1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Goodyear Viva 3 tires....any good?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by KeinoDoggy, Feb 25, 2016.

1. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Walmart has these on sale for $64 and was looking for opinions to use these as a replacement for my OEM tires. The price is excellent and has a 60,000 mile warranty. Biggest concern to me would be the effect on gas mileage. Any opinions?

Goodyear Viva 3 All-Season Tire 195/65R15 91T - Walmart.com

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just Googling, lot's of negative feedback here:

Top 10 Reviews of Wal-Mart Goodyear Viva 2

Kinda strange, the glowing praise in the walmart reviews. Makes you wonder. Also, the Walmart installers seem to be slow on the uptake, when problems arise. Lousy tire, lousy place??

3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One time on our Gen 2, I put the cheapest tires I could find (non-LRR) and I did notice the drop in gas mileage. You can do the math, and I determined that for the life of the tires, I actually lost money on the deal. That is, the extra cost for gas over the lifetime (and I only used 20,000 miles) of the tires, was more than what I would have paid for good LRR tires...

4. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sometimes a good deal, isn't, and sometimes it can turn out good. The type of driving you do and daily road conditions should come into play when making a tire decision. We went with the best tire we could find for our Prius. It cost a little more, but the tire is quiet, lasts a long time, plus rides and performs really well on the Prius without bringing MPGs down.

On the other hand, I put a cheap set of Walmart Douglas (made by Goodyear at the time) all season tires on our old Winter beater Saturn SW2 wagon the last year we had it, and that tire proved to be quite good, a beast in snow and fairly quiet on pavement. I didn't even switch to the snow tires that last Winter we used that car. Quite surprising, but it was just a Winter weather commuter car, for the most part. Fuel economy stayed on par with the Bridgestone summer tires that we had been running and the Pirelli Winter Carving snow tires. So no problem there.

I would never put a tire like that on a hybrid car. And I wouldn't think of using them for long distance travel. That tire got very poor reviews, but I knew that the Saturn would not pass state inspection one more time, so for that last year, they turned out to be a great deal for that particular car.

Do some research and consider where and how you drive your car before you dive into any tire purchase for your hybrid.