1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going to put HID onto my Halogen 2005

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SteamPowered, Feb 29, 2012.

1. SteamPowered

SteamPowered Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm going to install HID onto my 2005 prius.

A few important questions:

I've looked INTENSIVELY for a full walkthrough that includes installing ballasts. I haven't found any, do I just tape the ballasts to the bottom of my headlight assembly, how do I connect the wires, etc?

Also is 35w enough for headlights? I'm looking at this kit from the retrofit source:
    theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=227

Any help is appreciated! From what I can tell, no full walkthrough exists for a halogen to HID on a gen 2 prius, so let's build some knowledge in this thread.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No walk through exists because it is a horrible idea. You should never put HIDs in a reflector style halogen housing. :) spend the extra time and money to do a real projector retrofit.

3. SteamPowered

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Of course I'm going to install projectors. The link I gave includes the H1 projectors.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok good.

The link wasn't clickable and it's a pain to try and copy and past stuff with an iPad so I didn't bother. There is a very detailed thread on the work you want to do. Simply click the link to the Morimoto projectors in my signature. I am actually using FX-R projectors now but the thread is still relevant.

5. SteamPowered

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have read your link many times, thank you for the great writeup.

But I don't see any information on how to mount the ballasts. It sounds like you had them OEM installed.

I'm looking for info on installing and connecting ballasts. Hopefully a detailed walkthrough, I am handy but not experienced.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh, that is the easy part really. I bet usbseawolf2000 can help you there. It's really quite simple.

7. SteamPowered

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great, also there is a thread about someone who lost their highbeams going to HID from halogen. Do I need more parts or just the kit from retrofit source?

<Nevermind, I found the answer. The kit should work fine with low/high switches>

8. SteamPowered

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's another idea: I live in Tucson Arizona and I will pay $30 an hour for someone to basically babysit me through installing my retrofit. I will do the work, I just want some tips. I'm reasonably friendly.