1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good day Noise Issue + ABS/TCS/VSC Warning Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Roxy1968, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Roxy1968

Roxy1968 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good day to you all. We bought a used 2010 toyota prius touring. It has 174364kms. We've had it for about a month. The drivers side dash is making a buzzing noise while driving that'll make you bonkers. It sounds like its coming from inside the dash by the power button possibly...? Also, the traction stability, the red brake light, the abs & yellow exclamation point light comes on. This came on before the noise started. The parking brake is not on. I'm new to this forum. I appreciate & thank you all for your time and knowledge. I'm not sure how to post a video or picture as its says my file is to big.Thank you kindly again for looking at this.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello and welcome to PriusChat!

Typically those lights will come on if there’s an issue with the ABS, traction control or stability control system (they’re all linked together so one fault will trigger all 3).

3. Roxy1968

Roxy1968 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you for your timely response. Would it be the cause of the high pitched whistling noise? Its concerning. We dont know what it could be.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that buzzing may mean the brakes are in a dangerous condition. i would get it to a dealer asap

5. Roxy1968

Roxy1968 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you for your reply. I've been doing some reading & someone mentioned that it's a warning noise. The person had been covered under Toyota Warranty enhancement ZJB. They had their brake booster & brake pump assembly repaired free of charge. Would a Prius make such an unnerving noise to get serviced? I appreciate your time.

bisco likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m not sure. It’s hard without a video or being there in person. Hopefully others will chime in if they’re familiar with your symptoms.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't know if that's the noise, but there is a very load brake warning noise trying to save your life. it's that important.

Roxy1968 likes this.
  8. Roxy1968

Roxy1968 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wish I could figure out how to post the video. Thank you

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you have to post on you tube than copy here, but there may be other ways.

10. Roxy1968

Roxy1968 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not sure how to post to YouTube.

11. Roxy1968

Roxy1968 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When we scanned it about a week ago. The codes were C0210 (Right Rear Speed Sensor) C0215 (Left Rear Speed Sensor) & C1238 (Foreign Object Attached On Tip Of Right Rear Sensor)

12. Roxy1968

Roxy1968 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just figured out how to youtube. It's a short & called 2010 Toyota Prius Noise. I don't know how to post it on here...

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    More specifically, those lights come on when the ECU that controls the brakes, ABS, traction and stability control has some diagnostic trouble codes to give you. There are around two hundred of those possible codes and there are even a couple of them that don't indicate a problem originating in the brake. ABS, or traction/stability control systems at all—those oddball codes just relay information about issues elsewhere in the car.

That ECU also controls a high-pitched buzzer that it can turn on to warn you about certain trouble codes that put you at extra-high risk of difficulty stopping the car.

With brake issues, it may not be wise to spend time guessing why the lights are on. Finding out what the trouble codes are should be a priority. If you do not have easy access to a scan tool that can show you the codes, you can get them without a scan tool, as described on this wiki page:

Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

Tideland Prius likes this.