1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going Two Months on a Tank--Fuel performance?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by linuxpenguin, Nov 5, 2009.

1. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi guys,

For all you PHEV drivers out there who have gone more than 2 months on a tank, I'm curious how your car (specifically, your remaining gasoline) fared when you went two to three months between fill-ups? Did you notice that more fuel was being burned as the tank aged?

I drive a Plugin Conversions Corp (PICC) conversion system and I haven't filled up since the first week in August (about 2 months ago today) so I guess I'm towards the end of the shelf life of the gasoline in my car even though I still have 2+ gallons left.

Has anyone had to use fuel stabilizer to prevent fuel from degrading?

I know it's probably a lost cause for this tank since the fuel has probably degraded enough already (from what I understand, the fuel becomes significantly more dense as time goes on--I admit I'm relatively ignorant of the fuel aging process and the effects therein). I should probably just use up the remaining fuel or top off my tank (though I'm a little hesitant to lose my tank average data as I'm at 890 miles on ~ 7.25 gallons) here before the average temperature drops below freezing since I'm still running summer blend fuel.

I'm also contemplating only filling my car up with half tanks from now on since it looks like I end up wasting a bunch of fuel at the end because it becomes more dense--has anyone else thought to do this or any other tricks?

Andrew

1 person likes this.
  2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm also running a tank since the beginning of August. 2200 miles so far and 17% fuel remaining. I plan on running this to 0% which should put me near December before i fill up. I don't notice anything different so far. I'm not too concerned about.

1 person likes this.
  3. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fair enough. I see you've been using EV-mode quite a bit. 2200 miles on a tank so far is very impressive--that's what, 40 miles a day? I suppose I could just use EV mode all the time and not have to worry about my fuel going bad =). I generally just drive the car normally with the ICE running for the extra acceleration...

Hmmm...I wonder how many miles I could get on a tank if I drove in EV all the time since my system has the 70 MPH EV mode...

Anyway, thanks for the post TheForce and good luck with your tank!

Andrew

1 person likes this.
  4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I run about 22 miles a day. About 4-6 miles is with the gas engine running.

I guess the best thing to do is get some gas, put it in a sealed container, then wait. Test the gas or have it tested once a month and see when it goes bad.

I have not seen a good answer on the net on how long it takes gas to go bad. Ive seen 12 weeks to 1 year. Only way to tell is to test it.

1 person likes this.
  5. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I always use Stabil in my lawn tractor and mowers...it really is an ounce of prevention worth many dollars of cure. It may help in your auto fuel. Yes, also I'd consider keeping less gas in the car so you'll be putting in fresh gas more often.

1 person likes this.
  6. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have had no issues with the fuel or ICE. I run 7-8 weeks between fillups. I think of stabile if the gas will sit for months. I think the fuel is always getting mixed while the car is moving. This IMHO would not allow the fuel to separate or degrade easily.
    Chris