1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good offer on Touring or not?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mastem4, Nov 7, 2006.

1. mastem4

mastem4 New Member

Need advice: first time buyer........dealer emails me $1400 below MSRP on Package#6 Touring. On the phone he says the car he has was bought by a guy who didn't drive it but bought it anyway, then didn't like it after 150 miles and begged to get out of the deal. The dealer agreed and now wants to sell it to me as a used car for the price above....any opinions.....going to drive it TODAY!
    Michael

2. ditto231

ditto231 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mastem4 @ Nov 7 2006, 07:06 AM) [snapback]344941[/snapback]</div>

How did the car get 150 miles if the guy didn't drive it?

You can get this type of deals now with the new one with 0 miles on it.

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mastem4 @ Nov 7 2006, 10:06 AM) [snapback]344941[/snapback]</div>
    Technically speaking, if it was titled, then it is a used car. 150 miles is not a lot, though, but I thought I'd seen posts here of folks getting 1000 off on a new Prius, now that demand was down and inventory was up.

4. mastem4

mastem4 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ditto @ Nov 7 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]344948[/snapback]</div>
    Dittto..........I wasn't clear...what the dealer said was the first guy didn't drive it before he bought it, just did the deal and drove off, then wanted to return it. I agree with you that there are deals out there now.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< If it is a used car, there are several considerations:

1. You can't purchase a Platinum Extended Warranty up to 3 years/36K miles;
    2. Correct: You can make a similar deal on a spanking new Touring Prius;
    3. You don't know "how" those miles were put on the car. Probably OK, but you don't know;
    4. You will NOT be entitled to the IRS Tax Credit [$3,150 or $1,575 depending on the original purchase date] the first owner got that.

Sounds suspiciously like the first owner wanted to take the IRS Tax Credit and get out of the deal... $1,575 in the bank for him. You can't legally take the Tax Credit on a used car even if the original owner did not take it.

I bought my 2004 "used" with 4,000 miles on the clock. It's been a great car but with the bumper-to-bumper warranty expiring and limited options on Extended Warranties, I decided to upgrade to a 2007 Touring Edition and got ~90% in trade of what I paid for my 2004 which was MSRP "used." My "penalty" at the time was the 4,000 miles on the clock. I believe those "used Prius high price" days are winding down since, in my area (North Texas) you can find new Prius on dealers' lots ready to deliver and can negotiate the price a little.

Either way... you will enjoy the Prius.