1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good Service in Orlando?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by OrlandoGuy, Jun 14, 2008.

1. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Went to the dealer for the 5K oil change, tire rotation, and what should have been a fix for my audio problem - Nothing went as it should have.

1 - The appointment was made for the audio problem - the right channels dropping out on SAT only. They scheduled the appointment for today. The only problem was that the 'team' that does accessories does not work today. So...I went there for nothing.

2 - Oil change. I brought M1 5-30 oil with me and said I wanted to use it for the change. The mechanic told me as he was taking me for a test drive to verify problem #1 - because he could not find the problem and I showed him the issue - he mentioned he saw I had the oil and used it because no one told him that...I asked "where is the unused oil?" and he said it takes all 4 quarts. We check the dip stick and, sure enough, it was over filled. He said it was OK and not a problem. I asked him to take out the excess oil to bring it down to the full dimple. I asked the service advisor about this and he said "when they do an oil change, it reads high until the oil has time to drain all the way down" My thinking is..and please someone correct me if I am wrong here...that the dipstick goes down to the bottom of the engine into the oil pan - at the bottom of the engine - and measures the oil sitting all the way at the bottom - and if the oil did not drain all the way down 1- the stick would read low and 2- you have a problem with too thick an oil - think globs of grease - or obstructions blocking the oil from getting down into the pan.

3 - tire rotation - they never checked the tire pressure to make the fronts higher than the backs...so when I checked, my backs were 42 and fronts at 40.

Anyway they have 3 strikes...I have to go back for the audio problem next Saturday when the accessory team works to get that problem fixed but I now have very little faith in the quality of this dealer's service. They were all very nice and polite. They took me right at my appointment time, 7am, and the waiting area was clean, cheerful, and freshly stocked with coffee and donuts. But where it counted, the actual high quality mechanical work I expected, they missed the mark.

Does anyone have good experience with a dealer or other service outlet in the Orlando area?

Thanks

2. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    what dealer was that? I bought my 08 from Central Florida Toyota. The internet sales folks (led by Courtney) were great, but I'll get service in Tampa.

3. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't want to name names here, but from your message, I know you know where this was.

I had such high hopes for them...according to their web site ...largest dealer in central florida...12 consecutive years of winning the president's award, in Time magazine for accomplishments.

Only to provide what I see has unacceptable actual service by the technician and the to have that service advisor back up the technician with what sounded like so much a company line. I half expected the advisor to then tell me there was a recommendation to change the air in the tires to summer air as the winter air in the tires will not work in the months ahead.

And ...since then I did go back to the manual which says the Prius takes 3.9 quarts US with an oil filter change and a warning to not overfill the oil or engine damage may be caused.

4. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, OrlandoGuy,

You can't have it both ways, praise the good guys and not (rightfully) blast the bad guys. :evil:

Also, by not letting us know who to stay away from (and why), will not help us fellow hybrid'ers.

BTW, although I live in Virginia, I travel to Orlando 1 - 2 times a year to visit w/ my parents. During my pilgrimages, quite often I have maintenance performed in Sanford.

5. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well, You did say you got yours from Central Florida Toyota....so I know you know where that is.

6. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ok - An update on my last service.

I called the service manager about these issues and this is what he said:

1) There was a mix up making the appointment and he was sorry for that.
    2) The tech should not have overfilled the oil but that an extra 1/4 quart will not hurt anything.
    3) The tire pressure should have been checked.
    4) The service advisor was wrong about things getting better when the oil drains down.
    5) He will talk to the tech and advisor.

I received a call from the advisor to say he was sorry about the mixup and that he didn't really understand how the dip stick reads oil levels until now. Now he is crystal clear about it.

So they did follow up and hopefully my next encounter with them will be better.

7. pviebey

pviebey New Member

Hope you're having fun. Haven't decoded who you mean, but I've had good luck with Courtesy Toyota (on 436), with 2 Priusss (what IS the plural?). Could be because my wife brought them donuts...

I can say they scraped the side of the car with the lift, and I didn't do my usual walk-around on picking it up, so I didn't notice it later. Took it back the next day, and they made no fuss about fixing it (which surprised me).

My advice: There are good service advisors, and not so good. Find a good one, be nice to him, and hope he stays there... It all begins/ends there, IMHO.

pat

8. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think you're on the right track here. Get the service manager involved and make the service work correctly. There will be MANY folks who will benefit from your actions here. Now they have to follow-up by getting it right next time. I'd say you should give them another chance, make sure they remember what you expect and hopefully you'll have good experiences from here on out.

9. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We will see on Saturday when the Sirius repair should be completed properly. But, I guess everyone deserves a second chance and they did make an effort to reach out and say they made the mistake.

I am sure the quality survey that gets sent out by Penske does not hurt as they want high marks.

10. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    not everybody, but in this case yes. Let us know how this turns out.

11. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Your wife has the right idea.... Feed the techs and they will bend over backwards and do the twist for you......

12. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    and somewhere around here is a thread where we decided that the Plural of Prius is "Prii"

My household ha two Prii also. my red one and her blue one! Mine was purchased at David Maus Toyota and her's at Courtesy. If we had gone to Coutesy first they both would have been bought there and NONE at Maus. *there's a hint there*