1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going on trip, need more luggage space

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rhodyfanatic, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Rhodyfanatic

Rhodyfanatic New Member

We're a family of four going on a weeks vacation and want to take the dog along so the back section is mostly filled with dog.

We have a Thule soft carrier that we used to strap to the top of the Jeep. If we could add a temporary rack to the Prius, we could use it.

Do any of you know of a device that would fit the bill?

Or any suggestions you have for carrying more luggage with your Prius?

Thanks.

2. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't know your timeline, but a cargo rack should work. Something like this, perhaps.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Seriously, I would just rent a van for the week.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How big is the dog? Would all concerned be happy with him/her/it in the middle of the back seat?

I've packed enough into our Prius to last the four of us on a month's camping trip: fridge, stove, sleeping bags, tents, etc, etc. There are all kinds of nooks and crannies to fill with stuff, and I'd like to think you could get away with no roof box at all. The best advice I can give you is to take less stuff.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Check out Thule and Yakima - both make after market roof racks that fit the Prius. It's a tower system, where they essentially clip onto the sides of the car and you're good to go. I have ones by Saris (pictured at the very bottom of Darell's page linked above), which work great - unfortunately they discontinued their roof rack line.

And as you can see from the pictures on Darell's page, these types of roof racks can hold plenty of weight - 2 70lb kayaks, for one :p

6. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Saris is wonderful. I got mine used off of e-Bay, and they were absolutely worth it. They take a minute to install, and everything was very secure.

7. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have both permanent racks (Yakima Landing Pads) and removable racks (Saris). Although the Saris are not sold by the manufacturer anymore (but they still support them) Yakima uses the Q-Towers for removable and Landing Pad #7s for permanent (Like Darell's). I prefer the landing pads as it only requires one person to install them, do not make a whistling sound, and pads do not affect gas mileage when racks removed. Usually my wife has to help me with the Saris to ensure I do not scratch the paint. I am not sure how easy the Q-towers are.

They both fit the Thule Spirit Box without any other equipment for an additional 16 cu ft of space and a low profile. I chose this box over the Yakima (even though it was $200 more) because it sat lower, was adjustable so I can configure it so that it does not hit my rear hatch when open, had a more aerodynamic look, and was not black (I did not want my stuff to be cooked in there during the summer).

I got all my stuff from the above link. They had very good prices and customer service. I order both on phone and online through them. To get the landing pads installed (if you do not want to do it) look for a bike shop not a car modification shop. The bike shops usually have more experience putting on the racks for bicycle carriers.

BTW, if you order the cargo box from them you have to have it shipped to a UPS distribution center (where you can pick it up) or have it shipped to a business address. The box is huge so usually put on a semi which cannot go into residential areas.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Nov 27 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]354516[/snapback]</div>
    How huge is it? I had a 17 foot kayak delivered to a residential address (it just fit inside the normal UPS truck)

9. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it is smaller than the kayak, but UPS would not take it. The dimension are 90.5in(l) x 32.7in(w) x 14.2in(h). This is about half the width of the car and 3/4 of the length.