1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good Inventory, Fast MSRP Purchase in NJ

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by ken2023, Aug 24, 2023.

1. ken2023

ken2023 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Fairly easy experience with purchasing a Prime XLE Premium in NJ. Went into a dealership in the Princeton area, asked about purchasing one. They explained their process -- when one arrives in port, they have a list of folks interested and call them. The first one that can make it into the dealership and put a $1k deposit can get the car. I told him the trim levels I wanted. A week later, one came in, he called me, and I said I'd be right over, drove to dealership and put down the deposit. A week after that, car arrives, I stop by and pick it up, MSRP, no dealer-installed options although they offered plenty. Very happy with the car. There does seem to be a lot of inventory in the state, and had been watching and planning to buy for the last 5 or 6 months, decided to purchase a few weeks ago when I saw a lot of new cars allocated to dealerships here. They also offered to build to spec at MSRP with 3-6 month delivery, and had a good number of cars lined up for that. Anyhow, there are dealerships where they're now easy to get at MSRP, at least in my state, and some that have inventory sitting on the lot because they're asking over MSRP.

I've been reading the forum for a few months, appreciate all the good info. Have been reading forum posts on the model for a few months and appreciate all the info. FWIW I don't have a problem with the steering wheel and the display cluster. Am 5'10", steering wheel position is where I prefer, and clear view over the top. I think if you are shorter and prefer the seat low, or are my height and want to bottom out the seat, it might interfere with where you want the steering wheel. But there's certainly a seat position for any driver where it works. Driver attention warning I also find works well and is useful, beeps when I'm genuinely not looking at the road for a long period. Everything about the car good. Amazingly fast just in EV mode. Most annoying thing for me is the charger getting locked into the port when the car is locked -- it's in my garage, and seems to lock itself in, so have to always use the fob to unlock in order to remove the charger. Wish I could just turn that off, I can see it would be useful if you are using a public charger, don't want someone to just unplug you, but PITA when I'm only doing home charging.

#1 ken2023, Aug 24, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2023
    bisco, AndersOne and hill like this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Vandalism with L2 public is not that uncommon. It would be frustrating if some unscrupulous vindictive person came along and snapped the plug off because they couldn't simply just unplug you.
    Even supercharger stations aren't immune to Ah0le$ & their vandalism.

a-hoez.jpg

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! i would say you were very fortunate in the timing and price

4. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I like the display in front of the driver, going from Volt to Prime a few years ago I immediately missed that. Also on my 2020 I can’t make out a lot of things, icons are small and farther away. Don’t have the sharpest eyes anymore. But I knew this going to the second 2020 Prime. The 2023 is great on display placement and clarity imo, although never looked at one except in the pictures. There should be setting options for the cord unlock. Maybe it also has a button unlock in the charger port. Not sure of the 2023 options. On mine it has those and the key just needs to be in pocket to unlock the cord.

5. ken2023

ken2023 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Vanvandenburg you are correct. Found an option to turn off charging port auto lock/unlock. Thanks!

6. Julie Spencer

Julie Spencer New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also bought second hand but not as lucky as you

7. GeoJ

GeoJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    You can turn off the lock on the charging port. I also found the locking port inconvenient, in fact until I knew it locked I thought there was a problem with my charger!). I forget the details but it was pretty easy to find by searching the manual and I'm not all that tech savvy. My experience getting the car was also easier than most although inventory was limited. Glad to hear inventory is going up and there will be more of these so getting tires, repairs will be easier. Congrats on the car, enjoy!

Edit: just saw you already found the unlock!

ken2023 likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who else bought second hand?