1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going to try to go to Cedar Point before Hybridfest

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TheForce, Jul 8, 2007.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to plan to go to Cedar Point before I head to Hybridfest. I'm planning to be at Cedar Point on Wednesday July 18. I only want to go if the forecast will be %25 chance or less for rain so a last minute cancellation is possible. My parents will be going with me because my dad would like to go to a Corvair convention after Hybridfest in Detroit but my parents wont be able to ride anything with me. Riding alone is kind of boring so I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in being my ride buddy? :) I strictly stick to riding roller coasters except when I feel like taking a break and a line is short for a spin and puke ride.

So does anyone want to meet Wednesday July 18 at Cedar Point?

2. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Jul 8 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]475151[/snapback]</div>
    Well if noone else will take you up on the offer I should be able to make it up there for a few hours... Im going up there with my parents saturday but I live less than an hour away (20 minutes from my parents summer home in Catawba) so sure... and I drive a barcelona red prius so you know I have good taste in cars :D

I wonder how many people on Prius Chat have no idea what Cedar Point even is...? (sadly probally greater than 50%...)

3. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ Jul 8 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]475161[/snapback]</div>
    I grew up near Lansing, MI, and we went down to Cedar Point nearly every summer... back in the day when the Gemini was the biggest twin coaster, than later on through all the rides up through the Magnum. I haven't been back since but would love to go! Cedar Point is the best amusement park there is, IMHO -- that's what it means!

By the way, their main site has videos from the roller coaster point of view, if you ever wanna relive a ride on the Corkscrew. =)

4. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The last time I was there the Power Tower was the new ride. I've been dying to go back to ride all the new coasters. I used to go to Kings Island every year but ever since I started working back in 2000 I've been lucky if I got a chance to go. I've only been to Cedar Point twice in my life and I have to say its way better than Kings Island. I havnt been on a good thrill ride for a few years and I'm having some major adrenaline withdraw. I hope its going to be a nice clear day so I can get my adrenalin fix. If not we may have to have a hybrid meet at Kings Island some day. I can make a Kings Island round trip in a day because its closer to me.

Anyone is welcome to meet me at Cedar Point if the weather is clear. I will try to make my definite YES NO answer no later than Monday July 15th. Right now the weather for Tuesday looks like %30 thunder storms. Not really that good at this point because most of the time the rain is grouped around a few days and it looked sunny for previous few days. I hope tomorrow brings a good clear day for the 10 day forecast.

5. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well to tell you the truth, as long as the rain comes and goes quickly, rain showers can be a blessing at cedar point... The summer camp I work for took 2 groups of middle school gifted students up to cedar point on 4 trips over 2 weeks this summer for a physics program.. it rained on both days of the first week for about 30-45 minutes and cleared 1/2 of the people out of the park for the rest of the day... the lines were MUCH shorter.... and if you havent been there since 98 or 99 then you have really been mising out! The park looks a LOT different today... there have been a lot of additions with Millenium Force (continually ranked as the #1 or #2 coaster in the world), Wicked Twister, Top Thrill Dragster (which is good if the line is less than 45 minutes), although any wait is OK for your first ride which you will never forget... and the new ride Maverick (which according to most who have ridden it may be the best ride in the park now [an opinion which I have to agree with]), oh and MaXair and Skyhawk which are both fun rides too... (although Skyhawk is better IMHO)

6. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife and I drove to Cedar Point from MN in 2000.
    Milennium Force rocks! (except for the hour long wait to ride it).
    Is it still an hour or longer wait to get on that thing?

7. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Cedar Point rocks... I grew up in Ohio, went to school in Cleveland, and it was only an hour(ish) drive out there whenever we could score some free tickets :)

It's a bit far of a drive for me now, though, seeing as i'm in MN and getting back to Ohio is 10 hours or more...

8. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    hey eagle,
    small world...I grew up in Cleveland, undergrad in Wooster, and now live in Eden Prairie, MN. I haven't been to Cedar Point in at least 30 years, but loved it even back then before all the super-coasters.
    (it's also a good stock to own, stable with a great dividend (ticker: FUN).)
    rpm

9. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well isn't this a nice little Minni-soda thread!
    (About going to Ohio for a REAL amusement park!)

10. PriusMatt

PriusMatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    also grew up in cleveland. went to ignatius. went to miami university. then chicago. now l.a.

cedar point is awesome. haven't been in a long time. even though many of the coasters are taller and faster, gemini is still a FUN ride. always remember that part where you think you're gonna hit your hands on the overhead beam. and that sound of the chains cranking you up the first hill - the anticipation of the thrill that you are about to have. awesome!

11. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusMatt @ Jul 11 2007, 05:03 AM) [snapback]476683[/snapback]</div>

Ahh yes... Gemini's "headchopper".... Gemini is a great ride... when both trains are running... sometimes is the line is really short they just run one train and that takes half the fun out of it...

On a sad note, I misread the original post and just saw the "wednesday" and not the date following it... so I thought we were talking about today... Next wednesday I will be working as a camp counselor again so no cedar point for me after this weekend with my parents for quite a while (if at all again this season)... Sorry :(

12. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I hate the weather. %30 chance of scattered storms! :angry: I don't know when I will have another chance to go so I have decided to try to go for it. I really want to ride the new coasters and if thats all I get done I will be happy.

If anyone wants to join me please let me know so we can set up a time and a place to meet.

13. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update.

I will be leaving Wednesday at no later than 0500. I will not have access to the internet until about 2300 Wednesday. So if anyone wants to join me you need to let me know before 0400 Wednesday morning.

I'm hoping the rain just passes by.

14. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusMatt @ Jul 11 2007, 04:03 AM) [snapback]476683[/snapback]</div>
    Don't forget hi-five'ing people on the other train as you go around the corners!

15. joshguild

joshguild New Member

born and raised in dayton.
    we actually went to cedar point recently for my housemate's bachelor party and it rained for about 30minutes. after that, the park cleared out. we could literally walk onto any ride. we did everything about 3times. it was glorious.

16. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I went by myself and it was pretty fun. The forecast was rain all day. What I got was sun most of the day with a short shower. MAJOR sunburn! :angry:

I got to ride all the major coasters including the new Maverick which is by far the best "roller coaster" there.

Top thrill dragster is by far the best thrill ride at the park. Major acceleration G-forces. I had total tunnel vision. All I seen was blur, sky, ground, station.

Millennium Force is also a great ride. Its the first coaster in many many years that gave me the scared felling in my stomach. Thats the feeling I'm always looking for. I got the same fear during the acceleration of top thrill.

Free food tip! To get free food ride Millennium Force or Top Thrill in the front seat with your mouth open. You will collect enough bugs to fill you up.

Also going alone is a little plus because on most of the popular rides there is a single rider pass when you get near the stations.

Over all I'm glad I went and got to ride everything I wanted. I cant wait to go back!