1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Goodbye 2006 Prius....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Nda3rdCar, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

Hello everyone... I haven't contributed to this forum for a long time, having to request a password to write this one last entry.

Our Black 2006 Prius has finally been traded in.... after 123,000+ miles, 10.5 years. Really, the most dependable, economical, adaptable and hauls like a pickup-able car we've ever owned. It left us with paint gone bad on the plastic spoiler, paint pits on the hood, roughened windshield, dents, scratches, door dings, a little crack on the dash... but such is the life of a daily working car. It even has the 2" Hitch from Coastal Electronics (that I mounted myself)... used for a 2 bicycle rear rack.

The car was traded in at a dealership.... with a recently purchased set of Cooper tires (good tires, not too expensive) and a refurbished HV battery that was only about 2 weeks old... (Hybrid Car Repair, a long story, but that company saved me a lot of money from buying a brand new HV battery ... Look them up if you've been diagnosed at a dealership. Ok, it cost me $143 for dealer diagnosis... no biggie, but they quoted nearly $4,000 for new HV Battery replacement... nothing against them (really, myToyota dealer was great)... that's the cost and they were very nice about breaking the news... but checking all over the web for alternatives, I took a chance on Battery4Prius. It was a great experience, cost so much less and it was repaired in my driveway... in about 1 hour. It runs perfectly now.)

The 2006 Prius 2 was a fantastic car... it just had gotten to that point... 10.5 years, repair/replacement costs adding up.... it was time. Gonna miss that car. So thanks everyone on this forum! This has been a great resource for information on the Prius and I hope my few contributions have helped others.

Also... if any of you are trying to replace the battery in the 2004-2009 key fob, I have a quiet little 4 minute YouTube at
    or you can just Google up "Prius Key Battery Replacement". It's a no-commericals video, no voice over, no graphics, that has over 390,000 views and lots of great comments/suggestions from viewers about particular issues of changing that smart-key battery. Please check it out.

So long and thanks everyone! Drive Safe... Enjoy the Drive!

-Nda3rdCar

2. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So tell us about your new wheels!

'LectroFuel likes this.
  3. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What's your new car?

4. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I hope you didn't just put all that money into it and then trading it in as from what I heard, doing mods, replacing parts does you no good when trading in a car as it adds no vaule to the car. Many dealers would take the car just as is as alot of them that take cars that 10+ years old are going to end up actioning off the car rather than selling it for profit.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also have a 2006 Prius with 250,000 miles. It has a new engine short-block installed a few years back and a new HV battery installed just last month. I do plan to keep it for a long time to come. My previous car, 1992 Corolla, had almost 470,000 miles when it was sold in 2006.

#4 johnjohnchu, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    'LectroFuel likes this.