1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good, Outstanding, other/ two 2016 Touring Fours w AD

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by ETP, Mar 27, 2016.

?

Can anyone edit a title of a thread

Poll closed Jul 7, 2016.
  1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Title edit still inop//Update .587490159 Touring w AD convenience package /SAPGS/bought a second Prius Four Touring in Pearl White w Gateway Cow interior/ auto stop in reverse /side sensors/Rear sensors=Fat people are detected but not skinny people or illegal aliens. Folks wearing aluminum foil are detected also/ Toyo Guard tows for a flat tire/FOB battery is a CR 1632

OK, I will edit this over the next few months with updates as I remember it. Pretty much loaded two Touring Fours, Premium convenience package option.

Good
    1. Body style
    2. Seats seem to be more comfortable but smaller.
    3. Gas lid release location
    4. Final price was lower than my 2012 when new
    5. Final price was 30740-11500 trade pus fees, taxes and tags=21330.35. 2012 trade allowance was not great but I had 64K on the car.
    Second trade was a better deal. 25788 out the door/traded a 2009 touring with 100K.
    6. All the Technology takes awhile to learn.
    7. What is the unique bumper application? Creases on rear bumper
    8. FOB battery is a CR 1632

Outstanding
    1. MPG / Probably 4-5 higher than my 2012 but too early to tell. Does better at heavy loads and higher speeds than my 2012. Also better in town. AC seems to not kill the MPG as bad but rain still dings the MPG. I drive like an old man with an egg under my right foot. If I don't experience road rage from someone everyday then I am not driving right/LOL. Huge 4X4s with just the driver weaving in and out of traffic pisses me off. MPG is staying high. Normal driving is 67-75 MPG around my area. Weight and rain are the biggest killers.
    Got 59-64 on my two 3's with local driving.

2. Under seat vents
    3. Ride is better at 42 PSI (42 is the answer to everything in the universe) with the Touring wide low profile tires than on my 2012 with regular tires
    4. Aluminum wheels with no plastic covers/however it does have silver plastic wedges between the spokes.
    5. Pedestrian warning system is under test/ may move this out of the outstanding category. Children mater.
    6. Radar cruise
    7. Collision avoidance system/ don't know how to check this safely/LOL
    8. Parking assist does not seem to work pulling into a slot
    9. Ride is quieter and smoother
    10. Tires are AA, 51 PSI, and 600 wear (Bridgestone). Salesman said they were run flat tires. NOT!
    11. Cross traffic monitor
    12. Lane assist/warning if you change lanes without a turn signal and it gives a slight positive steering nudge, and auto steer in the correct direction and a visual line on the dash display and audio alert. Uses stripes on the pavement to let you know you are out of your lane. OK, took my hand off the steering wheel to see what would happen. It started a B-52 air refueling swing behind a tanker. It would correct but not take out all the correction until it hit the other side road marker. So the swings got greater with each correction. What should happen is "correction, immediately take it out and then reverse 5-6%."
    So I was thinking what would happen if the driver croaked passed out etc. If his foot was fixed he would eventfully wind up off the road or maybe hit a obstacle. Relaxed coast to a stop. Full throttle would be a disaster. In addition you will get a warning if your hands are off the steering wheel for a set amount of time with no inputs.

13. Blind spot monitor
    14. The rear window bar does not seem to block the view
    15. 12 volt battery under the hood.
    16. Lithium drive batteries. 51 build is lithium. Check your door jam.
    17. My wife even says it is quieter. Very nice ride. Glad I took it for a test drive and the MPG is better than my 2012 and 2011 solar Four, so far. Did a test drive for MPG and my old work commute was 75.1 MPG
    18. Did a GPS check of the odometer and a 369 GPS trip registered 365.3 on the odometer. First fill up was close to odometer and MPG calculations. Too early to tell exactly.
    19. Fancy child seat attachments in the back. I guess I could get a huge cat and strap him in.
    20. Pulled into the garage and it warned me I was too close to the wall. Also backing up it warned me that the front and front sides were close. Also had the salesman stand behind the car as I backed up.:ROFLMAO: Still trying to figure out when the 4 side sensors (front and rear) actually work. Had my wife walk by them and no warning went off. Does not work when not moving.
    21. MIJ
    22. All the tested safety features are worth the price, are needed, and function as designed. How much is your life worth?
    23. Does not drag/scrape bottom front on the driveways like the 2009 and 2012 did.
    24. The Touring has a upgraded HD suspension in addition to the 17" tires. Quiet, firm, smooth, stable ride. No noise.

