1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gone to DarkSide -- Using Edge over FireFox browser

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Last few months been having trouble with FireFox. Pop-up boxes (such as those used to enter supplemental information on a Web site, like zip codes to find a local dealer) have been popping up UNDER banners on Web pages.

I get no response when I click on page links via FF (eg., I click on a tab on a product page to look at product reviews and nothing happens). A few other things.

I view the same pages in MS Edge and the pop-up boxes work fine and the links are all good.

I hate it, but what to do. There are things I don't like about Edge, but the current issues with FF outweigh them.

I may try Chrome, but over the last year, everytime I install Chrome (which I have to do through some convoluted process because normal install does not work), it works for a few weeks and then freezes into a solid brick and won't work again until I uninstall and re-install.

Anyone else seeing any of this, or am I just "lucky?"

2. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I ONLY use chrome. I switched over from IE and never looked back. I only keep IE installed because I have alot of older servers I need to talk to sometimes in compatibly is a issue not using IE. Chrome has always been a screamer and rock solid stable for me. If it freezes it could be hardware related, or a fresh install of windows works too. I fresh install annually and that usually gets rid of all the bugs and errors that accumulate and windows is known for. Just remember to back up your data then back up your backup.

Montgomery and pilotgrrl like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What version of FF?

4. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Firefox Quantum just came out.

All new rebuild from the ground up. Oh joy.

bat4255 likes this.
  5. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Started using Opera eons ago and couldn't live without tabbed browsing, gave up Exploder. Now, I mostly use Chrome.

On one laptop, Firefox barfed on itself, saying it can't find its profile file. Uninstalled and reinstalled, still the same error message. Uninstalled.

Windows is so much fun.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah! It seems that you, too, have the gift of sarcasm. :LOL:

I fired Microsoft about 8-9 years ago. Life is easier now, plus not being regularly accused of stealing an overpriced operating system.

@stevepea, I never had problems with Firefox on Window$, Linux, or Mac, although I'm getting used to and enjoying Safari with this new version. I wonder if it might be a hardware problem as @Diemaster mentioned. Or maybe a conflict with another program? Do you have any plug ins or extensions that might mess it up? They are often the source of malfunctions.

#6 jerrymildred, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    pilotgrrl, Montgomery and RCO like this.
  7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I use Opera at home, in Private Mode, with its built-in VPN. (Some weirdness when it come to location-based stuff due to the VPN, but otherwise it works fine.)
    I also use Duck Duck Go as my search engine.

Not paranoid, just trying to stay anonymous for safety's sake.

RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I mostly use work PCs to browse, but am still using FF on my personal box (Zorn OS.)
    Last week I tried to get Chromium/Chrome to install and hit a chihuahua barrier while trying to re-flash an $8 c.h.i.p. that I blundered into recently. I'll go back and tinker with it some more....when I get time....after getting some more tinker projects done but since I use IE, FF, Chrome, and Safari at work all at different times and for different reasons, then I can't be too picky at any one time or another about my browsing 'experience.'

I've never had a reason to use Edge.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I was auto-updated to that (had to check, but yup, it's Quantam). The two things I've noticed:

1. Home icon shifted from top-right to top-left. After reaching towards top-right about a dozen times, I looked up how to shift the icons around, fixed that.

2. The Tab bar across the top has gone from off-white to stark-black. Don't really like the look, but OTOH it makes it a lot easier to figure out which tab is is current.

There's other changes? :ROFLMAO:

jerrymildred and RCO like this.
  10. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, some legacy add-ons no longer work. No big surprise.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use chrome on my Android phone and all my laptops, tablets and computers. Never had any issues with it locking up. Sounds like there is something in your software that is causing the chrome to lock up. I use to use Firefox, but after chrome kept getting better and better, I went to chrome. Chrome is amazing on my Samsung phone. With chrome on my phone, I don't need to use the "apps" for all my visits. I can use my bookmarks from my laptop on my phone using chrome.

RCO likes this.
  12. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Huh? Did I say something here? Or did you mix me up with another user? :)
    Though I in fact do use Windows and Firefox (with ghostery, which I have to shut off to log onto PC, then I turn it back on).

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Seems there are a lot of (cough, cough) "legacy" websites coded for Exploder. One would think the legions of crackers would have found and exploited all of them by now.

I guess I shouldn't complain. My workplace has plenty of IT stupidity.

An email program that needs, but doesn't have, an SSL certificate. "Are you sure you want to proceed to this website?" every day.

DNS incorrectly configured, so we get Google in Tagalog. (Yes, that person doesn't belong anywhere near a DNS server. And, no, I don't want to use Google.ph, I don't understand Tagalog.)

Order/inventory system with one of the 10 most popular passwords. (On a very hackable platform, too!)

Colleagues who haven't been trained how to properly use email, and hit "Reply All" to every email they receive. (There's a reason I don't read a lot of my email...)

Mark57, RCO and SFO like this.
  14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I did my short installation manager's course with RAF, the first warning given for resolving operator errors was to ensure they had power to their system. Surprisingly such a simple thing is the prevalent problem for
    'dunknow, it's not rebooting'!

pilotgrrl and Mark57 like this.
  15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did indeed, have a brain cramp. My apologies. :oops: Now, it's too late to edit. Oops.
    I meant to tag @Stevewoods, the OP.

RCO likes this.
  16. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I certainly confuse myself from time to time, so why should you be exempt? :ROFLMAO:

Mark57, jerrymildred and pilotgrrl like this.
  17. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The canonical help desk answer to that problem was "Put it back in the box and take it back to the store. (Sotto voce or in one's mind: You're too stupid to use it...)"

RCO likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I upgraded to Win10 I found it sorta force-feeds you Edge. I gave it a gallant try, didn't like the way it presented bookmarks, had a minimalist interface (that went too far imho) and just seemed to be confounding me at every turn.

Finally threw up my hands, found Internet Explorer was still (grudgingly, I assume) included, went back to that for a while. But something (forget what) was confounding my peacful browsing in that that program too, finally lit on FireFox, which has done fine, to date.

pilotgrrl, Mark57 and jerrymildred like this.
  19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One day I may be in the state of Florida, the next day, in the state of Ohio. But always in a state of confusion. :whistle:

pilotgrrl, RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I hear some are going to WaterFox now