1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going in tomorrow for 5K service - any tips?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Don Hinkle, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Don Hinkle

Don Hinkle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have read where a couple of guys talked their service dpt into changing the oil even thought it isnt on the list for the 5K service. Any ideas to talk em into it?

I MUST remember to have them defeat the reverse beeping.. its very annoying.

Any other things I should be on the look out for?

2012 Prius III

2. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Simply present the coupon below, and they will more than happy to change the oil for free. I guaranty it.

[​IMG]

3. Don Hinkle

Don Hinkle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Or for 50.00 you could buy a spell checker :D

4. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    More of a fat finger grammar issue no spell checker will catch :(

5. Don Hinkle

Don Hinkle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    he he.. I'm just busing your b@lls :p

6. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am going in for 10K next week. Oil will be changed for the first time. I am not worried about this "break in" myth.

Car has not used a drop of oil during 10K of "break in".

Honda calls for 10K oil changes and 20K oil filter changes.

A change at 5K certainly would not hurt anything.

7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the dealer is given an allotment for these free oil changes to cover 2 oil changes in as many years. If you elect to do it every 5K, you should still get 2 oil changes but the allotment will, of coarse, be fulfilled early. After that, it's your dollar. The dealer should care less.
    As for the beeper, you may have to sign a waiver.
    At the 5K service the tires are rotated. Just make sure they don't conveniently forget to do it.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Showing the page that lists what you want changed should dismiss any potential problems. Verify the changes are to your satisfaction before leaving.

Oil change coupons were given out at my dealer's New Owner Party. I suspect OP will have to pay for the oil change because Toyota's plan specifies 12 months or 10000 miles. I am presuming the car is less than a year old.

Don, if you are putting his sporting equipment on the bus I hope the rest of him is riding along.

9. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Enjoy the free coffee and donuts! :)

10. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is what Santa Monica Toyota told me when I asked them to do the first oil change at 5K miles. I really have no idea whether it is true or not. [FYI, I never said anything to them at my 10K maintenance, and I don't recall what they did to my car. One of these days I'll have to check.]

Mike

11. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Went in for my 5k today and had to pay the $47 for an oil change. Ill still have them do it at 10k intervals but Ill do the 5k myself with Mobil 1. They did rotate the tires and check all the fluids. I asked if the could make some changes for me in techstream but they told me it would take 2 hours....BS. Ill just bring it back at another time or have the salesman who sold it to me pick it up from my work and get it done.

12. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup, I think you have the right idea. I think I'll start changing my oil at 5k intervals and let them do the 10k's for free. It might be my imagination but the ICE started to sound a little rattley just before the first 10k service. I do a lot of in-town, short hop driving, then an occational 100 mile or so trip. I think 10k is a little beyond the operational oil life in my case.

13. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah I agree. Its hot where I live most of the time and the humidity is bad. I didnt care to push my first oil change to 5k but we were on vacation and over 16 days put 4100 miles on our prius. In town driving will be much less stress on the ICE but over our trip it routinely saw 5000 rpm going up steep grades.

14. Blueranger

Blueranger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I get my oil changed every 5K... I made the deal when I bought the car, told the service guy and he didn't even confirm it with the sales guy. He just said no problem and has always changed it.

I would never wait 10K to change the oil in any vehicle that is just plain abuse to your motor synthetic and all!