1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good deals within 100 mi. of Philly?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by RhythmDoctor, May 1, 2008.

1. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi everyone. I'm brand new here. I've been shopping for a Prius for a few weeks now. I started looking at used ones but too many were salvage cars and the ones with clean titles were asking as much as a discounted new car. So now I'm looking for new. (I've always bought new cars in the past and drive them for 180-200k before giving away.)

Supply of Priuses has really dwindled in the last couple of weeks. Dealers always try to instill a sense of panic to keep prices high, but inventories on the internet have really declined. One dealer told me he went from a 60 day supply to a 60 day waiting list in the last few weeks. I think that's an exaggeration, but I don't think he's totally making it up.

I don't need a car right now - I could wait all summer - but the current short supply makes dealers really reluctant to discount. Do any of you have tips on dealers who are still offering good prices to people who are willing to pick a car off the allocation lists? Or is everybody just jacking the prices up because of tough supply/demand conditions? I've bought 5 cars in the last 20 years, and every one of them was invoice+$400 or less. Doesn't look like I will hit that target this time.

Also, any clues why supply is drying up? Is it just higher demand with the recent spike in gas prices, or is production ramping down for 2009 changeover?

Thanks,

Rick