1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going to go check out a 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Takaaaa, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Takaaaa

Takaaaa New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I made up my mind and going to check out a 2005 Prius with about 70k miles at a Ford dealership.
    I called and the person I talked to said that she doesn't think that they can let me take it all the way to Toyota and have it fully checked out.

So if I cant have Toyota check it out what is the best things I can do to make sure that Im not buying a money pit?

Normally when I buy a used car I check these things:
    -Check oil levels, color and stuff
    -Check tire tread
    -Check for any signs on oil on any engine parts
    -Check under for oil leaks
    -Check seals on doors and trunk for signs of water leaking
    -Turn on the car and listen for unwanted noise
    -Make sure no smoke from exhaust
    -Check the idle with AC and without AC
    -When driving, go over a speed bump and listen for suspension sounds
    -Brake and make sure there is no unwanted sounds
    -Test electrical things (windows, locks, mirrors, all the lights, etc)

But not only am I totally new to the Prius, I even had to look on Youtube on how to turn it on. LOL

so any additional suggestions would be awesome.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All the checks you listed are fine. A few additions to the list:

1. If the car has HID headlights, turn them on at the beginning of your test drive. At the end, make sure the lights are still on (intermittent lights is a known problem area with newer 2G Prius - but should not be a problem with the 2005 model year.) Also, if the car has HID, refrain from turning the lights on and off repeatedly as that does not help the longevity of the lights.

2. Make sure the MFD (multifunction display) in the center of the instrument panel is working. This is another known problem area, due to a loose solder joint that may develop over time.

3. While looking in the hatch for water leaks, check the spare tire well and the area where the 12V battery is located (right rear corner of hatch floor.)

4. Make sure that no warning lights appear on the dashboard.

5. Prius makes all kinds of unusual noises. For example, the inverter emits a high-pitched whine when the car is decelerating. If you repeatedly pump the brake pedal when the car is READY, you'll hear the brake pressure accumulator pump run. When you first start the car and when you turn off the car, you may hear the coolant heat recovery pump run for a few seconds. This pump moves hot engine coolant between the coolant reservoir and the engine. The purpose of this is to speed up engine warmup time, hence reducing exhaust emissions during the warmup period.

6. The car has an electric AC compressor, so when the compressor comes on that puts a load on the traction battery and the inverter. Therefore I would not expect you to notice any change to engine idle speed (if the engine is even running, and it probably will not be running once the engine is warmed up and the car is stopped - except when the traction battery SOC gauge drops to two red bars.)

7. Will the car come with any warranty, such as 90 days, 3K miles on the powertrain? If it does not, then I suggest you negotiate price and terms with the salesrep, subject to vehicle inspection by Servco Pacific. If any issues are found, the Ford dealership should either agree to pay for the repair, or allow you to cancel the deal without penalty.

3. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's a BIG red flag! I'd pass on this one.