very used beater will beat out any new car in that department. The long and the short of it is this: Electric propulsion is a luxury. Like the buyer who’s willing to spend the extra dough for turbocharged acceleration, or for a convertible top to take in the surroundings on a star-studded evening, electric propulsion is a premium to pay for. But as luxuries go, there’s nothing quite like the experience of driving in utter quietness, propelled by an electric motor with full torque available at zero revolutions per minute.

Life is just a little different

Having lived with an 2013 Chevrolet Volt in its fleet since October, we can report that life is just a little different with an electric car—even with the so-called “extended range” design of this model with the back-up gas motor. While the car goes well over 300 miles in its back-up gas motor mode, you really want to keep it in pure electric mode for the best driving experience. Consequently, it’s not unusual to find yourself leaning towards travelling near rather than afar. Suddenly, that restaurant in the neighboring township looks a lot more attractive than the popular hangout on the other side of the city. Going electric means you’ll be supporting your local town’s small businesses a lot more.

Ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more

There’s a popular belief by some rock critics that when Bob Dylan sang “Maggie’s Farm,” it was his declaration of independence from the confines of protest folk music. That Dylan chose to perform “Maggie’s Farm” with electric guitars and an electric organ as his opening song at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965 does nothing to diminish this belief.

If dependence on oil is the automotive equivalent of Maggie’s Farm, is an electric car a declaration of independence? Since the Volt has a back-up gas engine, is it a declaration of semi-independence from our addiction to oil? We’re not quite sure how to slice it, but we can say one thing: Driving around in pure electric mode is an addiction in itself. We’re not quite ready to turn our backs on the myriad of masterpieces propelled by the internal combustion engine. On the other hand, to paraphrase D.A. Pennebaker, once you go electric, you dont look back.

Entire article at GOING ELECTRIC - Living in the electric car world | LA Car

drinnovation likes this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe Pete Seeger is still playing acoustic...not sure what car he is driving these days though (has Dylan gone electric? - car I mean)...

kgall likes this.
  3. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, ol' Pete's voice is not what it once was.
    Neither is Bob Dylan's and you can decide for yourself whether that is fortunate or not.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, at least we can excuse Pete as he is 90 yrs old

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dylan only looks 90.:cool:

6. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, as to both of the above.

7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The sentence "Electric propulsion is a luxury." requires ignoring the bigger picture. Fun article otherwise.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Call me 3 shades of jaded. When the author touts a 2nd meter for "discount charging" I get a bad case of (MEGO) - my eyes glaze over. I tried to jump on the 2nd meter bandwagon. The wagon - unfortunately -backed over us, then it ran over us in forward gear too.

In So Cal, the average electric contractor will hit you up for between ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS, and up to $1,300 for creating a meter socket. Electricians unfortunately don't work for children's laughter. I got out my pencil ... & multiplied my whopping 9¢/kWh savings for the inconvenience of discount charging at night, on a separate meter.

After only 14,440 hours of charging ... hey!! ... I'll break even on the meter cost !! Such a deeeeeal !!!
    So - presuming charging 3 hours/day ... that's only 4,813 days ... or THIRTEEN YEARS until payback/break even!! (laughing hysterically)
    Since the average person lives at the same address less than 10 years ... I'd think I just got really hosed.
    And - if half of my charging is done at work ... if I should live long enough (call me Methuselah) ... my 10 to 13 year payback period just doubled. Oh yea, I'm all over that.
    :cautious:
    The payback on our solar PV system (lets us charge the car, and run the house with no power bill ... + the utility co pays us for our excess/surplus kWh's) is less time ... and you get more bang for the buck ... and you don't have to have an extra meter on your home.

Despite the article touting the "Voltec EVSE" ... and before this dark cloud dissipates, according to several folks (including Volt owners) when you consider buying a L2 EVSE you should know that ;

Level 2 Charger [Archive] - Chevy Volt Forum

despite those downers, yes ... electricity is good

9. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, as with many other things, the cost has to be brought down before it makes economic sense.
    But surely in these days of computerization we ought to be able to get a program to be able to charge differentially by time of use on a single meter. I understand it won't be my old meter, since that just runs without recording time of use.

10. Arroyo

Arroyo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SCE recommended a second meter, but as the article says, the jury is still out on its savings (it still is). Also, the charging unit used is the second-generation Voltec EL-50580-A with the black coiled cables, which hasn't exhibited any of the reliability issues of the first gen. unit (so far).

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I duno - except what I read on the Volt forum ... & (as just one example) here's some of their owners still complaining about their EVSE's over just the last couple of weeks:
    240V Voltec Issue??!??
    Has the first gen been replaced more recent that that?

12. 100 mph

100 mph Junior Member

Those appear to be the first gen unit they're talking about (owners complaining that the unit fails just after the warranty expires).

Best Level 2 Charger currently? Volt is home! [Archive] - GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Forum

So the new ones may be better regarding early failures, but the real test will be how long they can last past the warranty.