1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Goofy Question About License Plate Screws???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LOLGuy, Mar 22, 2005.

1. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does anyone know the size of the license plate screws for the Prius?? I had my temp tags taped to the inside of the rear window and am going to be getting my permanent plate soon. Thank you!

2. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    You mean for the rear plate? Didn't the car come with them?

3. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not to be a knucklehead, but if the car came with them I wouldn't have started this thread. Thanks for your post. :roll:

4. bobc

bobc New Member

LOLGuy,

The threads are 1.0x6. I bought some screws that are only 12mm long and they work just fine.

Go for the stainless steel variety so that they will last. A typical hardware store will have these as it's a common thread.

You probably know this already, but you need a total of four: Two for the front and two for the back, unless you're one of those rear plate only states.

Cheers,
    -bob

5. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you, Bob.

Only two needed here. Yep, FL is a one plate state!

Regards,

LOLGuy

6. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LOLGuy\";p=\"74864)</div>
    I apologize for my thoughtless post. I had never bought a new car that didn't have screws for the rear license plate, but some do not come with them for the front. I should have assumed you meant the rear.

Again, please accept my most sincere apologies for the post. :cry:

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Priapus didn't come with front screws. Well, sort of. Short story: some dolt at the dealership screwed the plate straight into the bumper.

I pulled the little metal "plugs" from the font plate holder, went to ACE Hardware and started working through the screws. If I remember correctly, a metric #6 screw fit perfectly.

So all-in-all, you will need screws of any size to bolt the holder to the front bumper. You will also need two metric #6 screws to bolt the plate to the holder.

When you go to put the holder on the front bumper, be sure to line up the holes in the holder with the dimples on the bumper.

Hope that helped or that I'm not saying stuff you already knew.

8. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nmrickie\";p=\"75373)</div>
    I apologize for my thoughtless post. I had never bought a new car that didn't have screws for the rear license plate, but some do not come with them for the front. I should have assumed you meant the rear.

Again, please accept my most sincere apologies for the post. :cry:
    [/b][/quote]
    No problem at all!!!

Sincere thanks for this post!

9. mswhealer

mswhealer New Member

I JUST took off the screws from my unneeded front plate... do you want them? I will mail them to you!

There are two.

10. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's very kind and thank you for the offer. Rather than put you to any trouble, I'll just pop into the hardware store tonight and pick up a couple.

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LOLGuy @ Mar 22 2005, 09:30 PM) [snapback]74794[/snapback]</div>
    I know LOLGuy must have the answer already, but in case anyone else has the same question:

* The license plate screws for the Prius and almost all other foreign made cars (read metric system) have a 6 mm diameter, while the typical American made car uses 1/4 inch diameter screws.

* The length of the screws required typically ranges from 10 mm to 30 mm, depending on whether it's the front or rear license plate, whether and what kind of plate frames are used, and whether there are additional add-ons such as license plate screw bumpers.

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Sep 24 2007, 06:46 PM) [snapback]517108[/snapback]</div>
    And whether your plate has a lot of capital letters or big numbers. Vanity plates sometimes need longer screws to get through all of the ego. :rolleyes:

Tom

13. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Old thread. Most auto parts stores carry the stainless screws in correct size. Usually they have a little kit that comes with a special allen key that has a hole drilled in the end that fits over a pin in the hex in the screw. This makes the plate a bit more theft proof but you have to not loose the special tool.

14. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobc @ Mar 23 2005, 04:46 PM) [snapback]75084[/snapback]</div>
    I'm assuming the screws I'm using came with the car but they aren't all the same. I'm going to have to go and buy a stainless steel one because one of the screws has rusted (the others are okay).

15. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 25 2007, 05:58 AM) [snapback]517353[/snapback]</div>

Special Ego Penetrating Screws (SEPS).

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Sep 25 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]517454[/snapback]</div>
    I never did quite understand the need for those "locking" screws. But I'm guessing that their main function is to deter theft of fancy license plate frames, rather than the license plates themselves.

BTW, my local auto parts store carried those locking stainless screws in the diameter (6 mm) I needed, but not in the length (30 mm) I needed for my front license plate and frame and screw bumper guards.

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Reviving an old thread here.

Tomorrow I turn in my Gen2 for a shiny new Prime. I'm crying and excited at the same time.
    I just went to remove the custom plate holder and one of the rear screws just turns: it does not come out. My suspicion is that the metal (female) part inside the hatch has come loose and is spinning with the screw.

The way I see it, there are two options:
    1) Figure it out within the next six waking hours.
    2) See if they have a solution that does not involve damaging my plate holder. I'm very fond of my holder.

Does anyone have any ideas?

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hold it with vice grips and drill through?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    +1 on drilling out the screw.

Pics of the holder that is worth saving :whistle:?

20. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you just apply some outward force as you unscrew - might be enough to get the nut on the inside to grab while you undo it. Good luck!