1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gonna miss my BMW

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by madtowngirl, Apr 29, 2005.

1. madtowngirl

madtowngirl New Member

Started looking for a Prius last week & we are getting one delivered to our house tomorrow! Catch is, we are trading in an 01 BMW X5 that I love. It was my idea to get the Prius & trade in the BMW for various reasons - sick of paying $60 to fill up tank, be good example to our 1 yr old son, save the earth, etc. But I sure am gonna miss the leather seats, moonroof, driving performance, safety of the BMW. I keep reminding myself why I am doing this & am excited about the Prius but I sure hope I'm making the right decision.

2. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madtowngirl\";p=\"85753)</div>
    Have you checked the safety rating on the Prius? 5 star for driver, 4 star for passenger in the frontal collision, and 4 stars front and rear for the side impact.

3. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

Ignore the NHTSA crash scores; it's an antiquated and flawed test. Look at the European new car assessment. The X5 scores five stars, and so does the Prius. In fact, the Prius tied for the highest score in it's class, large family vehicle.

The reason I choose the 04 Prius was because of the safety; fuel economy and emissions were secondary reasons. I was only 17 when I got my Prius, and the reason it was my second car was because my 2000 Subaru Outback was totalled in a serious accident; I wasn't going to ignore safety by any stretch when considering my next car. Good automotive engineering can mean the difference between life and death; take comfort in the advanced engineering and stellar crash test scores of the Prius.
    It's interesting you are trading down from an X5. My good friend's family had an X5 4.4, a CRV, and a Grand Cherokee. They traded the Cherokee for a 02 Prius, and additionally bought an 04 Prius. They love their Prii.

You will probably miss the solid handling and luxury of the BMW, I won't lie...However, you will enjoy so many more great aspects of the Prius like filling up for $15-$20 instead of $60, the good feeling of driving a car with very low emissions, and industry-leading Toyota quality and reliability; the list goes on.

I love my Prius, and according to Consumer Reports, so do 94% the rest of us Prius drivers. I comfortably say that you will absolutely love your Prius too.

Congratulations and welcome aboard.
    Flyingprius

4. rocco

rocco Member

Yeah I was aprehensive about missing my "gasp" landcruiser - but I couldn't think of better, more unique, attention getting car to replace it than this one. This was at the beginning of the year and I never think about the landcruiser - except when my daughter drives it over :) Let me tell you - for 'cool' factor - amonst the young people anyway, the Prius can't be beat!

5. rocco

rocco Member

Not that I'm in it wholly for looks or cool factor. wait a minute . . . nevermind

6. Califm5

Califm5 New Member

Hey Madrowngirl....
    I got my Prius in October. I have a 2002 M5 sitting in my garage that has been driven a whopping 500 miles since then. Im selling it to Carmax this weekend. Any post BMW depression I should be aware of? :)

7. madtowngirl

madtowngirl New Member

I don't know yet. Ask me in a few months. I'm sure I will miss somethings about it - as we say the "zoom zoominess" of the BMW. Oh - and the rain sensor windshield wipers! I was very sad cleaning it out tonight. But I am excited about the Prius for different reasons & am glad to hear how high it scored on the safety tests. I did get package 6 in part to help ease the pain for giving up the other luxurys.

8. Califm5

Califm5 New Member

hehheh I have been driving my Prius since October...I look at it....but every time I have a choice I will take the Prius. My friends think I have fallen out of my tree. But hey whats the use of a car to look at! :) You will love your Prius!

9. GregAZ

GregAZ Junior Member

Actually, you would be surprised at how many current Prius owners switched from other "luxury" brands. Personally, I have an Audi A6 that I am selling, that got replaced by the Prius. Now ... of course the Prius is not an Audi, and I miss some of that. But, I know the reasons I bought it, and it has delivered on every single one of those. Currently I am getting 50 MPG, and the bleeding at the pump has stopped! :D

Enjoy!

Greg in Arizona

10. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay... more things to make you feel at ease. These are the cars I've owned in the past five years (not in any order of preference). 2000 Mercedes C280, 2001 Mercedes C320, 2002 Jeep Liberty, 2002 Subaru WRX wagon, 2002 Audi allroad. I will take my 2004 Prius # 9 over ANY of those cars. This is truly my favorite car.

11. Woody

Woody New Member

I've recently owned a 3 series BMW and a Corvette. I love my new Prius. It's a fantastic car.

12. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

The Prius seats are actually really nice. Moonroof would be nice. You might actually like the driving perforamnce of the prius better, no joke! Saftey is just as good or better with the prius

13. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

Over the weekend, I was coming home from the grocery store and had the windows down. A woman and her daughter pulled up alongside and rolled their windows down and said "We really like your car...what is it?". Now, in over 30 years of driving, including some "attention getting cars", that was the FIRST time that ever happened.