25. Salesman loaded my phone directory and calling is a smoother operation than on the 2012. Have no tried to connect two phones to see what happens. 2012 did not like that at all.
    26. Have IPA and self parking assist. Not fully automated and does not work for pulling into a slot.
    27. Feel a definite shifting of gears at 31-39mph
    28. Mine has more power going up the same hill than my Gen 3
    29. MPG continues to be incredible. Tires my be a factor in the equation as you may get higher MPG than me. Maybe!
    30.When a heavy load gets into the right seat the car does not dip like my Gen 3s
    31. Key FOB can be programed on Easy Street at the dealer to roll down all windows.
    32. The Simple Advanced Parking Guidance System automatically operates the steering wheel to provide support when backing into an area near a target parking spot, and when departing from a parallel parking spot. (Shift lever operations and speed adjustment when moving forward or backing up are not performed automatically)Back in only or parallel parking

other

1. Glove box size is too small. Put all the books in the memory for the dash display would help.
    2. No spare but can live with that as it has the 90% solution with the air pump and patch kit. Also will need to be towed if the tire is severely damaged.
    3-5.all issues resolved
    6. Magnetic compass is deigned backwards. Aircraft and GPS markers are on the direction you are heading, not the opposite side with an arrow pointing to the correct side. Extremely poor design. So you can select a 140 degree arch with the upper left corner direction button on the master GPS screen. You will loose your full compass on the upper dash and instead get a 140 degree limited visual display.
    7. Getting rain splash noise in some wet spots of one particular road in the left drivers rear wheel well. Can we spray these with something?
    8. No safety connect FOB tags on first vehicle/ Second vehicle had these.
    9. No spare tire/not sure if I want to bulk up my vehicle with a spare. TBD
    10. Dealer must hook up vehicle to Easy Street to program FOB to roll down windows. It would be nice if it would auto roll up with the FOB in case of rain.
    11. Pink tag frame sucks./fixed
    12. Dealer gave me two black tag frames.

unknown knowns
    1. Auto stop in reverse?????? Probably does not work?????Manual says yes for non flesh items if the ICS is turned on. Need an OPS check. Cruise control may effect this at certain speeds going forward???

Fat people are detected but not skinny people. Folks wearing aluminum foil are detected also.
    Overall I love the drive and feel of the Touring edition. I cannot compare it with the non Touring since I did not drive one. Bought it off the lot since they gave me a better deal than ordering a unit. Silver is not a bad or good color but I like it and the Gateway cow interior is awesome.
    The loaded Touring was the only unit on the lot with all the safety features which I have to have. 120 years old and still driving (weaving and bobbing).

PICS below include the two 2016 Four Touring's.

