1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Goodyear Integrity tires-- only ~20,000 miles on two different sets!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gawilson, May 18, 2007.

1. gawilson

gawilson New Member

The original tires were worn unevenly to the point that I had to replace them. The dealer aligned the vehicle (the tires had worn on the edges--all 4 of them) and put the same OEM Integrity tires back on the my 2005 Prius. Now those replacement tires are almost gone with the same wear pattern. I find it very, very hard to believe that it's an alignment problem here. Again, they're worn in the middle in the same pattern even though I increased the air pressure with this set to 42/40 (I'd used Toyota's suggested mileage with the first set)---the higher pressure should have worn the middle first if anything!
    I'm disgusted with this performance. I should also mention that my mileage dropped about 5-6 mpg's after replacing the old tires and never did recover under the same weather conditions and time of year. I'm considering going with a low rolling resistance tire, maybe the Michelin (they're great on my 4-runner--over 80,000 on one set) if i can count on traction in wet weather. I've also been told that the LRR tires wear a bit quicker but with the price of gasoline, I think it's possible that it may be worth the wear.
    Appreciate any suggestions you may have.
    greg

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have the Goodyear ComforTreds (based on comments on this site), but several owners like the Michelin.

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Sup Grey! I'm thinking about the Michelin's myself. I've had them on other vehicles, and have been very happy with the brand of tire. I think they are substantially quieter than the OEM tires.

I really forget the exact tire now, i think it is MXV4 that is the michelin that is comperable to the originals that come on the Prius.

4. gawilson

gawilson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 18 2007, 10:37 PM) [snapback]445487[/snapback]</div>
    thanks to both of you---those were my first 2 choices but i've heard about a bridgestone tire that's pretty good too and quite a bit cheaper (that seems to be the only knock i've heard on the michelin but i've learned that many times you get what you pay for).
    i've also checked out the rolling friction values for each and they're not that low which is probably a good thing overall. i remember reading that the extremely low values at one point in time led to poor traction. however, i think new materials have somewhat made that concern less important.
    again, thanks for your opinions.
    greg
    PS> did you guys see "Bullshit" on Showtime? they really made the Prius look bad and i totally disagree with them on most of their points. i know it's entertainment and i appreciate penn and teller for the skeptical views but they're getting a little too self-absorbed and "preachy" plus anyone who takes an opposing view to theirs is portrayed very, very badly. one never gets across one's side of an argument by attacking one's opponent personally. This segment was truly to advance nuclear power and the science was truly left out much the way the worker's views of Walmart was left out in a previous show.

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(graysfizix @ May 18 2007, 06:34 PM) [snapback]445441[/snapback]</div>
    Do you drive it hard? Or slam it around corners, anything like that? If not, I would definitely consider having the alignment checked by another dealer.

I have the original Integrity's on my 2006 Prius with 32,000 miles, and I've never rotated them. I was starting to look for new tires based on the bad reputation of the Integrity's here on PC. I was even pricing the Michelin Pilot A/S tires some have liked here, and then decided to actually look at the tires. I think I have another 8 - 10,000 miles on them.

If you don't have another Toyota dealer near you, ask around for a good body shop or tire place that can check the alignment. Something else is going on. Its one thing to burn through a set of the cheap OEM tires, but you don't want to do that with a set you pay $400 for!

6. gawilson

gawilson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 19 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]445695[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe not rotating is the key---i've rotated mine, both sets, at 5000 without fail. Both sets wore this way so...i don't know. maybe i will try a different dealer. at least between two sets, i've got some decent value! oh, don't really drive it that hard but i do put a lot of highway miles on the vehicle and it's been from Va to the Keys once already.
    greg

7. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have mine inflated to 44 and have wear in the center (wear starts about 1" from the edge of treads) after 28k. I figure the extra wear is worth the tires since they are so cheap. I do not rotate them either, but have spent about $50 on tire repairs (ran over 3 nails). :p

Check your tire pressure again. Maybe the gauge is messed up. It sounds as if they are still low with the wear and low mileage. Even though I tell Toyota to pump them up to 44 (as indicated on the tire) they only do it up to 35 psi so I go to the station and pump them up myself and use a digital gauge to be sure.

My wife's tire pressure was 38ish and she has wear on the edges. I just recently pumped it up to 44 also, but her ride is bumpier now.