1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good 12V source in engine bay?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ultimate4g63, May 27, 2008.

1. ultimate4g63

ultimate4g63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey guys,

I am doing some HID modifications and require a good 12V source in the engine bay as the original halogen power supply seems inadequate. On a normal car I'd use a relay and run fused 12V from the alternator. I believe there's no alternator on this car, so can anyone tell me where I can obtain this in the engine bay?

Thank you.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    HID lights are supposed to use less power as compared to regular halogen headlights. However if you want to establish an alternate source of 12V power, the obvious place would be the large relay/fuse box near the inverter. You could attach a cable to the dedicated positive jumpstart terminal in the upper left corner, which would give you unswitched 12V power.

3. iLLa Prius

iLLa Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    also you could just do it straight to the battery, with a fuse and add your own on off switch. i just dont understand why they HID's dont work.

4. ultimate4g63

ultimate4g63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks guys.

I ended up using the main 12v from the fuse box as the relayed power, triggered from the original halogen connector.

I'm assuming that the OEM Prius HID ballasts require more amperage than the OEM halogens get. When I had the HID's connected using the 12v and ground from the halogen harness, I got nothing from the HID's with low beams on even though I confirmed the 12v and ground (and proper wiring) with a volt meter. Using the fused 12v from the fuse box worked like a charm.