1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going to buy a new one - need some advice

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Rhino, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am definitely buying a Prius in 2 months since I moved to the exburbs and need a hybrid to get on the HOV.

I am thinking about a Prius III. But I like heated seats and I may spend 3 hours in the car a day so maybe trim level IV.

Question 1: Any advice from long distance commuters about what accessories are good would be appreciated.

Question 2: I am thinking seriously about the Prius IV because it has a driver seat that is motorized. In a long commute, it is nice to be able to move it around. Your opinion is appreciated.

Question 3: I suppose a GPS is nice but I can also use an aftermarket GPS. Any thoughts?

Question 4: Is there a shortage of 2010 Prius? I am just wondering what my bargin position is. If there is an excess of cars, I can bargain harder. I am clueless. I might get it through a car broker so save all the hassle.

Question 5: Noise. I have a Toyota Sienna minivan. How is the noise (road/wind) in the Prius compared to a minivan? Just wondering if anyone knows.

Thanks. I'll be joining you (Prius owners) soon.

2. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well welcome to the Prius Chat forum....

Glad to hear you want to buy a new Prius soon.

Answers:

Question 1: Any advice from long distance commuters about what accessories are good would be appreciated.

A: If you buy the IV, you get some nice extra's as part of that choice. Are you talking aftermarket?? You may want to consider Paint Protection Film for the hood if your doing a lot of driving to reduce any nicks from stones etc.

Question 2: I am thinking seriously about the Prius IV because it has a driver seat that is motorized. In a long commute, it is nice to be able to move it around. Your opinion is appreciated.

A: Your seat is not Motorized. It is adjustable in height and back is adjustable, the added benefit is it has a power lumbar as well. I find the V Seat to be very comfortable and like the Leather choice for added support.

Question 3: I suppose a GPS is nice but I can also use an aftermarket GPS. Any thoughts?

A: I like my integrated NAV but as you will find on many posts there are pro's and con's. If you love integration and not having to take a unit in and out all the time then go with it. If you don't have an issue with taking them in and out and wires...then maybe try the stand alone unit. I wouldn't want to so it was my choice.

Question 4: Is there a shortage of 2010 Prius? I am just wondering what my bargin position is. If there is an excess of cars, I can bargain harder. I am clueless. I might get it through a car broker so save all the hassle.

A: The car is in pretty high demand and the bargaining room is small. If you have an opportunity to purchase through someone other than the Dealer, may save you a few more bucks.

Question 5: Noise. I have a Toyota Sienna minivan. How is the noise (road/wind) in the Prius compared to a minivan? Just wondering if anyone knows.
    A: I really can't compare to a Minivan, maybe another poster can assimilate the comparison, but I find my Prius V model to be quite quiet. Much quieter than my Honda Civic and much improved from the Gen1 Prius I had. I am quite pleased with that.

3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You should ask yourself a different question, how much money do you want to spend and lock it in your mind, then pick the package that fits that goal in mind. You can buy the aftermarket stuff seperate on your own terms and usually at a better price. If you are a decent negotiator you may be able to get about $500 - $1000 under the MSRP price, but I wouldn't count on any more then that.

4. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your quick answer. I had not realized that even with option package 4 that the seat is not motorized. Looks like I am looking at option package 5 which is about 30K or more to walk out the door. With tax and everything, it must be over 30K since, if I am going all out, I want a backup camera. Yikes.

The alternative is to get option package 3 and be happy with the savings. I note that all the packages has the same basic safety equipment. There are additional safety equipment if you pay more money. But package 5, without pay any extra money, does not have any more safety equipment that package 2 does not have.

I am seriously thinking about package 3 or package 5 now.

5. delaney

delaney New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am very disappointed that when I went over a curb accidentally, it caused $5500 damage to the undercarriage. I was shocked!! It is so low to the ground that I worry about hitting an ice bump in the winter. How could this have happened? Anyone else have this problem?

6. delaney

delaney New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    By the way, I bought it on July 15, had less than 1500 miles on it. Should I get rid of it?

7. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have one more question. What is an integrated fog lamp. I must admit I don't pay attention. I've driven a few cars. There is High beam. There is low beam. Then there is a setting generally for turning on the running lights.

I always set my headlights to auto. Then I turn on high beam when needed. Otherwise, I keep it on low beam and auto.

I don't recall there ever being a switch for fog lamps. In fog, I drive low beam. Just asking. Finally taking an interest in cars. So is the integrated fog lamps a big deal. Is there a switch for turning it on in the fog?

