1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Goodyear TripleTreds v. ComfortTreds and tire size

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by David, Aug 7, 2005.

1. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I live in Florida and do a lot of city and highway driving. I don't anticipate taking my 2004 Prius north so snow isn't an issue. I've read all the posts discussing the various high rated tires. Cost is not an issue. Highway safety, comfort, noise and mileage are the primary considerations.

Hands down the decision would be to buy the TripleTred if they came in the 185/65 size. So the first decision is between the OEM sized ComfortTreds or the different sized TripleTreds. If the decision is to go with the TTs, I then have to decide between the 195/60 or 65s. The larger diameter tire has some appeal but I can't figure out which size would have less impact on mileage.

Any thoughts ya'll have to help with the decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. MHR

MHR New Member

My vote is for the Goodyear TripleTreds 195-60's. I made this change at 300 miles and it is clear that they are awesome compaired to the stock OEM crap. The all weather performance is pretty much a no brainer.
    I got 49 and change avg MPG on my first tank of gas and hit 50 on the second tank (so far). No negitives on this choice. The Goodyear store near my home took my stock ones in trade + $300.00 (with road hazzard coverage) for the deal.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd go with ComforTreds since you'll be doing lotsa hwy driving and they're more comfortable. The TripleTreds are nicer and grippier for wetter conditions but the only thing stopping me (if I were to choose) is that I'll have to get a new set of wheels.

4. jchu

jchu New Member

Actually the stock wheels will take the Triple Treds. Have 12,000 miles on them so far and am very happy with them.

5. FredWB

FredWB New Member

I went with the Michelin Hydroedge and even tried the 195HR 60X 15 size. I think I should have stuck with that siaze because the car did track better and the mpg's were not much different. How are the Triple Treds for tracking? If you know what I'm talking about, how does it affect the tendency for the Prius to wander off easily and quickly in any direction it's pushed on the freeway? With all diagonal grooves (the hydroedge has two deep circumfrencial grooves) it should track better than the Hydroedge and feel more stable going straight. Thanks

6. jchu

jchu New Member

The TripleTreds track very well. This past winter I found myself commuting back and forth from Boise to Seattle through two passes, The Blues, and Snoqualmie Pass; both well known for miserable winter conditions. Even in these circumstances they behaved well with little tendency to drift. (note this is despite my oversite in getting a lower pkg. Prius WITHOUT VSC.)

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    niiice. Would've loved to get a set of those.

<sigh> Got the tyres on the Camry changed last Tues. For whatever reason, our dealer only carry Michelin and Bridgestone. I've phoned Canadian Tire and KalTire and neither carry Goodyear Assurance tyres. What gives? Had to use the OEM Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tyres.

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My experience with the TripleTreds seems less exciting than other people report.

A little over 5,000 miles on them, and a trip that used to net me 54MPG with the OEM tires nearly but didn't quite hit 50MPG Sunday. Still about 10% off what I used to get, but I feel more confident the car will stay on the road...

9. offersk

offersk Junior Member

Has anyone ever tried the Michelin-X Radials? They are the second highly rated tires in Consumer Reports and have the OEM size tires.

10. wilco

wilco New Member

stock
    185/65/15 = 855 revs/mile 17 lbs

Triple Tread
    195/60/15 = 863 revs/mile 23 lbs
    195/65/15 = 836 revs/mile 24 lbs

Looking at the numbers, it's obvious that both of the above sizes will reduce your mpg, with the larger tire reducing mpg more. That may seem counter-intuitive because the bigger tire makes fewer rotations for a given distance, but the extra energy required to move 7 extra pounds of rotational mass per wheel is substantial. Your speedo and odo would still be accurate enough with the smaller of the two, but would under-read by approx. 2% with the larger tires.

ComforTred
    185/65/15 = 855 revs/mile 18 lbs

Those numbers are close enough to stock to be negligible, but the difference in tread design, and to a lesser degree rubber compound, could make a difference in rolling resistance, thus lowering mpg.

It's up to you how much of a trade-off you are willing to make between mileage and traction. If it were me, I'd try to stick to a circumference/weight that is similar to the OEM tire, while getting a tread design/compound that improves traction over the OEM tire. Any resultant reduction in mpg would be worth it (to me) for safety reasons.

11. wilco

wilco New Member

Fountain Tire carries Goodyear. There are two in East Van, one in Burnaby, one in Richmond, etc...