1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Goodby DC-10

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tleonhar, Jan 5, 2007.

1. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This Sunday (Jan 7th) Northwest Airlines flight 98 from HNL to MSP will be a milestone. It will be the last regular scheduled flight by a major US carrier to use a McDonnell Douglas DC-10. To be sure there are still plenty of DC-10's still in service, but their use is for cargo, charter, and smaller carriers, oh yea the military has a number of them for tankers (KC-10 I believe). American of course has a number of their successors, the MD-11, basically a DC-10 with glass cockpit and winglets.

Here is a video tribute to the old DC-10...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZIPQ8RlITQ

Northwest by the way has replaced the DC-10's with Airbus A330's and Boeing 757-300's and starting in 2008, they will be the US launch carrier for the 787 Dreamliner.

In this day and age when nearly everyone flys or at least has flown, and a few pilots here on PC, does anyone have any DC-10 stories? My most memoriable is a flight my wife and I were on from LAX - MSP. Normally this is about a 3 1/2 hour flight. This time though, the pilot tells us we have a bit of a tailwind, the bit was like 300knots! Well, on that plane, there was a display in the front of the cabin that displayed our actual ground speed, I looked up at one point, our ground speed was 885MPH (300KT + 500+airspeed)! We got to MSP in about 2 hours, or by the clock, the same time we left LAX.

2. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a DC-10 story - we were on our way to Seattle for a camping trip, flying United Air Lines out of Denver. We had an engine malfunction & had to dump fuel over the Rockies (nice ecological touch) & return to Denver. At the time you could listen to the pilot talking to the tower on the built-in sound system that carried movie & entertainment audio. We knew we had turned around because my son had his compass for the camping trip & was using it to check our direction. Also he was listening to the pilots conversation & there was a lot of discussion before the passengers were informed. They announced that everything was fine, but when we landed they had a LOT of fire equipment lined up on both sides of the runway & the conversation with the tower (before they finally decided to cut it off) was not the same story they were telling the passengers. They had been discussing the fact that we were losing altitude so fast that we could be below Denver before we got there! :eek: Although I liked the DC-10 for comfort, it didn't have the best reputation for safety. I think it was a DC-10 that lost (literally) an engine on take-off from O'Hare & crashed. Our incident was in 1974, I think - I remember watching Nixon's resignation speech in the airport at Denver while waiting for our connection.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Jan 5 2007, 06:12 PM) [snapback]371599[/snapback]</div>
    American Airlines retired the last of its MD-11 aircraft by 2002, only two years after taking the DC-10 out of service. The MD-11 place in the AA fleet was taken over by the Boeing 777.

That is impossible unless you have a time travel machine. If the flight took two hours, the local time at MSP at upon your arrival was four hours later than the local time at LAX at the time of your departure. That is because at the time that you left LAX the local time at MSP was already two hour later than the local time at LAX at that same moment because MSP is at GMT-6 and LAX is at GMT-8. Now, if you were traveling in the opposite direction your story would be plausible.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grandma Judy @ Jan 5 2007, 06:27 PM) [snapback]371607[/snapback]</div>
    The DC-10 had one of the sorriest safety records in aviation history.

Fatal McDonnell Douglas DC10 Events

Aviation Safety Network - DC-10 Statistics

4. ctmurray

ctmurray Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grandma Judy @ Jan 5 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]371607[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe it is not fair to blame the DC-10, but Northwest turned them into very uncomfortable beasts. Last year I flew to Europe on a NWA DC10 and back on an Airbus. The Airbus had much more storage room and so on the DC 10 anyone boarding after the plane was half full was completely out of luck finding storage for bags. I am glad NWA is retiring these planes.

5. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jan 6 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]371744[/snapback]</div>
    OOPS! :rolleyes: Someday I gotta learn to proofread. We actually got in 2 hours early due to the speed and shorter than normal block times (times from pushback to takeoff and landing to gate). There were jokes on board that if this were any faster, we'd be here the same time we left.

I didn't realize this, I thought AA was still flying MD-11's, these are actually not that old.

Got to agree with you here, they left a lot to be desired for comfort, and while I've never had the, um, pleasure, I've heard some of the charter 10's are actually worse. Allthough to be fair, if your lucky enough to get first class, they're not too bad.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Jan 6 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]371911[/snapback]</div>
    The MD-11 did not deliver the performance guarantees (namely, range and fuel burn rate) made by McDonnell Douglas.

