1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good dealer experience - Michael Toyota, Fresno

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by knowledgeseeker, Sep 19, 2004.

1. knowledgeseeker

knowledgeseeker New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Last Sunday we drove 160 miles (each way) from Walnut Creek, CA to Fresno, CA to pick up our Prius. It's a Driftwood Pearl, BC package, one of the last 2004's.

We purchased the car from Michael Automotive. We paid list price for the BC with three options that had been installed at the port:
    Base price: $20,295
    BC 5,245
    EF bumper applique 65
    CF carpet mats 184
    V2 glass breakage sensor 149
    delivery, proc., handling 515
    -------------
    $26,453 as had been quoted to us in advance.
    Doc preparation fee 45
    Sales tax (our county) 2,186.09
    License fee (est) 225
    CA tire fee 5
    ------------
    Grand total $28,914.09

Our first contact with the dealership was on May 7th, at which time I provided my credit card number (no actual charge was made against the card). So our wait was about 4 months, somewhat longer than estimated.

We dealt with their internet sales manager, Evan Schroeder. He was helpful and straightforward. He came in on a Sunday (his usual day off) since that was the day we could make the trip. He spent about an hour and a half explaining the car to us. Then he stayed to oversee most of the transaction (he had to leave before everything was done), He is clearly an enthusiast.

I was provided with a copy of the pre-delivery preparation checklist. They had entered some non-default settings on the "body electronics" options, as per my request. The car was clean. They filled the tank before we drove off. The entire purchase experience took (perhaps) three hours.

The only concerns we had were:
    - no play area or toys for our daughter (6 years old). Should have brought more of our own.
    - an odd form we were told we had to sign acknowledging that we knew the car was not designed to accommodate snow chains, but that other snow traction devices might be acceptable, as listed in the owner's manual (which says snow chains are OK). I've been meaning to call them about that and ask for a copy of the form. By the time we signed it we were exhausted, our daughter was climbing the walls, and (since we are not really planning for the Prius to see snow very often) we did not put up the back pressure that we probably should have.
    - a somewhat aggressive sales pitch for the extended warranty by the "finance guy" (withstood successfully).

On the trip home I was pleased with the car's power. When we drove through the Altamont pass the windmills were churning and the dust devils swirling along the barrier at the side of the road. I had less trouble with crosswinds in the Prius than did my wife, following in our (her) V6 Passat wagon. Much of that trip was at 72-75 mph, the average speed of the traffic on those roads. The readout estimated 42 MPG (actual MPG probably was 40.5, based on our first fill-up).

2. peart75

peart75 New Member

knowledgeseeker,

i think you messaged me a while ago when i first gave my positive indications of this dealer. In the end the whole deal went a lot better than i expected. I am glad to see we both had a very similar positive experience.

i have about 3K on my car now and my tank average was hoving at around 48 MPG until recently when i took a load of people to LA one weekend. this helped break in the car some and this tank so far has a 51 MPG average.

enjoy your new car!

-drew

3. knowledgeseeker

knowledgeseeker New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Good dealer experience - Michael Toyota - follow-up

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knowledgeseeker\";p=\"40424)</div>
    I called Evan and he explained that they had had a guy come in and:
    - buy a Corvette with sport suspension and fat wheels
    - put chains on the car
    - ruin the car
    - sue the dealership because they had not warned him of this.
    So they make all their customers sign the form.

I still do not have a copy of the form, but apparently it is not specific to the Prius, or Toyota in general, in any way.

PS - my thanks to Drew for steering me right.

4. bbianchi

bbianchi New Member

I am happy to see that the two of you had good experiences with this dealer.

However I would like to note that its only really the sales side of the house.

I had purchased a 2000 VW Beetle from their VW/AUDI/PORSCHE side of the house and within 9 months the car had been into the shop roughly 20 times. Every time there were new problems.

Either A) The techs would break something else by being too rough or putting it togeather upside down, B) They would call me to tell me its done and ready to be picked up only to get there and realize not only is it not done, but it hasnt even been worked on (like 4 days later), or C) Excuses about how the "Primary" tech was in LA at training and they wouldn't be able to look at my problems.

Now mind you a 2000 VW beetle is a lot less complex than a Prius as well. I have even had several phone conversations with Mr. Michael himself and he was about the most un-caring whatever person ive ever spoken to. He had no concern for my long list of problems and his service departments lack of skill and quality.

It finally took 9 months of hounding VW Motor Corp of America and Michael to get the Factory rep to come out. After all his promised remidies failed and a threat of a law suit against him, the dealership, and VW of America he decided it was time to buy the car back. Happiest day of my life.

All that being said, I realize it was a VW and this is a Toyota, however its the same shop. I would always take the Beetle to the Toyota service department to be worked on. One reason I plan on NEVER EVER taking my Prius there.

I ended up getting mine from the Fahrney Automotive Group in Selma where I live from a good friend of mine from Highschool who's father owns the Dealership. They were extreemly nice, cut me huge discounts all the way around, and it's their policy to include the first three oil changes free of charge.