1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going through a car buying service

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by portlander, Mar 5, 2005.

1. portlander

portlander New Member

The local credit union (1st Tech) has a car buying service. A friend has used it and highly recommends it. He said he could not get the dealer to give him the same level of discount that he got from the car buying service. If I can avoid haggling with the dealer altogether and still get a decent deal I'd be willing to go this route. Has anybody else had any experience with a car buying service?

I am hoping to get my package 6 Prius at roughly $1500 below MSRP.

2. xevious

xevious New Member

I love First Tech. They own my car, broker my insurance, and hold the majority of my money.

I didn't use their auto brokerage service when I bought my car, but I've heard only good things from friends and co-workers who have used them. Absolutely excellent credit union.

Good luck with the under MSRP Prius, though. Although the waiting lists are shrinking, I'd be surprised if any dealer would be willing to negotiate a bargain on this popular car.

Let us know...

3. dvd

dvd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Portlander,

I was on the list at 1st Tech's auto broker... Donna Foo with AutoLand is who I dealt with -- at the main branch on 153rd in Beaverton.

I'm not sure if $1500 below MSRP is realistic, but she was able to get me on the list for $150 below MSRP. Expected wait was 6-8 weeks at the time (early Feb.)

The best part -- no deposit! Well, and you never have to talk to a dealer! :)

I lucked into a Prius on the lot at Tonkin, so I ended up cancelling my order, but I would still recommend them..

4. chillyfl

chillyfl New Member

Portlander,
    As a former Lake Oswego resident and still current 1st Tech member, I will be curious to hear how the car buying service works out for you. I think right now the price is very dependent on where in the country you are buying. My guess would be that the west coast probably has the highest demand and will take the longest for supply to catch up. But here in Florida they are still asking for over MSRP with at least a 2 month wait. There are some deals out there. We were able to get $1400 below MSRP (that's after the $399 "processing fee for consumer services") with no wait by traveling to Virginia. That's a bit far for Portland, I know. But just to give you a data point that if you can travel you can probably get that $1500 below MSRP.

And BTW, I haven't lived in Oregon for over 10 years, but will never stop being a 1st Tech member to join a local bank. They have always treated me so well.
    -Michael

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

My summary of going through a car broker:
    • Wait wasn't any shorter.
    • Cost was below MSRP (not so big a thing these days, but last year...)
    • Hassle: nada.

• Your mileage may vary.