7. ctmurray

ctmurray Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Jan 6 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]371911[/snapback]</div>
    Today's local paper covered this as well. Apparently the pilots found them comfortable and with a good view out the windows. The coverage of passengers indicated that they liked the 2 x 5 x 2 seating (two aisles with 5 seats in the center) - apparently having 2 aisles vs one. I found flying in the middle seat of 5 to be bad. To get out to a bathroom you had go over 2 people in either direction. At least in a standard plane if you were on a window seat and had two people on one side, the other side had no people and something to rest your head upon.

Every once in a while I get bumped up to business and one time first class. Now if all the seats on the plane were like those ......

8. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cam @ Jan 7 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]372103[/snapback]</div>
    Take a look at American Airlines 777 FlagShip Suite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Jan 5 2007, 09:12 PM) [snapback]371599[/snapback]</div>
    I flew out of Chicago O'Hare on a DC-10 right after they were un-grounded. As we banked on the climb-out, I could see the big black scorch mark where the grass had been burned from the crash that caused them to be grounded in the first place. :blink:

Tom

10. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Jan 8 2007, 04:41 PM) [snapback]372688[/snapback]</div>
    Cool, thanks for posting these. I forwarded them on to a friend who was the ground ops chief at Seatac for NWA before he retired in 1992.

The DC-10 was a fantastic aircraft. Pilots loved it. I flew SEA-KIX a few times and always had a good trip. Even bumpy weather was OK on the 10, it was a very stable aircraft. MUCH better than those A330 pieces of junk. I'll never fly those. I fly United 777's now to Japan from Seattle. Now THERE is a great aircraft if there ever was one.

Dave

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Jan 8 2007, 05:04 PM) [snapback]372706[/snapback]</div>
    As I'm fond of saying, "If it's not a Boeing, I'm not going."

13. exhuman

exhuman Member

Back in 1978-1981 I worked for McDonnell Douglas at the big plant in Long Beach. To encourage employees to help advertize the DC-10 they had special bumper stickers. My suitcase was easy to identify at the baggage carousel with its big sticker saying:

DC-10
    I Fly What I Build

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The day Boeing gobbled up McDonnell Douglas was a sad day in aviation history; on that day the competition between the two great U.S. airliner manufacturers came to an end.

I used to have this old map, from the 1950's, which showed were the stars lived in Hollywood...

...on it was also listed the residence of Donald Douglas Sr.

-------------------

"Your first trip aboard a new Boeing jet airliner -- a 'pure' jet -- will be one of the highlights of your life. The front of the cabin is absolutely quiet; the rear has the hushed ambiance of an exclusive club.

You'll cruise through high, weatherless skies, and feel so little vibration that you'll be able to balance a coin on its edge. The flower you bought when you departed will be fresh when you arrive, for the 707 will carry you across a continent or an ocean in half the time required by a conventional airliner...

Travel in the new 707, you'll find, is fast and quiet. And secure. The 707 is the most thoroughly flight-tested aircraft ever to fly, and is built by Boeing, the company with more multi-jet experience than any other in the world."

---------------------------

Heady days, indeed...for ad copywriters, as well as airliner manufacturers.

15. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Jan 8 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]372706[/snapback]</div>
    Did that SEA-KIX route a few times myself. The 10's were great in the front, but that 2-5-2 seating in coach was the pits! ISR. pointed out that the 10 had a less than stellar safety record, but none of the NWA ones ever augered into the ground.

I've never ridden in an A330 either, allthough I have been in an A340 once (same airframe basically), and found it to be quite comfortable. My neighbour is a FA for Northwest and does the DTW-AMS route in 330's frequently, according to him, they are very well liked by the passengers. I also spent more time than I care to think about in A319's & 320's, they are generally comfortable, better than a DC9 but can't compare to a 757. Did a trip once in a Korean trip 7 on a MNL-SEL route, super ride, even tho I was in coach. I'm really waiting for NWA to start getting the Dreamliners (787), that will be a 2 aisle plane roughly the same size as the A330. I've seen the interior mockups and had a chance to try out the seats, they are going to be awesome!

Visiting my wife's niece and he husband in Hunnington Beach right after Boeing bought MD. We drove past the MD plant in Long Beach. Impressive place, but made me wonder at the time how many people were going to loose their jobs there.

Too Cool Pinto! :)

I gather this is a Boeing add from the late fifties, probably one of the greatest planes ever made, next to the 747 of course.

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Jan 8 2007, 08:46 PM) [snapback]372817[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I paraphrased from memory, though.

The 747 was indeed a better airplane, but the 707 was...well, the 707...

I'm way off topic now, but if y'all don't mind, here are a few interesting airliner images. Check out that last one, a digital composition of a proposed Boeing 'flying wing' airliner. Please don't mention where you saw it...

[attachmentid=6195]

[attachmentid=6196]

[attachmentid=6197]

[attachmentid=6200]

[attachmentid=6199]

Attached Files: