1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Claire loves her Prius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all. I am going on a long trip, approximately around 2,500-3,000 miles, leaving in a week. I have an 05 Prius with 107,*** miles on it and has had a recent oil change. What else should I do to prepare for our on-the-road vacation? Also, I don't know how well these cars do in long driving conditions, is there anything I should know or watch for? I love my car and I just want to make sure I don't do anything to hurt my baby. Any info would put my worries at ease. Thanks!
    :peace: Claire

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Claire,

Did your car have the scheduled maintenance at 90K and 100K miles? If not it would be good to catch up on that, especially the engine air and cabin air filters, and engine and inverter coolant replacement. A transaxle ATF fluid change is also reasonable if not already done in the recent past.

Check your tire tread depth and air pressure. If tread depth is 4/32" or less, I'd suggest replacing the tires now.

How are your windshield wiper blades? If they skip when traveling over the windshield they should be replaced. Check the washer reservoir and fill up with washer fluid.

How about the 12V battery? If that hasn't been replaced you might consider replacing it now as a preventive move since it is 5 years old. Since Oregon winters are pretty cold it will be good to have a new battery as you approach that season.

The car will do great on a long trip; just don't run out of gas, and enjoy your vacation.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Claire, Do what Patrick said and enjoy your trip. A few years ago we took our 05 Prius from Pa. to Ca. and back and had a great time and the car did great.

4. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When mine was new I took a trip from Sacramento to Miami and back, had no problems. I even changed my oil in Tenn one afternoon at the 5K mark. Be sure to use your AC if it's very hot. The rule seems to be: if you need AC, so does your battery. Both the 12V and the HV Battery.

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    It may also be good to change the inverter coolant pump at 100K+ miles if haven't done it before. I will wait until other experts comment on this one though.

Have a good trip!