I am starting to think that Prius does not need additional warranties. Anyway quote below from Midwest.
    This warranty is 100 Percent Toyota Factory warranty from Toyota and honored by all Toyota Dealer service centers including California, Florida and all the USA and Canada
    I do NOT offer any 3rd party or aftermarket at all.
    Here is the Price List for your 2016 Prius
    T4-TOYOTA SIENNA VAN, AVALON, HYBRID AVALON, CAMRY HYBRID, HIGHLANDER HYBRID, PRIUS, SEQUOIA 2WD, TUNDRA 4x4, PRIUS V, PRIUS C, PLUG-IN PRIUS HYBRID,
    4 YEAR 100,000 MILES $1,120.00, 4 YEAR 125,000 MILES $1,250.00
    5 YEAR 60,000 MILES $975.00 5 YEAR 80,000 MILES $1,030.00,
    5 YEAR 100,000 MILES $1,215.00 5 YEAR 125,000 MILES $1,390.00
    6 YEAR 75,000 MILES $1,085.00,
    6 YEAR 100,000 MILES $1,385.00,
    6 YEARS 125,000 MILES $1,650.00
    7 YEARS 75,000 MILES $1,180.00,
    7 YEAR 100,000 MILES $1,540.00
    7 YEARS 125,000 MILES $1,775.00
    8 YEARS 75,000 MILES $1,300.00
    8 YEARS 100,000 MILES $1,655.00
    8 YEARS 125,000 MILES $2,070.00
    This warranty is directly from Toyota and any warranty work will need to be done at your Toyota dealer or any Toyota dealer in your state or any state in the USA or Canada
    IMG_0355.JPG IMG_0356.JPG

#1 ETP, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  2. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Best of luck with it but can't you buy a spare tire for it? I'd not be without one; it's a deal breaker for me if you can't get one. I was told by my dealer I could buy one for the Two Eco if I was so inclined. I certainly am so.

ETP and Okinawa like this.
  3. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    MSN.com - Hotmail, Outlook, Skype, Bing, Latest News, Photos & Videos

merged

Wonder If the 2011 would fit in a pinch?

fozzy likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @ETP I would take those tire pressure down a bit. Try 36. The low profile 17's are harsher, and still do decent mpg in that range, doesn't seem to make much if any diff.

There IS some plastic in those rims now. Oh well.

Thanks for the review. Similar to you, when we bought our 2010, we had another colour in mind, but bought a silver on the lot, love it. :)

fozzy and ETP like this.
  5. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice report, ETP.
    Did the finance man not go down the list of charges / options / prices with you before you signed the paperwork? That's crazy.

My carpet floor mats were $150 (Dealer supplied. Toyota cheap quality / thin.)

"Paint Protection" was offered at $1,200! I just laughed at that one. (He feigned shock that I actually detail my car myself.)

"Extended Warranty" was $1,500. I said NO before he even finished the spiel! (Buyers believe it begins when the factory warranty ends. Wrong. It starts as soon as you leave the office. So the "5 year extension" turns out to only be 2 extra years. An unknown shady warranty company.)

The bad:
    ~I got the noisiest tires / road noise / cabin noise in the world. (Toyo 15".) My Three model seems to have NO sound insulation.
    ~My driver's seat is flat, hard, non-supportive... and the height adjustment keeps slowly sinking back down. (I'm 6'-4", 250lbs. That might have something to do with it. :LOL:)
    ~Display indicates I got 62 mpg; But when calculated by hand, after fill-up, it comes out to 58. That's fine. Laughing all the way to the gas station.

dfine1966 and ETP like this.
  6. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Nope, did not go over the list. Constantly talking about other stuff while we were signing. I was late for an appointment and he knew it so it may have been by design since that is how they earn extra money.

Mine seems to be accurate but you would have to use special instrumentation to be certain. Every gas pump and fill up is different.
    My Bridgestone tires are quiet which surprised me.

I will look for the plastic this morning. Good smooth roads although yesterday I noticed some water splashing noise in the left/drivers/rear wheel well area on some wet patches on the road. Rained most of the trip on the interstate and never noticed it.

Updated master post.

Could throw the 2011 donut in the back for trips. Wonder how many are in the junk yard?

all merged

#6 ETP, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2016
    fozzy and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Regarding the navigation arrow on the screen, you are correct. I would prefer that the arrow be pointed "up" all the time. The map seems to be laying sideways on the screen.

