1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good source for salvaged body parts in Puget Sound area?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bigmamou, Feb 14, 2012.

1. bigmamou

bigmamou Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 that I would like to replace the front bumper cover (smashed corner) and rear bumper cover (lots of scratches) with clean Driftwood Pearl salvaged replacements. I think the factory paint is generally better than new replacements with new paint Any leads or recommendations?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You have maybe a 1% chance of finding a paint-matching front. Most total-loss junkyard vehicles are front-end collisions. Those that aren't have the front end pieces sell quickly to rebuilders. What do you mean by "smashed"? If it is just caved in, you can often times get in from behind and pop it back out. The plastic will still have some deformation, but at least it won't look like hell.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    check your local body shop. they have lines to salvage parts. now whether you can buy from them i do not know. i do know you will not get the good price the body shop gets but when i had a repairs done on mine, the body shop actually referenced 3 different regional salvage yards to get the parts. one was in Spanaway. now i ended getting the parts i needed from place in Idaho.

4. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is the best search link I have found for parts for ANY car.
    http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi
    I entered your zip code and found a front bumper cover for a bit over $100, 27 miles away at Tacoma...I did not search for a rear one....good luck gang. This was the search I tried to get 3 good 15s at one place and one more at another...with TPMS on them for my winter tires.

5. bigmamou

bigmamou Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "My 2011 Nissan Leaf this week; 172.6 miles; LT; 12,939.0 miles @2.76 CPM. (2.53 MTD) fuel cost; weekly $6.37 Lifetime $345.99

If my Prius was a Leaf; last fillup would have been $11.53instead of $35.00"

If your Prius was a Leaf you would have spent 42 hours charging it at home while I drove 600 miles on a fillup in 10 hours at freeway speeds. Comparing these 2 vehicles while leaving out the "apples and oranges" details makes for a rather unfair comparison IMHO. Now, I like the Leaf but it won't keep up with a Prius if one needs to get somewhere over a 100 miles away (and back) in an appropriate (and reasonable) amount of time?

6. bigmamou

bigmamou Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An Update - I turned up 5 front bumper wraps around the country in the original color of my car........even with shipping one could be had for $200. I'm thinking perhaps the rebuilders aren't sucking up parts like they once were? By "smashed" I mean "smashed", not just caved in.....even if it could be popped out it will still be cracked all over, have lost paint and look like hell. I've decided to go with an OEM (whatever that means in reality) for $100 shipped and have a local body shop paint it and install it.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    there are several ways to compare the two vehicles and i chose one way, the actual cost of the "fuel" it takes. obviously if i had a need to drive 600 miles in 10 hours (guessing i would have to drive 70 mph to average that so couldnt do it since i dont go faster than 65 mph UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES unless i am coasting downhill... )

speaking of long trips. the Prius went to Salem for the weekend and i stayed home with the Leaf. now am i restricted to what i can do because i dont have an "out of town" option? well no, not really. i did go out of town to Tacoma, but that is only 25 miles plus i grabbed a charge while i was there.

mind you, part of the great disparity in cost on a per mile basis is the amount of free charging options i have. now, i suppose you will penalize me for that as well?? or would you rather just take the "free one?" in a BOGO offer.

either way, if you think i am trying to point out how much better an option the Leaf is...well then you would be right. problem with this world is my having to point it out. its too bad we just cant figure it out on our own.

now, am i advocating getting rid of the Prius and going only with a Leaf?? well, if that is case, why do i still have the Prius?

answer to that is easy; its still the best option at the best price to cover my needs.

P.S. i try to build up the Prius as much as possible which is why i left out maintenance costs which is much more lop sided than the per mile transportation cost imbalance

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I hope you are getting a good one. Good luck.