1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tire question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by IABoy, Feb 6, 2011.

1. IABoy

IABoy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have posted this previously on another thread and got some great replies, but here I am back again.:)

After the third or fourth fillup we are finding the MPG is just a little under/over 30. :eek: The originals gave 45-50, sometimes 55.

I checked the pressure they are all 32 to 34 PSI and air temperature is 30*F. I know pressure drops and rises with ambient temperature. I also read the article that says diameters will be different between old and new set and expect 1% change which for me might be 1MPG, not nearly drop by half. :eek:

Heck my old 1998 GM van is doing better than prius.:D

What is the recommended pressure for fuel max front and back (I think there is a 2 pound difference). Sidewall says 51 PSI max and I certainly would never go that high.

Should I junk these for something else? Everything I read seems to sing praises of this tire. Maybe just go back to Toyota and have them install original equipment tires:(

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New tires reduce MPGs for a while. After a couple months my Fuel Maxes are better than the OEMs.

It's safe to inflate tires up to the maximum shown on the sidewall. Mine are at 44/42 front/rear. This would allow a noticeable improvement over 32-34.

If you bought new-used and this is your first winter in the car, that's about 2/3rds of the answer.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No change with mine. What size tire did you install ? 185/65 r15? By any chance did you go with a 195/60 r15 tire? You are running very low air pressure as well. Hal

1 person likes this.
  4. IABoy

IABoy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Fuel Max are same size as originals. I will inflate them tommorrow to 44 front, 42 rear and see how the MPG works out.

5. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That will help! Hal