Thanks for all your helpful advice. I appreciate it.

As for running over the curb, it has not been a problem with me. I see you are from Mass. Many of my Boston friends have run over the curb. In Boston, the turns are not constant radius like in California. You can run over the curb if you are not careful. It is terrible. I have no solution. If you have to drive on that type of road, and if you think you will run over curbs, you do need a car with more ground clearance.

8. lamontcranston

lamontcranston Umbra Tenet

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am a long distance commuter with a Prius II. The one accessory you must have is Bluetooth. Luckily it's standard in Prius III,IV,and V, and optional on Prius II. I don't really feel the need for power seats; once adjusted they stay adjusted.

As far as a GPS, that's very much a matter of personal choice. I didn't see the point in paying for the integrated GPS as I have a little Magellan that works for me as needed. However if you do get a standalone GPS you're going to have to get a vent mount or cupholder mount because unless you're a gorilla you'll never reach the windshield to mount it.

An interesting thing about the noise factor: The Prius is very, very quiet. Even the tires are quiet, which I believe is because they're fairly narrow. However, if another vehicle is loud, you'll hear it oh boy will you. A truck coming up behind you will sound like it's on top of you and if anyone has a "boom-boom-bass" box your teeth will rattle.

An integrated fog lamp is, in my opinion, a mostly appearance-oriented item. It's a low beam mounted low on the front air dam for foggy days. Also worth noting because you brought it up, the Prius DOES NOT have auto-on headlamps. I don't know why this is because even the Yaris has them.

One more thing, the front air dam is quite low and if you're not careful you'll scrape the curb.

As far as availability... I don't know in your area but here in SoCal they still sell 'em as fast as they get 'em.

9. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is my understanding that the difference between the package IV and V is the fog lamps, 17 inch wheels and OPTION to add the technology package. I don't think the seat changes between the IV and V. The change is between the III and IV, the IV has leather and power lumbar, the III does not.

Also worth clarifying, the backup camera comes only with the NAV. you can get the nav on package III's and up.

I bought my car ( package III with nav) about a month ago. I waited for a few weeks for it to arrive and only got a few hundred under msrp. I'm sure the demand will slow down but as of then, they were hard to find.

Happy hybrid hunting!!

10. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With respect to not having the auto-off lamps. I got a Prius brochure for the Virginia area. If you go to Toyota.com, they give you area specific brochure. They mention that trim level 2, 3 and 4 get "Projector-beam halogen headlamps with auto-off feature." Maybe I am not reading the term correctly. I say this with all due humility - not trying to be sarcastic.

Marketing people have a funny way of stating things. I remember they said a watch has perpetual date - turns out it has no date at all so it is perpetually correct.

Of course, I believe you too.

Maybe it is a region specific thing. I hope it is a region specific thing - and maybe Virginia Priuses have them. Or else I would have to learn to remember to turn the headlights on and off again. I haven't done it since 1996. I am not trying to be a prima donna here. Just that even the economy cars have them nowadays.

So here is the current plan:

Prius 3 basic model. Which should contain an input for my ipod in the stereo (absolutely essential). 6 disc changer for my audiobooks (absolutely essential). Telescopic steering wheel (absolutely essential). Auto off headlights (most likely no - but hopefully it is not the case).

I hope to save a lot of money on insurance because the car does not cost so much to begin with. I am also hoping to save on sales tax and the dreaded Virginia annual excise tax.

One more question for all you kind folks - can you get the colors you want? Or is there is shortage so you need to take what is given within reason?

11. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was referring to the FOG lights. They come on the package V only. :)

12. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Thanks. I am sorry for the confusion. I read more carefully one of the post above.

"Also worth noting because you brought it up, the Prius DOES NOT have auto-on headlamps. I don't know why this is because even the Yaris has them."

As I see it, the headlamps do not turn on automatically. However, based on the brochure, it turns off automatically. I'm getting confused but I gather that's how it works. So I turn it on automatically and it will turn itself off. Don't worry. I don't need handholding at this minute level. I'll just go to the dealer and look.

Unfortunately, I cannot do a test drive right now. While I need a prius right away, I can't do it until I buy the house. That's because a test drive would involve a copy of my license and the dealer may do a credit check. Too many credit checks will lower my credit rating and that's a really bad thing when I am applying for a mortgage. Sort of a mess.