1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good video on what blown head gasket look like and why frequent coolant changes are necessary

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Georgina Rudkus, Jul 14, 2024 at 10:08 AM.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a good video on what the components of a disassembled CT200h (basically a Gen 3 equivalent) blown head gasket looks like.

It is the second car noted in this video.

Go to 6.44 minutes or half way into the video.

The video clearly notes that the "rubber" coating on the head gasket is eroded and gone.

The recommended interval of 100k or 10 years sing Toyota SLL coolant before changing the coolant is too long.
    Acidic or degraded coolant will likely cause degrading of the gasket's coating.

That's why I have gone back to three year coolant changes from year ago..

StarCaller likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's interesting now I've got to go pull my gasket not off the car one out here and the thing I didn't think there was any rubber on my head gasket I thought it was three or five plates of gasket steel or metal whatever it is it's metal I don't know what kind of metal and don't care but I didn't see any rubber I wish it had some rubber like the old fell pro blue PT permanent torque head gasket that we all used to use on other Toyotas to TC 1600s and all that sort of thing I think they still make that gasket The PT gasket for the 2ZZ is not that material it's this layered metal I'm walking out to go pick my fill pro PT gasket up I have it sitting right in the trunk for a generation two It's a generation 3 head gasket but it's sitting in the trunk of a generation two brand new in the box I've opened it and looked at it and was going to use it and then we decided against fixing this nonsense but that is interesting I can see where alkalinity and acidity and what not in water can certainly eat up stuff I work on swimming pools and I can tell you that out of balance pH and water can ruin your concrete ruin your pool Tara vinyl liners fade everything and generally turn everything into not very good looking especially and then things start to break down cracks water leaks It's a disaster so if you're using water to do anything with and it's contained like cooling heating things like that and it runs through various different items concrete metal rubber You probably want to make sure that your pH and your acidity and alkalinity are probably in check and they make stuff to do this but a coolant change only takes a minute and so you know you can just dump and drop new cooling every 2 3 years and it was at $25 if that really works out that would be really cool I know it hasn't some GM stuff that's how they got to the GM orange coolant and all this and that back in the day but again even that stuff if it sits too long it can become caustic and nasty I imagine like any other combinations of liquids and various material.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this has been mentioned before, i wonder why toyota doesn't recognize it?
    you can check the acidity i believe, i wonder if everyones degrades the same, or if certain conditions cause it to degrade more slowly