1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Google Blocks BMW

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Tempus, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  2. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, that summary is a little off base... Google has guidelines about how a site presents itself in order to be listed. One of those is that the content you give Google is the same as what you give a person. BMW didn't do that. They got delisted. I see no problem here...

(now, the filtering on the Chinese google, I do take issue with, but that's another matter entirely)

3. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And BMW says they didn't violate those rules.

Guess it depends on credibility. Google has less now than they did a while ago, and I suppose they'll have to live with people doubting their truthfulness and motives, eh?

Especially since it looks like Google Blacklisted them after the 'offending' links were already gone, and went public with it without talking to BMW or letting them know there was even an issue.

Looks to me like Google was trying to get a little credibility back by showing they are 'tough' on bad actors. Doesn't really impress me all that much but I hope they got the publicity mileage they were looking for.

4. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Grinding an axe much? :rolleyes:

Google is a advertiser sponsored service which is made available to consumers at no cost.
    They have every right to apply whatever rules they deem necessary to protect the quality of the product they deliver.
    They do this to provide a better product.
    Do you really believe they would reduce the quality of their product as some sort of tiny PR stunt that most people will never hear about?

If you don't agree with their quality criteria or motivations or are not satisfied with the quality of the free product they are offering, use another.