Here's a picture from the dealer lot. 17" Touring wheel with Bridgestone tires. If I recall correctly, the silver areas are plastic inserts. It's a nice looking wheel. What is the factory recommended pressure for this tire? image.jpg

#7 Coast Cruiser, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    ETP likes this.
  8. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I'm still waiting on someone to pull off those plastic pieces and show us what it looks like on the car!

ETP likes this.
  9. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    32/33 but I cannot go that low. This leads to premature wear and worse MPG. I would not go lower than 36 and that is low for me unless you like a cushy ride. The tires are rated at 51PSI and at 51 PSI you will get sideways skipping on bumpy road. Been there and never ran 51PSI except as a short experiment. 38-42 is not a huge difference in MPG but you will get more tire wear the lower you go/consequently many folks complaining about fast tire wear with the EP20s (originals had 64K when I traded and had lots of tread left. 44-51 the pain outweighs the gain although some tires do well at 44.
    Should be thread somewhere on this as I remember it in 2009 and even earlier in the Honda forums.
    I would run them at what you like as it is personal choice for each person. 42 PSI is not unsafe IMHO and does not reflect the views of this TV station.

fozzy likes this.
  10. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Ceramic pieces, if you please ! :rolleyes:

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    PeterKG has come through:

Plastic part on 17" Touring wheel

fozzy, ETP and Blizzard_Persona like this.
  12. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Did a quick round trip to the VA clinic and 67 miles of mixed driving with an empty car and a full tank plus a fat old man in the drivers seat/no rain and no AC. 75.1 MPG.

Still not sure how to use parking assist. Wonder if a screen appears?

#12 ETP, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  13. Zojja

Zojja Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Did you press the parking assist button? I've yet to try it myself

ETP likes this.
  14. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    When you find a spot for parallel parking, you pull along side and press the parking assist button. It will tell you to pull forward until it senses a space. Then it will tell you to back up. Take your hands off the wheel and slowly back up. The car will turn the wheel for you. Then it will usually have you go forward and then back again sometimes to get it even. Easy.

ETP likes this.
  15. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Wow

Did notice more head room in the 2016 with no solar package. Also no heat radiating from the roof area. The seat seems smaller to me on the bottom.

I wanted the red but my wife said no. That red is the best color.

#15 ETP, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2016
    fozzy likes this.
  16. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ETP, did you correct your compass heading on the Navigation screen? The good folks in this forum told me about a button in the upper left corner of the Nav screen. It should correct that arrow so that it is always pointing up, the direction you are driving.

I am very pleasantly surprised at the amount of room the Prius front seats have. I'm very comfortable. The headroom and knee room is excellent, even for my tall big body. ("Shrek" driving a car!) My size 13 shoe has no problem fitting down there by the pedals. (The back seat however, seems smaller than previous Gens. No one would be able to sit behind me.)

#16 Coast Cruiser, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    fozzy and ETP like this.
  17. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Looks like a good bed. Think I will sell my house and live in the Prius.

I will check it today. It corrects the upper dash screen compass?

#17 ETP, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2016
    fozzy and krmcg like this.
  18. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Isn't the idea of a compass (not the nav arrow), to always point north ?

ETP likes this.
  19. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, for a real compass. However an aircraft navigational compass should always show the direction you are going.

You have me rethinking this! LOL / It is the arrow that has me pissed. Let me rethink this for two million years.

fozzy and bwilson4web like this.
  20. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm confused too, guys. The compass is fine, I think. I just want to correct the little Nav arrow, so that it's pointing up, in the direction I'm driving.

As it is now, when I'm going South, the map on the screen is turned sideways and the arrow is pointing East (or left.) Does that make sense? (I like the lady's voice who gives directions. :))

ETP, that silver is sharp looking. Nice color. The hardest color for me to see coming down the road, is the medium/dark grey cars, especially when they don't have any DRLs on; or it's dusk and they don't have their headlights on yet. The easiest cars to spot (for me) are white and red.

#20 Coast Cruiser, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    ETP likes this.