1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred... Opinions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by biff_debris, Feb 19, 2006.

1. biff_debris

biff_debris WOOF!

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    all!

The original tires on Herb are beginning to show their age. Although they still seem to grip well, the tread is getting to be pretty skimpy, except for the three slots that circumscribe the tire.

To push me even closer to getting some new ones, I discovered that I had a flat when I got to work the other day. The amazing thing is that I seem to have driven all the way to work (18 miles on hilly, curvy country two-lane blacktop) on the flat and didn't even notice! :eek: I'm guessing that this was the case by the wear on the sidewalls and the odd tire track mark in my dirt driveway.

Anyway, I've noticed that, to tire enthusiasts, the Goodyear Integrity gets consistently low ratings and that the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred gets top marks.

Has anyone tried the TripleTred? We get our share of snow and ice around here, but not enough to justify full-blown winter tires. I'm pretty sure that they have a greater rolling resistance than the Integrity, but mileage isn't everything, and just how bad could it be, anyway?

So, I'm just looking for some opinions or any real experience with the TripleTreds.

2. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've been using them all winter and they handle very well in any type of weather that I've encountered here. I don't slide around unless I'm on sheer ice. The tires grip the road firmly and the handling is great. They also handle really well in very rainy conditions. I won't know until summer whether or not the mileage suffers because I got them just before it got really cold. I'm very glad that I got them so far.

3. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Goodyear doesn't make TripleTred tires in the standard OEM size for the Prius. I got the ComforTreds which do come in our size and I'm very pleased with their ride and grip. I don't drive in snow, however, as I live in the S.F. Bay Area.

4. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The research I did prior to purchasing my Prius resulted in my decision to purchase and mounting the Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds instead of the OEM tires.

Ironically, about 3 weeks prior to taking delivery of the Prius my other car had a flat tire. Upon looking at them it was clear I needed to replace them all. I did so with the Comfortreds sized for my Saab. The very next day we had a blinding snow storm but had purchased tickets to a Christmas concert in Milwaukee. We were amazed at the handling through that snow. I have never had such a good experience driving through snow. I have, for years, commuted that same distance via the freeway. So, you can imagine that it was a slam dunk decision to get the Comfortreds for the Prius. We haven't been sorry we did.

I have no ties to Goodyear. Just a commentary based on our experiences.

Cheers

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That's true but the only thing that is even remotely visually noticable is that the TripleTred is about a quarter inch wider.

6. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

7. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how can you tell how much your tires wear down? I might want to get new tires (700 in the bank atm)

8. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Assurance tripltred are awesome! Quiet, handle great and the ride is greatly improved.