1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Golden Retreiver Afraid of Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Seagull6, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Seagull6

Seagull6 New Member

I mentioned this in response to another thread, but I wan't to get more input.

My Golden Retreiver is scared to death to ride in the Prius. When I try to get him in the car he hunches his shoulders and backs out of his harness. Otherwise he loves to ride in our other vehicles and quite often drags me over to the pickup so we can go for a ride. My guess is that there's some high frequency tone or vibration emitted by the Prius that he doesn't like.

Has anyone else had problems getting a dog to ride in their Prius or does anyone know what is going on here? :huh:

2. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seagull @ Apr 28 2007, 06:52 PM) [snapback]431870[/snapback]</div>
    There is a very high pitch tone every time the battery is being charged. That may be more audible to a dog, louder, etc.

Dave

Data Daedalus likes this.
  3. parprius

parprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Apr 28 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]431873[/snapback]</div>
    We have a mini Schnauzer and he loves to ride with us. Doesn't matter what vehicle. Prius, Dakota or Grand Caravan...

4. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(parprius @ Apr 28 2007, 06:22 PM) [snapback]431879[/snapback]</div>
    My dogs also love the Prius. They don't have the acreage to run that they did in the suburban, but the windows are much more convenient for the jack russel. The only problem I ever run into is my boxer/beagle (boggle?) triggering the passenger seatbelt warning. It usually just stays buckled.

5. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. powphilprius

powphilprius Elshawno~

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your dog is probably hearing the high pitch mosfet transistor sound being emitted from the inverter high voltage circuitry. In EV mode, current flow through transistors "squeal" when under load. The Prii flows (I've read) up to & more than 50 amps, that's huge. I'm used to it but I think the average joe might not even realise it's there. It's probably painful to the animal. No harm to a adult. It goes on into EMF subject...

sturgidson likes this.
  7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How new is your car? It might not be a sound but a smell. That "new car smell" is gases being released. Even after a year they can probably still be smelled by a dog.

I'm with the other that report the Prius as being a dog favorite. Mine enjoys taking a ride. And on the way back from my parents' house he takes a nap.

8. BerkshirePrius

BerkshirePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seagull @ Apr 28 2007, 07:52 PM) [snapback]431870[/snapback]</div>
    My two Border Collies acted all wierd around my new (2005) Prius for over a week. My female was very skiddish and afraid. My male acted like he didn't want me to get in the car at all.

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yes, it's probably the ultrasonic squeal from the electric drive circuitry. It appears dogs will get used to it eventually, from the above reports.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Both of my dogs seem to be ok with the Prius, no different than our other cars.

My Kelpie refuses to walk into either bathroom in our house, but loves riding in the car. :)

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Our Dog prefers the Prius to the Lexus, but she doesn't like riding in cars in general.

12. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went and picked up my labrador puppy (my first dog) in springs, It was his first car ride ever and he did great, jumped right in and sat on the floor, two months later he cant help but jump in when i open the door.

13. CMonster

CMonster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can't keep my dog out of the car. Open a door or the hatch just a crack and she'll shove her way in.

There is a high-pitched noise from the regen brakes, but it sounds like your dog won't get in even when the car is sitting there powered off and perfectly quiet, right? Did he get in gladly the first time and balk after that? If he hated it before ever hearing it, a smell is the more likely culprit.

Try coaxing him in with a juicy treat or a favorite toy while all the windows and doors are wide open. Try a different door, or the hatch, or fold the seats down to see if any of that matters. Throw his bed or a towel in - maybe he doesn't like the upholstery.

Oh, and have you seen the auto parts commercial where the dog howls whenever the car's brakes squeal? The owner puts a set of headphones on the dog rather than fixing the brakes. You could try that. :D

14. Acelin

Acelin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seagull @ Apr 28 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]431870[/snapback]</div>
    Even after you explained the many safety features and favourable crash-test results? :)

15. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Acelin @ Apr 30 2007, 02:13 PM) [snapback]432643[/snapback]</div>
    My 3 lb Chihuahua is black. She was car shopping with me during the entire process. She was not afraid of the Prius and likes the quiet ride. She just insisted that I get a Black Prius, so she could "go Stealth" while riding in the car. ;)

16. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe you should talk with your vet. There might be something in the smell or sound of the car that your dog is particularly sensitive to. The vet might have ideas for you about how to get dog into Prius.

Maybe you can coax your dog into the car with treats and toys; don't go anywhere at first, just let the dog get used to the interior. If there is something pleasurable associated with the Prius, you'll have an easier time getting the dog to ride with you.

good luck

17. Seagull6

Seagull6 New Member

I am embarrassed - this is almost too dumb to post.

I tried getting him in the Prius one more time and discovered the problem. Previously I had been trying to get Willie to sit in the back seat. The problem was that he wanted to sit in the front seat. Today he hopped up in the front drivers seat and I had to push him over to the passenger side. I said "I'll dirve today" and he seemed satisfied to take the copilot position.

Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions. :)

18. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ewhanley @ Apr 28 2007, 10:31 PM) [snapback]431958[/snapback]</div>
    That sounds kind of dangerous. I'd never put my dog up front. If someone hit you, not only could your dog be killed, but the impact of him hitting you could kill you also.
    I put my boxer in the hatch area, of course he's only 5 months old right now, so i'm not sure if he's going to fit there forever, but i'm sure he'll be okay.

19. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ May 2 2007, 04:22 PM) [snapback]434293[/snapback]</div>
    I have considered this, and the prospect of either of my dogs unsecured during an accident makes me shudder. I am actually looking into some sort of harness. I have seen a few that are anchored to the seat belts, but then you still face the problem of the air bag. I am considering putting in a divider, and making them stay in the back but have not as of yet. Certainly a valid concern.

20. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seagull @ May 2 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]434263[/snapback]</div>
    Ha. That's rich. I'd never suspect that, as we've hardly ever had any of our dogs in the front seat. In the Prius they (usually only one at a time) go in the hatch area.

So he wasn't scared, just particular. Goldens are smart, and apparently opinionated.

Dave M.