1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Goodbye my sweet '05. Hello my new '12.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hsnyder, Jun 17, 2012.

1. hsnyder

hsnyder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, it's bittersweet, but my tried and true '05 was taken out by an Oak Tree shortly after a storm a couple weeks ago while parked in my drive.

It was an amazing car, right to the bitter end, supporting the full weight of that Oak without collapsing the roof arch (arborist estimated at least a couple of tons ... kudos to those amazing Toyota engineers and assembly line workers!).

It was our 2nd Prius (the '04 is still humming, approaching 200k miles, and all it's asked us for is oil, a little gas, new tires/filters every now and then and a new 12V battery, running as good as the day we got it) and my primary driver.

Besides whisking me to work and back each day, it comfortably transported us on some amazing journeys. Its last, a trek from our home in Annapolis, MD into the Boundary Waters Wilderness in Minnesota to dogsled for a week along the Canadian border in January, was one of its toughest, requiring only chains to get us up and over some gnarly snow-covered Forest Service roads. But get us there it did, and after a week, sitting motionless and unattended in subzero conditions, buried in snow, fired up with nary a flinch on our return and got us home (swallowing, BTW, all our gear and even a partially disassembled 8 foot sled!).

I also used it on weekends to transport dogs up and down the east coast for a rescue I work with. It just seemed there wasn't anything it couldn't do. To say it was a joy would be an understatement.

Herewith, some of the more memorable moments it provided:

[​IMG]
    (Trips to the Dog Park every day.)

[​IMG]
    (A comfortable ride.)

[​IMG]
    (A nice view.)

[​IMG](Comfy canine accomodations.)

[​IMG]
    (Lots and lots of Road Trips!)

[​IMG]
    (Safety and warmth.)

[​IMG]
    (Pride.)

What could possibly compare?

Well, we're hoping this will.

uart likes this.
  2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the shot of the dogs in the back. We take our three everywhere, and my wife uses hers to drive rescue dogs all over creation. It looks like hell as a result but it has stayed together pretty well. I hope you like the v!

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great story! :)

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good story. Sorry about your 05's ending. What do you feel about the 2012! Think you will like it? H

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Great post Howard. Nice pics too. :)

6. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nice Story - Thanks For Sharing.

7. hsnyder

hsnyder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, gang.

brick: Yeah, as if we weren't hard enough on it, the dogs really "made it their own." Any little plastic protuberance in the back pretty much became a chew toy. My first, whilst I popped into a convenience store for a bottle of water, chewed up the right top corner of the driver's seat on our way home from picking him up from the shelter (Separation anxiety I suppose. He'd been given up 3 times and wasn't a year old. Nothing a t-shirt pulled over the seat back couldn't fix.)

HaroldW: Love it so far. Might get slightly less MPG than the '05, but shooting for better overall with, perhaps, a lighter foot than I used on the '05. Certainly seems, from what I've read, this is possible. Swallows more stuff and is roomier in the passenger area. Much stiffer ride, but I think I like that. Also like that visibility is slightly better, seat height & window-wise. And it's easier to get in and out of. Could care less for all the bells and whistles, but the 17in tires, LED lights and leather-like seats are nice on the "5" (biggest for me was the seats ... easier to clean up dog hair, etc than the fabric).

I'll tell you, though, another contributing factor for choosing the "v" was how much like the G2 it was in ergonomics. Not a fan of the console arch and higher dashboard on the G3. The "v" is a lot more like the G2, ergonomically, than the G3. Fells like "home."

8. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The v will be great for travel and your pets. Can't think of a better choice!:) H

9. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to see pictures of the prius with the tree on it to see if it would make a good guinea pig candidate for a convertible prius conversion

10. hsnyder

hsnyder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Click "taken out by an Oak Tree" in the OP. I've added more pics of the car free of the tree. Was pretty much invisible while beneath it. Would love to think it might have a 2nd life as a convertible.

11. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. When the insurance company totaled it they really didn't have to think hard. I envisioned a limb and some serious damage in one location, not end-to-end destruction. On the bright side it looks like you could add this to the list of accidents that you could, in theory, walk away from if you had happened to be sitting inside.

12. hsnyder

hsnyder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Was actually about to head out the door to pick up daughter from a sleep-over. Saw it come down and it literally made me sick. Suspension was bottomed out but that roof held (and, unbelievable, but all the glass too save the window beneath the spoiler). Counting my blessings. Really loved that car.