1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good Deal? Why should I buy this car?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by egolise, Jun 23, 2010.

1. egolise

egolise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so I'm in the market for a car and have mostly been considering a new compact hatch (Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, etc). My wife's co-worker offered to sell me his 2006 Prius with 71,000 miles for $11,000. I haven't actually seen the car yet but he's fine with me taking it to a dealership to get a full check out before purchase.

I mostly do city driving and have a significant amount of car travel for work.

What are your thoughts on this Prius deal? Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My flat out opinion?

That's not a bad price.
    If he's willing to allow you to fully check it out? Do so. Have it fully checked out.

If it passes? Good Deal.

Also I recently bought a Honda Fit..and it's a nice vehicle. But brand new? It still cost closer to $19,000 (with extra's).

$11,000 for a Prius which will give you better gas mileage, is a pretty good deal.

I'd run the proverbial Car Faxs. See if any red flags show up. Is he the original owner? But at $11,000...that's quiet a bit cheaper than either a New Versa or a Fit.

Even though, I love my new Fit, it's amazingly versatile and has fantastic cargo space for a small vehicle...I would say Honda makes you pay a premium for what they perceive as being a popular and well designed vehicle...which it is...but for subcompact? It's not cheap. Just for your information, in 3 months ownership I'm averaging around 31 mpg in mixed but primarily city driving. So keep that in mind, if you do significant car travel for work? The extra 10, 15 maybe close to 20 mpg could really be a benefit.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    egolise, welcome to the site. What option package does the car have? Post the VIN at http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/index.html to see the dealer service history. If you are going to drive the car for business you can turn a profit on the mileage allowance.

4. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    N.A.D.A. Home Page

But it appears to be a fair deal if it's package I/II/III and and awesome deal if it's above IV...also depends on the overall condition, maintenance, blah blah blah... and 2006+ have the tougher interior compared to the 2004-2005 that chipped easily.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like a pretty good deal barring anything outlandish on the title.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can't speak to the price, but a Prius makes a great city car.

You'll get much better mileage than any non-hybrid in the city and you won't be needlessly idling w/the ICE (internal combustion engine). ICE doesn't need to run either in stop and go or low speeds unless you demand hard acceleration or the HV battery runs low.

7. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Just be aware that on the older cars, depending on package, common items that will fail are the HID leadlamps, the ECUs and at some point after 100K - 120K, the catalytic converter. The older the car, the less likely the factory is to step in and help.

Older Prii buyers with me, as I get older cars traded for the new ones regularly, are treated to great pricing for that very reason... and this 2006 seems a very aggressive price. Just save a few extra bucks for what MAY be coming. I'd give you that same advice on any older car out of warranty, but on Prius, the repairs are pricy because the parts are. :)

That's my very best MOM advice for ya. And, I do speak from experience, with a 2007 Prius that is nearing 120K today.

8. egolise

egolise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the excellent insight everyone. Still thinking this over...