1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Golfer Thread - Best Way To Pack The Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by M8s, Aug 6, 2009.

1. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'd like to maximize the utility of our Prii for carrying golf bags and golf gear. Please share your ideas and pictures here so the golfers among us can all benefit.

By way of background, my wife and I are avid golfers. I load my carry bag sideways if there is only one bag (but it's a tight fit). If I'm loading two bags, I put down the left-side rear seat and load the bags lengthways.

I'm not happy with the bags rubbing against the side of the rear seat. I wish there was a vinyl protector that would fit over the side of the upright rear seat and protect the leather.

OTOH, I really like the rear bumper protector sold here on PC. It prevents scratches from loading and unloading the bags and from when I tie my spikes and shoes. I added extra 3M double-sided tape to our bumper covers to make sure they stayed in place. So far, so good.

I'm planning to get a large Tupperwear-type container with a lid for shoes, visors/hats, balls, sunblock, bug spray etc. That may free up space to load luggage and push carts.

If any other golfers have ideas for carrying gear, I'd like to hear them.

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I take out my drivers and insert them between the two cubbies. Once you take the driver out of play (pun intended) the bag can be laid sideways very easily.

3. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do this with my driver as well so the bag can lay sideways. If I'm loading more than 1 bag I drop the rear passenger seat and lay the bags lengthwise. When I do this I use my vinyl travel cover to snap over the clubs so they don't get the sides of the seats dirty.

The travel cover also prevents the clubs from flying forward in the event of an accident. When I was younger a friend of mine's mother had her ski poles in her trunk laying up over the back seat...she was in a horrific accident and the ski poles flew forward into the drivers side of the car. It was found that the impact of the accident did not cause her death...it was the impact of the ski poles...tragic.

4. M8s

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Oops, duplicate post.

5. M8s

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks guys for the ideas. Maybe my driver is a little shorter (a Taylormade Superquad with a regular TM/Fujikura shaft) but, as long as I put the heads into the "cubbyhole" first, my bag just fits sideways into the back space.

My wife just got her new push cart, a Sun Mountain "Micro Cart", so I took some measurements and bought some Tupperware-like containers to hold the extra gear. These 16 qt. containers are sold at Target for about $5 and are large enough to hold my size 10 shoes plus lots of other stuff like a dozen balls, gloves, hats, tees, tape, band aids bug spray, sun block and the head cover for my bag.

Here's what it looks like with the wife's bag, the cart and one gear box:

[​IMG]

With two bags, two gear boxes and one cart, here's what it looks like:

[​IMG]

The cart will actually fit against the seat, which gives you the option of putting the gear boxes side-by-side, leaving room for a small piece of luggage (like a gym bag), sufficient for an overnight or weekend trip. Here's how that looks:

[​IMG]