1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good God! $100 Million!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tag, Nov 9, 2004.

1. tag

tag Senior Member

Microsoft Sees $100 Million First Day for 'Halo 2'

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - First-day sales of Microsoft Corp.'s new video game "Halo 2" will reach $100 million, a senior Microsoft games executive said on Tuesday.

LINK: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/n...crosoft_halo_dc

2. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I'm just happy my boyfriend isn't a Halo freak! :)

:guns: Microsoft

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well sure, that's $100MM in direct sales, but what about the indirect jobs and sales? For example, the new cases of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and eye strain will keep doctors busy for a while. Not to mention the impending surge in delivery pizza sales. All this might be countered, unfortunately, but the loss of productivity hit realized by employers.

4. rflagg

rflagg Member

Yes, the video game industry already beats out the movie industry yearly by a billion or two.

Microsoft single-handedly brought the Xbox to power with Halo. They're betting that Halo 2 will bring Xbox Live to very profitable levels. I'm sure Halo 3 is already being produced & worked on for the Xbox 2 as we speak.

Meanwhile, I believe GTA: San Andreas is the first game to break 100mil, but I'm not positive on that.

-m.

5. heliotropehead

But San Andreas is actually FUN! :wink:

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Man, without my $55 they would have only made $99,999,945.

Without Halo, I'm afraid that the XBOX would have been another Sega Saturn or NeoGeo - a great piece of hardware without the software to push it.

As much as many may hate MS for their Windows Monopoly, their consumer products really are far superior to anything else out there. I use MS Natural Keyboards at home and work, optical mice (wired at work, wireless at home), etc etc.

Not to start a flame-war, but the XBOX's hardware is far superior to the PS2.

Now let's hope that the NextBox doesn't support HD-DVD when the rest of the world is using Blu-Ray. That and the removal of the hard-drive could kill it.

7. Dianne

Dianne New Member

My two boys - 14 and 20.... bought their own at different stores. I find it hilarious that they gripe about waiting in line for the grocery store, or to see a movie, or even at a shop for me, waiting for 5-10 mins, but they both will wait thru 100-200 people in a line that's moving slow for this damn game! I think Justin told me that he walked to the mall (a mile, great exercise for him after the accident and his injuries) and he waited 2 hours to get it. But, truthfully, they really enjoy this game and have been anticipating it for quite a while!

Dianne

8. heliotropehead

Truth be told, I have never played Halo in my life. The only reason the bf doesn't like it is because he doesn't like the controller. When my brother comes for a visit I may give it a shot. (haha) He never goes anywhere without his XBOX. For now I'm happy mowing people down on our PS2.

9. rflagg

rflagg Member

Pick up halo 1 for the pc - you can use the mouse and keyboard, and it's just as fun. I only had the demo on the PC, and then bought it on the Xbox - but I can understand not wanting to use controllers for FPSes, and usually they don't translate well from consoles to PC or vice versa.

But with Bungie, and a few other companies who do the cross platform thing, sometimes you'll be suprised to find you can have just as much fun with each version if it's ported correctly.

-m.

10. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure how well known it is, but x-box controllers come in two sizes now. Many people complained about the large ones, so they came out with smaller ones that are really nice. Most people i know use smaller controllers. The original/large ones are too hard to use.