1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good news...Toyota is LOWERING Prius prices in CA

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by E. Dennis, Apr 8, 2015.

1. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    "For the citizens of the state that has the biggest impact on Prius sales, it's understandable that Toyota might be offering its biggest perks there. With the next-generation version of the world's most popular hybrid not likely to see the light of day until the 2016 model year, the Japanese automaker is looking to spur sales as a stopgap measure."... Read about it here:

Toyota lowering Prius sticker prices in California

For you left-coast '15 v four buyers, you can likely expect 6k off sticker, without arm-wrestling. I would presume these savings will flow nationwide.

For example,I have a written quote from a Sac-area dealer, as follows: '15 v four' MSRP $30,745---SALE PRICE: 24,745.

So, save your pennies this summer. Toyota will likely dump the '15, hopefully to amaze us with a '16 model equipped with upgraded battery, trannie and engine features. And how about that 3rd row seat that US buyers currently can't get?

#1 E. Dennis, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    wjtracy likes this.
  2. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I live in a Chicago suburb. I just researched a Toyota dealer here. They are discounting heavily here as well. I only looked at the 2015 Avalons. Taking $6,000 off before even negotiating. I bought a new one this time last year.

E. Dennis likes this.
  3. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed.
    I like the Prius v, and if I were a betting man, I'd hold off on buying a '15 until I could peek at the '16 model. I'm speculating that the '16 v will offer much more bang for the buck.
    If I'm wrong... I'd buy a heavily discounted '15 v in the third or fourth quarter and enjoy thousands of dollars in savings. It's a buyers market, in my opinion.

4. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think it is a buyers market as well. Consumers Reports magazine says now is a good time to buy a hybrid car while prices are discounted because gasoline prices are down and will not stay down.

5. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    Totally agree....
    I think Toyota is going to finally offer the upgrade battery pack in '16 for their hybrid cars. I also believe they'll try to incorporate more overseas features into models offered for US sale. Third row option for Prius v; an AWD model? These are certainly doable.
    I'm hoping the '16 models (particularly the Prius line) offer contemporary upgrades.
    There's a significant amount of competition in the electric and hybrid auto lines. I would expect Toyota to kick it up a notch.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    .....also note that we have U$Dollar greenback dollar bill as King these days so this is perhaps in part currency market in our favor.

As Ray says, just a little piece of paper coated with chlorophyll

E. Dennis likes this.
  7. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    '16 Prius is supposed to get a little better MPG. I think the Prius will have a lot of changes.

E. Dennis likes this.
  8. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed, but the USD has been King since at least 2013. The Sterling, Euro, and Yen were wobbling back in July 2013.

So, Toyota comes up with very large price reductions at the end of their US 2015 FIRST quarter, which is significant, in my humble opinion.

The '15 Prius v model, for example,---just introduced to dealer lots a dozen or so weeks ago--- (...in CA, at least,) has easily dropped 6k off MSRP, for savvy buyers. This is after a touted model-year makeover.

I think Toyota is now realizing they must remain competitive in the Hybrid - Electric market. At one time, Toyota was class-leader, particularly with the Prius line. Now, there are competing manufacturers catching up. Personally, I'm waiting for the new Golf Sportwagen to show up at my local dealer. VW's turbo-four, hot wagon might easily trump Toyota's v model (...high-class Audi-type interior, great fuel mileage, sporty looks, and more standard features), all at a very competitive price.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're willing to wait just a bit longer after that, the Golf Alltrak is coming with AWD.

E. Dennis likes this.
  10. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed, Sir. I've been eyeing that also.

I think the Alltrak, like the Golf Sportwagen, is going to be a North America hit, particularly with the 4-cyl gas turbo.

Who has a trendy wagon anymore? Honda's Accord wagon disappeared years ago (a critical mistake), and the Subaru offerings are mediocre (in my humble opinion). My '12 Forester went through oil, like a lot of Boxer engine owners, who complain on various Subaru forums.

Audi and Acura wagons command a premium price, and Volvo may not even be in the running (...how many Volvos can you spot in your own neighborhood?). And most consumers don't want to spend extra dollars on a vehicle that requires premium fuel.

Personally, I don't need AWD/4WD anymore. I'm one of many who are uninterested in a trendy CUV. Give me a high gas mileage wagon (or, you can call it a 5-door lift-back) with plenty of room and an Audi or MBZ type interior.