1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good lumbar support cushions compatible with 2018 Prime Plug-In front passenger's seat?

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by jdb2, Sep 7, 2020.

1. jdb2

jdb2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I know similar questions have been asked before, but using the forum search function, I couldn't find any results that matched my exact criteria or weren't ancient posts.

I'm moving to Colorado from Texas and getting there will involve a road trip in a 2018 Prius Prime Plug-In. One of my loved ones has back problems and the front passenger's side seat is very uncomfortable for them. I thought Toyota might supply a lumbar support cushion but all I could find on their site was a replacement for the adjustable lumbar support mechanism for the driver's side seat, which is not what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

jdb2

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota does make PRIME specific lumber support cushion in Japan (pictured below), but I have not found one sold in the US. The Toyota parts # is 08220-47380. It is very expensive ~350 USD or 38000 JPY. I don't have a specific recommendation for Prius PRIME, but am sure any of the lumbar support cushions sold in the US will function just as well. I use to use a cheap mesh type like this one in my old cars.

Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 11.36.51 AM.png

3. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    all the ones I've tried were WAY too much, so I ended up cutting cloth cover on one end and using bread knife on the foam to remove about 60% of the thickness, then back in cover and sealed the now loose cloth with fabric glue.

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. BChoAss

BChoAss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I currently reside in NorCal and frequently travel to SoCal to see my immediate family couple times a month. (400 mile drive)

I've been using one of these Purple Seat Cushion knock offs and they've been really helping with my lower back strain.

I also found that there is a lumbar cushion available.

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips guys!. I really wanted to try the OEM lumber support I mentioned in my comment #2, but Toyota parts #08220-47380 ~350 USD or 38000 JPY is way too expensive. Besides, it can only be purchased from Japan so the real cost can be even higher after the shipping cost is added.

I recently had to drive my 2021 PP on a longish ~6 hours trip on the highway. Even though my PP comes with a power seat and power lumbar support, by the end of the trip, my butt was so sore and numb plus my lower back pain was starting. This did not happen when I drive our larger much more supportive seats of an SUV. I decided to invest in the seat cushion + additional lumbar support. Gonna give it a try with the following items. Yep, I bought all of them. Compare them and see which one to keep or return.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0987PBG9K
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XX3W5KR
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09P4M616B
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XJNGWYS

BChoAss likes this.
  6. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I got the big "seat" for $23 but today price is $30. I plan on using as lumber or lumber/seat when sleeping in car with seat fully reclined. Interesting pad. Rather heavy, and acts like its almost a waterbed but seems to have full venting.

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BChoAss likes this.