1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

goodyear assurance comfortred- what psi?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Blegate, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Blegate

Blegate Prius Gen III 2013

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi- Finally gave up on the Power Star 758 KUMHO tires after 15K. If you are considering this tire for the Prius don't bother. I know they are inexpensive but you pay a price long-term. I tried every trick to improve mpg, including getting a scanguage, and no-go. America's Tire was nice enough to give me back $208 since they recommended this tire to me in the first place. I could never achieve the same mpg I was getting with the stock tires, so I went with Goodyear Assurance Comfortred. I did this based on a lot of reviews on this site + consumer reports.

I see this is a 44max psi tire. What are other owners who have this tire running the front & back at to improve mpg/wear? I've only driven about 35 miles so far and it seems better... with the Kumho's I felt like I was dragging something around especially when doing city driving- hard to explain.

Let me know if you are running the Assurance Comfortred above the standard psi rating.

thanks,
    brian

2. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think anyone will recommend running higher tire pressure than the rating on the tire. That being said, I currently have the stock Integrity tires and run 50/48 psi. I am averaging around 50-54 mpg with temperatures above 50. Good Luck.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    If you want good MPG, get a tire that has a known Low Rolling Resistance (LRR). My Nokian WR tires (now get the WRg2) have improved my MPG by 4% (about 2 MPG) averaged over 12 months (29k miles) vs the OE Goodyear Integrity tires that came with my 2004 Prius. They also track well (no highway instability), have great traction in ALL weather conditions, and have a 51 psi MAX pressure rating (185/65HR15). The only drawbacks are expense (>$100 per tire - 50,000 mile treadwear) and a little road noise (the WRg2 should be quieter).

JeffD

4. Blegate

Blegate Prius Gen III 2013

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey thanks for the responses. I very familiar with OEM tires as I got 35K from mine using the 44/42 trick, etc.

With regards to the Nokian I'm glad they work for you but no way will I switch.

I'm interested in hearing from other owners who have purchased the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred to determine if increasing psi has done anything for them with regards to mpg.

BTW, This post isn't about my tire versus your tire. There are too many posts on this site about that. Just want info relevant to the GY Assurance.
    Thanks!
    brian